Old December 17th 17, 10:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default phone scam involving television service

On 17/12/2017 10:59, Clive Page wrote:
We get junk calls on our landline every day or so.* Mildly annoying but
not yet enough to actually spend money on trying to thwart them.** In
the past they have usually been from "Microsoft Security Department" or
else "BT broadband security" or something computer related.* But for the
last few weeks most calls have started by saying something like "It's
about your television service - you are currently paying N pounds per
month for your maintenance...".* Since this is completely untrue, I just
put down the phone at that point to save time.

But it occurs to me that I can't work out what this particular scam is,
does anyone know?* Maybe I should play them along for a bit if I get
time over Christmas, if I need a bit of mild entertainment by then.

I wonder what the equivalent is of revealing, after they have spent a
lot of time trying to guide you through the installation of some
malware, that your computer runs Linux.* Maybe that I have a 405-line
analogue TV?

If 1471 reveals a number, spoofed or otherwise, from which they are
calling, put it into Google and you'll almost certainly be able to find
out what the scam is.

If you're on BT, sign up to their free Call Protect 1572 service and set
the rules to eliminate the calls you don't want. Works for me.