Old February 20th 17, 09:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Update: Humax overheating

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 00:56:01 +0000
Davey wrote:

This evening, my running HDR Fox T2 would not respond to any controls,
not even the button on the front. I unplugged it, and powered it up
again, and it works.
Thanks to the Customised Firmware, I was able to see that it was
overheating, so I put a small fan on, pointing at it, and the
reported temp. inside came down from 55 deg. to 42 deg. Ok, that's
fine for tonight. Check one up for the CF; without it, I would have
had no indication what the cause of the problem was.

Tomorrow's job is clearly to open it up and clean the interior, as I
am assuming that it's plugged up with dust and cat fur. It has been in
exactly the same place for a couple of years, so this is new, and it's
not even spring yet, let alone summer.

Is opening it up as simple as I hope? If it's like a DVD player, it
will be a few Phillips screws, and the inside will be laid bare. Is it
really that simple, and are there any other things to look for while
it's opened up? It's well out of warranty.

I have today discovered that the fan appears to be working, by setting
the minimum fan speed at 80%, and watching the temperature drop. I am
now trying to find a sensible lower speed value.
So the fan is running, but not very efficiently, which means it may be
dirty, almost dead, or just very tired. It looks as though I can run it,
for now, but need to source a replacement. Humax have not responded
to my enquiry, as yet.

--
Davey.