Old February 21st 14, 06:12 AM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.video.ptv.mythtv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
-= F =-

Default Use of the Rasperry Pi as a Mythtv frontend

James Harris wrote:

It seems a good idea to try both XBMC and Mythweb. There are three XBMC
distributions for the Pi mentioned here

first - as a disclaimer, I've never tried XBMC, so I can't do a "side by
side" comparison. I have no clue how XBMC works. I can only claim that I
did some research before installing any Home Theater type software. I
decided on MythTV as being the most feature packed. I did an install of
MythDora, which seemed the easiest approach (not that I am computer shy.)
With the MythDora install came all the Myth packages. MythWeb being one of
them.

I'd like to make it perfectly clear, MythWeb gets installed on the MythTV
backend computer NOT on your Pi. It's a web server setup for MythTV not a
web client for the Pi. After it's up and running there will be no need for
anything to be installed on the Pi or any other unit, ever, that has access
to your home network, once MythWeb is up and running.

This is all I have to do in a web browser, any web browser:

http://192.168.1.30/mythweb/

That's it. I'm "in".

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi/FAQ

They are OpenELEC, Raspbmc and XBian. Would you guys recommend one over
another. If it makes a difference the 'interesting' parts of my setup are
or would be

1. Media files and database stored on a server with limited graphics card.
The server has the tuners and runs the Mythtv backend.

A "limited" graphics card would of little consequence. You don't even need a
extremely powerful computer to serve streaming video. Bandwidth on your
network will be the bottleneck. The computer I use most to receive streams
from my MythTV setup is on a wire. Two of my wireless setups function ok
almost all the time (being very few sporadic dropouts and related issues).

By database I assume you mean the MySQL database. Not an issue.

2. Media files stored in multiple directories on different disks of the
server but are accessible through either NFS or SMB.

Hmmmm... MythTV from what I have seen (I've actually run two versions of
MythDora over time) both used Logical Volume Management to aggregate
multiple disk drive under a single directory. I think I'm using the
default: /storage/videos but no matter, the directories are configurable. I
believe all your videos are required to be in one directory and not
spread out over various drives/directories. Same with music. Same with
recordings. Same with posters. Same with pictures for the picture gallery
etc., etc.

I have about a terabyte and half of various IDE and SATA drives setup to
comprise my video directory using the aforementioned LVM. I use vsftp for
transferring files, when the need arises. Why? It's a common enough
protocol that any computer can run an FTP client quickly and easily. FTP is
restricted to my home network, only. No port forwarding for outside access.
I set up the FTP server and a VNC server to both be handled via XINETD.
Sleep most of the time. Come up only when needed.

Can each of the XBMC systems run a browser?

I can't answer this but by "run a browser" I assume you mean "run IN a
browser". MythWeb certainly will and you'll have access to many features
via a web browser. After all, that's it's whole point!

If you actually mean "run a web browser" so you can surf the web, there is a
mini web browser for MythTV but I don't believe it's part of the MythWeb
install. However, I leave that research up to you to verify.

Other than that, I'm probably not savvy enough to know how XBMC works to
know what info you're after here.

If so I could try the Mythweb
solution too on the same build.

Have you seen:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythWeb

4 Key Features
4.1 TV
4.2 Music
4.3 Video
4.4 Weather
4.5 Status
4.6 Statistics
4.7 Logs
4.8 Settings
4.9 Favicons For Your Server

and also:

Mythweb also has some unique capabilities that are only available through
the web interface such as allowing for the change of key bindings and other
settings.

Indeed, many functions you might want to perform on your MythBox are faster
or easier through MythWeb.

So, basically, with MythWeb, you're almost there already, it would seem. If
you have the backend running, it's not like you'd be installing a whole new
setup. Just add in the MythWeb goodies.

Another disclaimer: I didn't add in all the little parts of MythTV one at a
time to get a full blown MthTV experience. As I stated, I went with
MythDora which is/was a compilation of all things Myth, built on Fedora,
all packed into an installable ISO that I burned to a DVD. Boot, install,
config and go! Some 5-6 years ago. The actual web server you'll running is
Apache and you'll need a few other things installed and working. How easy
or how hard or how much configging it takes to get MythWeb running from
scratch, I can't tell you. I can only say how it works when it is up and
running. Very well for me, would be my comment. It would be interesting to
see if it would fit your needs to serve your Pi well, too. If you lived
near me, I'd say come over and we'd test it!!

---
-= F =-
---
If linux and Windows were women, Windows would be a whore and linux would be
a lady that requires that you develop a relationship first.