Old January 23rd 15, 02:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Max Demian

Default "Book Me" +green dot.

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 22/01/2015 23:04, Max Demian wrote:
"Indy Jess wrote in message

My LG television records to a USB hard drive provided that I use a
specific USB port and I allow the TV to format the disc before first
use.

Windows won't then recognise the disc as anything other than
"unformatted". Linux will read the disc but I can't make any logical
sense of the folder structure or file names, and my version of Linux
Mint
doesn't know what to open the files with.

That's how it's supposed to work. It isn't designed to allow recorded
programmes to be transferred to another device.

But if my LG TV gives up the ghost and I buy a Samsung or Panasonic as a
replacement, would I be able to watch the programmes on the disc that the
LG had recorded? Or is this a stealth manufacturer lock-in with each one
imposing their own recording standard, incompatible with anyone else's?

More likely the absence of any standard format for files and content that
would work on any machine the user is likely to want to play the files on.

--
Max Demian