A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.tv.video.pvr Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.tv.video.pvr Personal Video Recorder (PVR) (uk.tech.tv.video.pvr) Hard disk-based Personal Video Recorder(PVR) systems.

Use of the Rasperry Pi as a Mythtv frontend



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 18th 14, 10:55 PM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.video.ptv.mythtv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
James Harris[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Use of the Rasperry Pi as a Mythtv frontend

(For any who don't know, Mythtv is an awesome TV recording and playback
system and the Raspberry Pi is an Arm computer that is tiny and yet capable
of 1080-line video output.)

Is it feasible to use the Raspberry Pi as a Mythtv frontend? It certainly
has the graphics output facilities but I wonder how fast the Pi would find
and read the video files.

Option 1: run the mythtv-frontend program on the Raspberry Pi. Would this
work? Would it overload the Pi? I have recorded thousands of TV programmes
and my current Core2 machine takes two or three seconds to carry out some
tasks such as to build up and display the list of recordings.

Option 2: run something lightweight on the Pi and access the files directly.
The video files are stored as standard mpegs that could be easily played but
the file names are made up from the channel and the date of recording. The
frontend would need some way to read the database to map the title and
subtitle of recordings to the file name.

Any other options? Anyone using the Pi for this purpose?

James


  #2  
Old February 19th 14, 06:14 AM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.video.ptv.mythtv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Dom
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Use of the Rasperry Pi as a Mythtv frontend

On 18/02/14 22:55, James Harris wrote:
(For any who don't know, Mythtv is an awesome TV recording and playback
system and the Raspberry Pi is an Arm computer that is tiny and yet capable
of 1080-line video output.)

Is it feasible to use the Raspberry Pi as a Mythtv frontend? It certainly
has the graphics output facilities but I wonder how fast the Pi would find
and read the video files.

Option 1: run the mythtv-frontend program on the Raspberry Pi. Would this
work? Would it overload the Pi? I have recorded thousands of TV programmes
and my current Core2 machine takes two or three seconds to carry out some
tasks such as to build up and display the list of recordings.

Option 2: run something lightweight on the Pi and access the files directly.
The video files are stored as standard mpegs that could be easily played but
the file names are made up from the channel and the date of recording. The
frontend would need some way to read the database to map the title and
subtitle of recordings to the file name.

Any other options? Anyone using the Pi for this purpose?


I'm doing something like Option 2, I have a few simple scripts. One that
compares a list of recordings on my MythTV backend to a list held on my
Pi and copies over the file and some details about the recording to a
USB HD on my Pi. It also removes "watched" files from the Pi and asks
the backend to delete recordings that are no longer needed.

The other main script scans the details on the Pi, lists out available
recordings in a text-based menu and uses omxplayer to play the selected
one. It then gives options to mark the recording as "watched" and to
flag the original file for deletion.

  #3  
Old February 19th 14, 08:37 AM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.video.ptv.mythtv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
-= F =-
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Use of the Rasperry Pi as a Mythtv frontend

Dom wrote:

On 18/02/14 22:55, James Harris wrote:
(For any who don't know, Mythtv is an awesome TV recording and playback
system and the Raspberry Pi is an Arm computer that is tiny and yet
capable of 1080-line video output.)

Is it feasible to use the Raspberry Pi as a Mythtv frontend? It certainly
has the graphics output facilities but I wonder how fast the Pi would
find and read the video files.

Option 1: run the mythtv-frontend program on the Raspberry Pi. Would this
work? Would it overload the Pi? I have recorded thousands of TV
programmes and my current Core2 machine takes two or three seconds to
carry out some tasks such as to build up and display the list of
recordings.

Option 2: run something lightweight on the Pi and access the files
directly. The video files are stored as standard mpegs that could be
easily played but the file names are made up from the channel and the
date of recording. The frontend would need some way to read the database
to map the title and subtitle of recordings to the file name.

Any other options? Anyone using the Pi for this purpose?


I'm doing something like Option 2, I have a few simple scripts. One that
compares a list of recordings on my MythTV backend to a list held on my
Pi and copies over the file and some details about the recording to a
USB HD on my Pi. It also removes "watched" files from the Pi and asks
the backend to delete recordings that are no longer needed.

The other main script scans the details on the Pi, lists out available
recordings in a text-based menu and uses omxplayer to play the selected
one. It then gives options to mark the recording as "watched" and to
flag the original file for deletion.


(reply for both James and Dom)

Maybe I'm not understanding the need for your described method because I
don't have a Pi but wouldn't running MythWeb (the MythTV web server) be an
easier solution? Of course I understand you'd need to be within reach of
your home network for simple streaming but if you're copying files to a USB
drive, you aren't much portable in that situation anyway.

