Old August 24th 15, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
_Unknown_Freelancer_

Default 4k TV on Freesat or Freeview?

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
_Unknown_Freelancer_ /dev/null wrote:
I thought various actors, etc, had requirements for this written into
their contracts when the do films. Size of name, placing in order,
time on screen, etc. And for a studio, offerring 'end credit' would be
cheaper than cash. 8-]

True. But this is all for placement in 'the film'. Film contracts cant
be extended to TV transmissions....

They can - if the media company require it. And indeed, the contracts
between the media company and the actors, etc, might/could require them to
do so. So it will depend on the details of the contractual chain and how a
court would view it.

It seems reasonable that any such contract between an actor and the media
company would be for how the result appears when the resulting film is
shown. That could apply to TV just as much to a range of cinemas.

it would be impracticable. Imaging you make a film now, and you try to
set down conditions for TV broadcasts of it hence forth. No broadcaster
would want to go near your film because of the snake pit of requisits
surrounding it.

I note your opinion, but suspect it would simply be an excuse trotted out
by the media company. Might not stand up.

By 'media company' are you referring you 'broadcaster'??

If so, imagine Disney vs ITV ....doubt the broadcaster would ignore it.
If not, then which do you refer to in the use of 'media company'?

I doubt we'll know one way or the other, though, as the large media
companies would simply ignore anyone not big enough to sue them. That's
probably the real root of any "impracticality" I suspect.

As Ive written before, no film channel, subscription service, by whatever
means, does anything with the end credits.
ALL of them allow the end credits to run in full, untouched.... because
theyre a film channel.
They dont need to crash out of the film to get to the 10pm news, or promo
tomorrows big footy match.
So no-one has any grievancies there.... unless DTT compression crushes all
the detail, removing legibility from it.

Its ONLY terrestrial/traditional channels who do this.
And they, on the whole, only transmit a few films a year. (When compared to
a film channel.)

So youve produced and distributed this film which has a plethora of
conditions attached to its TV transmission rights.
Supposing it actually did quite well in the cinemas.
One year later, various 'premium' film channels start to show it.
But they're not bothered, as they should credits in full.

Two years later, unless Rod has his way, terrestrial channels then have the
option to show it.
Do you honestly think ITV, CH4, CH5 (HA HAAAA!), or BBC would go near it?
Unlikely they would.
Its likely they'd just pick another film to show.

Film producer loses. ....and then the royalties loss too.
There again, how can you show you've lost the financial benefit of something
you never had?! (rhetorical question)

Unless you, Jim, actually represent the actors guild, or Equity, then it too
is highly unlikely there will be any such court case this century.

As Ive already written, if there were, and the film producers/actors won,
then broadcasters would find some new means of screwing the film industry
over.
Its a balance of power.

Just off the top of my head, hows about my tv channel shows your film (with
interleaved adverts), and then crashes out of it as the credits start, so we
can push on to show a promo for Britains Tastiest Village, more adverts, and
then round 5 of Live Monkey Tennis from Carlisle.
Four hours later, at 2am, we then show the credits for your film in full,
untouched, and at the correct speed.
Whats the problem?
We've shown your credits in full, and untouched.
Never said anything about an unbroken sequence in your infinitely tight
conditions did you now?

Hold on. I didnt write that para above just to be facetious.
My point, again, is that broadcasters will just find some new way to screw
the film studios back.
Again, film studios may win to begin with.
But in the end, no-one wins.

Thus, whats the point of any such court case.
Leave it as is, then both parties win.

Electronics
http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scot...o/electron.htm