Old September 4th 15, 10:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
_Unknown_Freelancer_

Default 4k TV on Freesat or Freeview?

"Paul Ratcliffe" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 12:56:00 +0100, _Unknown_Freelancer_ wrote:

FTR, I live right next to a major BT exchange.
There isnt even a cabinet between me and the exchange.
I get 13Mb/s!! (twisted pair phone line)

Your cable is faulty then.

No, its not faulty.
Its been tested. No faults.

I'm sorry but it is (or your modem/router is, or has set an excessively
high SNR margin). Whether BT Opensore classify it as a fault is a
different matter.

No need to apologise.

I wasn't.

Yes you did.
"I'm sorry but............"

Where was your comma?

The ADSL2 modem syncs to 14Mb/s
Transfers top out at 12-13Mb/s
To quote a lyric, and thats just the way it is. ....not faulty.

Your understanding is flawed. Or you are exaggerating about being
'next door' to the exchange.
Why don't you provide some evidence like your line attenuation and
SNR margin figures?

No. Not exaggerating.
I could go out my front door, throw a handy pebble and smash an exchange
window without leaving the property.

And if I really must:
SNR 8.0 dB - not much noise there then
Attenuation 12.5 dB - that will be a short length of wire
Sync speed 14335 kb/s - meh

I have a colleague who works for a known ISP.
Aparently an industry practice is for ISPs to intentionally turn down
data
rates for domestic ADSL connections.
If they start to get complants they turn them back up marginally.....
then,
bizarely, they get 'thanks' for fixing the 'problem'.

And how exactly can the ISP affect the sync speed of the router? This
is outside their realm of control. You are clearly beyond the boundaries
of your knowledge.

Thats a metaphorical mighty handbag you're holding there.

Where abouts precisely in that parahraph did I employ the words "sync speed"
?

I wrote "....intentionally turn down data rates...".
That is, throttle your bandwidth. Which we know they all do.

My point was that they _intentionally_ throttle EVERYONE'S bandwidth down
until they begin to get complaints.
Doing so defines a lower limit to which their customers find acceptable.

As I have written previously, I am quite happy with my 12Mb/s connection.
No matter what everyone else writes or boasts, no matter how bizarre you
find it, I do not need, nor want for, an increased broadband speed at this
time.
I'm very well aware some may find this utterly inconceivable. That someone
does not want faster internet.
But hey, I'm cool with it.

[snip the pointless story]

/pointless post