Old July 22nd 15, 10:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

Default What units?

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:42:29 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 00:36:29 +0100, Davey
wrote:

There is one of those 'Destroyed in Seconds' programmes on Quest right
now. The first item I saw showed a dragster crash. The subtitles gave
distances, speeds etc in Imperial units, but the commentary used metric
units. Most confusing.

Soon after Canada changed to metric, I was at the Hope Slide, a place
in British Columbia where some years before there had been a terrible
landslide. There was a descriptive board, with all distances quoted in
Imperial units. But the Metricators had come along, and made a small
block of wood to fit over each written measurement, with the new metric
values instead.
'Amateurish' only begins to describe the effect.

For everyone's education:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Slide

http://www.penmachine.com/photoessay...hopeslide.html

It really irritates me when text written with imperial units has then
been metricated, and says things like 'the two points were roughly a
yard (0.914 metres) apart', or 'we had to drive about a mile (1.609
kilometres) further'. If it's approximately an imperial unit then give
an approximate metric unit, not an exact conversion, FFS!

When it became a requirement to express weight of foodstuff in metric,
as a protest, a local delicatessen put the metric equivalent of a
pound or quarter-pound in grammes, but to 20 or more decimal places.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%