Old November 25th 03, 07:57 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Yannick

Default Getting started

Regrding the PVR, I would try and source a tivo, they are outstanding
machines and really change your perception of TV. Imagine always having
a choice of programs you want to watch...Imagine programing a series
once and only once, not every episode individually (plus when a new
series starts it automatically picks it up again)...Imagine a system
that learns the type of programs you likes and records them for you
automatically.

Tivo comes as standard with a 40Gb disk but is easily upgradable to
240Gb plus you can also network it on to a home network and use DSL for
updates.

The downside is that you can only get Tivo from ebay now as thomson have
stopped producing UK machines.

In a year or so Windows Media Center maybe a viable option but I would
certainly avoid the sky+ box, there seems to be a lot of issues with the
software and does not offer half the features of a Tivo.

Phil

Wik wrote:
Greetings all,

Nomex suit on
As a newbie to this arena, I come seeking knowledge.

We have Telewest cable (analogue, still!) and a nice big widescreen TV,
surround sound, yadda, yadda.

Two things that my g/f and I have been mulling over:

1) succumbing to the lures of Telewest's digital cable service (hey, we've
got everything else!)

2) some form of PVR. My g/f's been driving this one as she's seen the Sky+
ads, TiVo, etc.

I'm an IT spod by "trade" and as such, we have a whole host of systems in
the house doing generic PC stuff.

I've been contemplating building a discrete PVR box for a wee while, now,
but having never tried before, need some guidance. I was thinking of a
"Shuttle" style PC with a decent sized (120GB) drive combined with a card
like the Hauppage WinTV PVR 350. Sling a 802.11g wireless card in the
back, hook it up to the broadband and away we go.

Or am I being immensely naive and there's a lot more to it than I've
considered?

Are there better ways of going about this?

Anyone have any experience of similar or alternate solutions?

Hardware and software recommendations?

Thanks in advance.