Old February 19th 14, 07:37 AM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.video.ptv.mythtv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
-= F =-

Default Use of the Rasperry Pi as a Mythtv frontend

Dom wrote:

On 18/02/14 22:55, James Harris wrote:
(For any who don't know, Mythtv is an awesome TV recording and playback
system and the Raspberry Pi is an Arm computer that is tiny and yet
capable of 1080-line video output.)

Is it feasible to use the Raspberry Pi as a Mythtv frontend? It certainly
has the graphics output facilities but I wonder how fast the Pi would
find and read the video files.

Option 1: run the mythtv-frontend program on the Raspberry Pi. Would this
work? Would it overload the Pi? I have recorded thousands of TV
programmes and my current Core2 machine takes two or three seconds to
carry out some tasks such as to build up and display the list of
recordings.

Option 2: run something lightweight on the Pi and access the files
directly. The video files are stored as standard mpegs that could be
easily played but the file names are made up from the channel and the
date of recording. The frontend would need some way to read the database
to map the title and subtitle of recordings to the file name.

Any other options? Anyone using the Pi for this purpose?

I'm doing something like Option 2, I have a few simple scripts. One that
compares a list of recordings on my MythTV backend to a list held on my
Pi and copies over the file and some details about the recording to a
USB HD on my Pi. It also removes "watched" files from the Pi and asks
the backend to delete recordings that are no longer needed.

The other main script scans the details on the Pi, lists out available
recordings in a text-based menu and uses omxplayer to play the selected
one. It then gives options to mark the recording as "watched" and to
flag the original file for deletion.

(reply for both James and Dom)

Maybe I'm not understanding the need for your described method because I
don't have a Pi but wouldn't running MythWeb (the MythTV web server) be an
easier solution? Of course I understand you'd need to be within reach of
your home network for simple streaming but if you're copying files to a USB
drive, you aren't much portable in that situation anyway.

The web server allows for a lot of interaction with the backend via a web
browser with javascript including watching TV recordings and movie streams,
scheduling and deleting recordings, downloading from the backend computer
if that's what you wish to do, configging the system and has many
capabilities with music streaming, also. If you really wanted to, you could
set things up on your network (passwording, port forwarding, etc. etc.) to
access your MythWeb server via the Internet from anywhere you happen to be
if and when you have 'Net access.

I have MythDora 5.0 running on an "always on" computer that serves at least
4 computers on my home network. Access to the backend is *always* through a
web browser. Only the hosting computer has a myth frontend on it. On the
very rare occasion I need an actual myth frontend, I use VNC to "see" the
MythTV host computer or I just sit at the host itself. I access the backend
about 50/50 sitting at the host vs using VNC.

All my computers are running VLC and I setup my web browser/s (mostly Opera)
to associate MPEG with VLC and just point/click and there it is...
streaming video on the remote computer/s through Opera/VLC.

So, it sounds like you're not running MythWeb on your backend. I suggest you
investigate it. It will have all the features you'll need to watch,
schedule and download your streams and a whole lot more. This of course
assumes that your Pi has a web browser that can be used to access and watch
video streams via HTTP. (I would imagine it can, eh?)

--
---
-= F =-