Old January 23rd 15, 09:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Indy Jess John

Default "Book Me" +green dot.

On 22/01/2015 23:04, Max Demian wrote:
"Indy Jess wrote in message

My LG television records to a USB hard drive provided that I use a
specific USB port and I allow the TV to format the disc before first use.

Windows won't then recognise the disc as anything other than
"unformatted". Linux will read the disc but I can't make any logical
sense of the folder structure or file names, and my version of Linux Mint
doesn't know what to open the files with.

That's how it's supposed to work. It isn't designed to allow recorded
programmes to be transferred to another device.

But if my LG TV gives up the ghost and I buy a Samsung or Panasonic as a
replacement, would I be able to watch the programmes on the disc that
the LG had recorded? Or is this a stealth manufacturer lock-in with
each one imposing their own recording standard, incompatible with anyone
else's?