Old December 27th 17, 04:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default A discussion in that D-I-Y group

I think more can be conveyed by signing and facial expressions. Someone I
used to know loved signed programs as her reading was not that good and she
was slightly autistic.
I'm sure there are a lot of other reasons.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 13:49:18 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

On 27/12/2017 10:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
Has probably deliberately been winding me up as several folk over there
do
not like AD subtitles or in the case in point, signing.

The problem as I see it from reading some web sites is this. If
bandwidth
were not an issue, it would be easy to add a signed video track to the
output of a channel and hide it when its not wanted, but because these
days
at least, bandwidth is seemingly cut to the bone, this is not done so
one
gets the ludicrous situation where its actually cheaper on bandwidth to
leave the signer on screen all the time!
IE its part of the transmission much as AD is on the I player etc,but of
course this would not be tolerated by the average viewer, so any viewer
who
needs the signing has to wait for the repeat to see the signed version,
which also ****es of the viewer who finds the signer distracting.
There really should be enough bandwidth headroom given for signing in
my
view.

Signing is bound to use a lot of bandwidth, unless a simplified
silhouette of a pair of hands is used, which can be superimposed on the
existing video as it is with subtitles. I suspect that people who use
sign language are used to have an actual person in front of them and
rely on facial expressions.

Why aren't subtitles sufficient?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland