USB and Humax

Old November 12th 13, 12:54 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Davey

Default USB and Humax

I am new to the world of PVRs.
I have a Humax-Fox T2, and I can't find how to successfully watch a
program from a USB stick. I have tried just about every format I can
think of, but the PVR always recognises that there is a stick attached,
but never seems to see anything on it. It never shows it in the Storage
list, even as a place to which to copy a program already on the HDD.
Does this mean that I need a different stick, as it's not suitable for
the Humax?
I see that this, or variations of it, is not uncommon as a problem,
but there rarely seems to be a solution.

Any help welcome.

--
Davey.
Old November 12th 13, 01:47 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
NY

"Davey" wrote in message
I am new to the world of PVRs.
I have a Humax-Fox T2, and I can't find how to successfully watch a
program from a USB stick. I have tried just about every format I can
think of, but the PVR always recognises that there is a stick attached,
but never seems to see anything on it. It never shows it in the Storage
list, even as a place to which to copy a program already on the HDD.
Does this mean that I need a different stick, as it's not suitable for
the Humax?
I see that this, or variations of it, is not uncommon as a problem,
but there rarely seems to be a solution.

Two thoughts:

- I wonder if the Humax needs the stick to be formatted as FAT rather than
NTFS. This can be a bummer because FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB so
long programmes may need to be split into 4GB chunks to put them on a FAT
disc. It's a shame that a son-of-FAT32 format without this restriction has
never been developed and implemented on all devices that can read from
external disc - or else they could recognise NFTS discs.

- I wonder if the files that are on the stick are in the wrong format. Most
devices with USB ports can play simple MPG format, though I wonder if the
Humax can only play some highly proprietary format. If you manage to get the
Humax to recognise the disc as a writable medium you could try copying a
recording the form HDD and see what format it comes out it!

Old November 12th 13, 02:57 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Davey

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 14:47:12 -0000
"NY" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
[...]

The manual says it can be FAT32, ext3 or NTFS. It is ext3, so should
work on that basis.

- I wonder if the files that are on the stick are in the wrong
format. Most devices with USB ports can play simple MPG format,
though I wonder if the Humax can only play some highly proprietary
format. If you manage to get the Humax to recognise the disc as a
writable medium you could try copying a recording the form HDD and
see what format it comes out it!

Well, as I mentioned, I have tried all sorts of formats. The same
manual says it should be XviD, which means little to me, but shows
an .avi file in the sample picture. I have tried mp4, avi, and anything
else that looks possible. But it's the fact that the unit does not even
recognise the stick as a possible destination that makes me think that
it is just not visible, for whatever reason. I read of other people
with similar problems finding that a different stick works fine,
without an explanation. I will buy a more modern USB stick, and will try
that.
Your last idea would be good, if and when it sees the stick! It says it
is possible.

--
Davey.

Old November 18th 13, 11:21 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Davey

Default Solved: USB and Humax

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 13:54:30 +0000
Davey wrote:

I am new to the world of PVRs.
I have a Humax-Fox T2, and I can't find how to successfully watch a
program from a USB stick. I have tried just about every format I can
think of, but the PVR always recognises that there is a stick
attached, but never seems to see anything on it. It never shows it in
the Storage list, even as a place to which to copy a program already
on the HDD. Does this mean that I need a different stick, as it's not
suitable for the Humax?
I see that this, or variations of it, is not uncommon as a problem,
but there rarely seems to be a solution.

Any help welcome.

It's now working, but I don't know why it didn't before.
I had been using the USB connector on the front of the machine, as the
one at the back is a real pain to get to. But I decided,as the next
stage of debugging the problem, to see if it worked when plugged in to
the one at the back. And it did! And now it works at the front!
Most strange.
For the record, the drive is partitioned as ext3, and the file,
which transferred successfully to the Humax's HDD, is an .mp4 file.

--
Davey.