Old December 1st 16, 11:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default I dislike ordering stuff that is not in stock

On 01/12/2016 11:50, NY wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message

Yonks ago I used my mains powered shaver on a plane, it didn't sound
happy, though it still did the job.

I'd have expected that sockets which were intended to be used by the
public, rather than for avionics etc, would be 60 Hz (or 50 Hz for 240
V) for that very reason, even if it has to be generated by rotary
converter or rectifier/inverter from the plane's own 400 Hz supply.

Not having an oscilloscope to hand, it was hard to tell what the supply
was :-) I must admit I assumed it was 400 Hz, but you're right, it makes
more sense that it was something 50/60 Hz ish.

I was on the way to the US, and the shaver just ran with a slightly
higher 'tizz' once there (as you'd expect). Perhaps the plane's supply
was 60 Hz, but nothing resembling a sine wave !

--
Mark