The web server allows for a lot of interaction with the backend via a web
browser with javascript including watching TV recordings and movie streams,
scheduling and deleting recordings, downloading from the backend computer
if that's what you wish to do, configging the system and has many
capabilities with music streaming, also. If you really wanted to, you could
set things up on your network (passwording, port forwarding, etc. etc.) to
access your MythWeb server via the Internet from anywhere you happen to be
if and when you have 'Net access.

I have MythDora 5.0 running on an "always on" computer that serves at least
4 computers on my home network. Access to the backend is *always* through a
web browser. Only the hosting computer has a myth frontend on it. On the
very rare occasion I need an actual myth frontend, I use VNC to "see" the
MythTV host computer or I just sit at the host itself. I access the backend
about 50/50 sitting at the host vs using VNC.

All my computers are running VLC and I setup my web browser/s (mostly Opera)
to associate MPEG with VLC and just point/click and there it is...
streaming video on the remote computer/s through Opera/VLC.

So, it sounds like you're not running MythWeb on your backend. I suggest you
investigate it. It will have all the features you'll need to watch,
schedule and download your streams and a whole lot more. This of course
assumes that your Pi has a web browser that can be used to access and watch
video streams via HTTP. (I would imagine it can, eh?)

--
---
-= F =-
---
If linux and Windows were women, Windows would be a whore and linux would be
a lady that requires that you develop a relationship first.

  #4  
Old February 19th 14, 11:11 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
T i m
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 228
Default Use of the Rasperry Pi as a Mythtv frontend

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 01:38:53 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

James Harris wrote:

(For any who don't know, Mythtv is an awesome TV recording and playback
system and the Raspberry Pi is an Arm computer that is tiny and yet capable
of 1080-line video output.)

Is it feasible to use the Raspberry Pi as a Mythtv frontend? It certainly
has the graphics output facilities but I wonder how fast the Pi would find
and read the video files.

Option 1: run the mythtv-frontend program on the Raspberry Pi. Would this
work? Would it overload the Pi? I have recorded thousands of TV programmes
and my current Core2 machine takes two or three seconds to carry out some
tasks such as to build up and display the list of recordings.

Option 2: run something lightweight on the Pi and access the files directly.
The video files are stored as standard mpegs that could be easily played but
the file names are made up from the channel and the date of recording. The
frontend would need some way to read the database to map the title and
subtitle of recordings to the file name.

Any other options? Anyone using the Pi for this purpose?




I downloaded the XBMC image for that purpose. Works good.


+1 on the 'works' bit but I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say 'good'
(considering everything etc).

It can see my network share, it can play many of the videos and
recordings, it can stream some stuff but I wouldn't call the general
interface 'snappy' nor the final solution ideal.

Now, for a fairly flexible, small and cheap platform I would agree
it's pretty good (and why I have one of the first real production run
and one of the later 512M models) but (and ignoring the price
difference of course) I get more flexibility and functionality from a
Mac Mini dual booting OSX and XP (and don't have need for HD).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I think a part of what doesn't help with the whole RPi experience
as a media machine is (for me) the lack of good / dedicated remote. I
do have a remote (and it works) and / or I can / have used the phone
as a remote but the lack of a good / simple / dedicated remote and /
or keyboard doesn't help the overall experience. The problem is paying
more for the remote than the unit it controls! ;-(



  #5  
Old February 20th 14, 03:40 PM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.video.ptv.mythtv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
James Harris[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Use of the Rasperry Pi as a Mythtv frontend

"Stefan Enzinger" wrote in message
...
On 2014-02-19 09:37, -= F =- wrote:
Dom wrote:

On 18/02/14 22:55, James Harris wrote:


Is it feasible to use the Raspberry Pi as a Mythtv frontend?


Maybe I'm not understanding the need for your described method because I
don't have a Pi but wouldn't running MythWeb (the MythTV web server) be
an
easier solution?


Browser were a bit slow on the rPi the last time I've checked. XBMC is
great and designed to use via remote control, keyboard or mouse.


It seems a good idea to try both XBMC and Mythweb. There are three XBMC
distributions for the Pi mentioned here

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi/FAQ

They are OpenELEC, Raspbmc and XBian. Would you guys recommend one over
another. If it makes a difference the 'interesting' parts of my setup are or
would be

1. Media files and database stored on a server with limited graphics card.
The server has the tuners and runs the Mythtv backend.

2. Media files stored in multiple directories on different disks of the
server but are accessible through either NFS or SMB.

