Old January 10th 18, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default Peoples expectations of others.

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 08:37:26 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

I've been given a Talktalk "Youview" box to fix, or diagnose, or
something, with the fault described as "doesn't work", and I've
never
been very good at clairvoyance. It powers up and goes to a menu
screen
of some sort but I can't go any further because they forgot to
include
the remote control. Assuming I'm eventually supplied with this, if
something doesn't make itself obvious very quickly I might just hand
it back marked "no fault found". I should really have learned by now
that life's too short to worry about other people's problems when
they
can't even tell you what they are.

Rod.

The TT boxes are made by Huawei. The DN360T does not have a HDD, the
DN370T has (IIRC) a 2.5" 500GB HDD. They are not a bad box, they give
good picture quality on SD and HD but they are
slllooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww to do anything. If it is a DN370T and
feels a bit light the HDD may have been removed. Look for the red
security label stuck over a screw on the bottom plate forward of
centre.

It's marked DN370T, and the red security label appears intact, so now
I'm slightly wiser about what I'm dealing with, thanks. The box has
been passed to me (so far sans remote, though I am assured it's on its
way) via a third party so I haven't actually spoken to the owner and
have no meaningful description of what's supposed to be wrong with it.

Also in the carrier bag in which all the bits were presented was a
single Talktalk branded homeplug type device and a short ethernet
cable, so I already have suspicions that it might turn out not to be a
problem with the box itself after all. I'm sure we've all been there.
When I get the remote I think I'll just give it as full an appraisal
as possible and hand it back with appropriate advice. I can't even
find a PDF user manual online, never mind anything resembling a
service manual, so it isn't worth trying to dive deep.