Old December 1st 16, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default I dislike ordering stuff that is not in stock

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 17:05:22 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , d writes
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 13:54:57 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:
A more accurate explanation is that a practical transformer can be
considered as having a primary which consists of two windings in
parallel. Winding 1 carries the current which transfers its power to the
secondary winding. Winding 2 carries the current required to generate
the magnetic field which facilitates the transfer - but otherwise any
current flowing in Winding 2 is wasted.

Eh? Without current in the primary winding there is no magnetic field or
current in the secondary. The secondary is purely passive surely?

Like I said, a practical transformer can be considered as having a
primary which consists of two windings in parallel (Windings 1 and 2).
[Note that I'm not saying is that there are two physical primary
windings.] I have made no reference to the secondary.

Ok, but from my laymans point of view a real world transformer has 2 coils,
whether you call them windings or primary/secondary is immaterial.

http://bit.ly/2fLP3xX

Bit over my head I'm afraid. I did nice tidy digital electronics (as part of a
CS course), analogue is all a bit voodoo to me

--
Spud