Can each of the XBMC systems run a browser? If so I could try the Mythweb
solution too on the same build.

James


  #6  
Old February 21st 14, 07:12 AM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.video.ptv.mythtv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
-= F =-
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Use of the Rasperry Pi as a Mythtv frontend

James Harris wrote:

It seems a good idea to try both XBMC and Mythweb. There are three XBMC
distributions for the Pi mentioned here


first - as a disclaimer, I've never tried XBMC, so I can't do a "side by
side" comparison. I have no clue how XBMC works. I can only claim that I
did some research before installing any Home Theater type software. I
decided on MythTV as being the most feature packed. I did an install of
MythDora, which seemed the easiest approach (not that I am computer shy.)
With the MythDora install came all the Myth packages. MythWeb being one of
them.

I'd like to make it perfectly clear, MythWeb gets installed on the MythTV
backend computer NOT on your Pi. It's a web server setup for MythTV not a
web client for the Pi. After it's up and running there will be no need for
anything to be installed on the Pi or any other unit, ever, that has access
to your home network, once MythWeb is up and running.

This is all I have to do in a web browser, any web browser:

http://192.168.1.30/mythweb/

That's it. I'm "in".

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi/FAQ

They are OpenELEC, Raspbmc and XBian. Would you guys recommend one over
another. If it makes a difference the 'interesting' parts of my setup are
or would be

1. Media files and database stored on a server with limited graphics card.
The server has the tuners and runs the Mythtv backend.


A "limited" graphics card would of little consequence. You don't even need a
extremely powerful computer to serve streaming video. Bandwidth on your
network will be the bottleneck. The computer I use most to receive streams
from my MythTV setup is on a wire. Two of my wireless setups function ok
almost all the time (being very few sporadic dropouts and related issues).

By database I assume you mean the MySQL database. Not an issue.

2. Media files stored in multiple directories on different disks of the
server but are accessible through either NFS or SMB.


Hmmmm... MythTV from what I have seen (I've actually run two versions of
MythDora over time) both used Logical Volume Management to aggregate
multiple disk drive under a single directory. I think I'm using the
default: /storage/videos but no matter, the directories are configurable. I
believe all your videos are required to be in one directory and not
spread out over various drives/directories. Same with music. Same with
recordings. Same with posters. Same with pictures for the picture gallery
etc., etc.

I have about a terabyte and half of various IDE and SATA drives setup to
comprise my video directory using the aforementioned LVM. I use vsftp for
transferring files, when the need arises. Why? It's a common enough
protocol that any computer can run an FTP client quickly and easily. FTP is
restricted to my home network, only. No port forwarding for outside access.
I set up the FTP server and a VNC server to both be handled via XINETD.
Sleep most of the time. Come up only when needed.

Can each of the XBMC systems run a browser?


I can't answer this but by "run a browser" I assume you mean "run IN a
browser". MythWeb certainly will and you'll have access to many features
via a web browser. After all, that's it's whole point!

If you actually mean "run a web browser" so you can surf the web, there is a
mini web browser for MythTV but I don't believe it's part of the MythWeb
install. However, I leave that research up to you to verify.

Other than that, I'm probably not savvy enough to know how XBMC works to
know what info you're after here.

If so I could try the Mythweb
solution too on the same build.


Have you seen:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythWeb

4 Key Features
4.1 TV
4.2 Music
4.3 Video
4.4 Weather
4.5 Status
4.6 Statistics
4.7 Logs
4.8 Settings
4.9 Favicons For Your Server

and also:

Mythweb also has some unique capabilities that are only available through
the web interface such as allowing for the change of key bindings and other
settings.

Indeed, many functions you might want to perform on your MythBox are faster
or easier through MythWeb.


So, basically, with MythWeb, you're almost there already, it would seem. If
you have the backend running, it's not like you'd be installing a whole new
setup. Just add in the MythWeb goodies.

Another disclaimer: I didn't add in all the little parts of MythTV one at a
time to get a full blown MthTV experience. As I stated, I went with
MythDora which is/was a compilation of all things Myth, built on Fedora,
all packed into an installable ISO that I burned to a DVD. Boot, install,
config and go! Some 5-6 years ago. The actual web server you'll running is
Apache and you'll need a few other things installed and working. How easy
or how hard or how much configging it takes to get MythWeb running from
scratch, I can't tell you. I can only say how it works when it is up and
running. Very well for me, would be my comment. It would be interesting to
see if it would fit your needs to serve your Pi well, too. If you lived
near me, I'd say come over and we'd test it!!

---
-= F =-
---
If linux and Windows were women, Windows would be a whore and linux would be
a lady that requires that you develop a relationship first.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.