LG 498H Hard Drive Renewal

Old February 19th 12, 01:54 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
marask

Default LG 498H Hard Drive Renewal

Hello All

Just wondered if anyone has ever renewed (or enlarged) the HDD on the
above model of machine.

I can find various "how to's" on the net but nothing specific to this model.

Having had to format the drive once to overcome recording/ playback
lapses I contacted LG and was told that I could not change the HDD
myself. Well if they can do it so can I! The only thing lacking is the
knowledge.

The file system they use is either Linux or proprietary, I've so far
been unable to determine which.

The only potential "generic" solution I have seen so far is the
possibility of a "hot swap", then utilising the format facility in the
menu. Not really keen to try that one because of the obvious risks
involved and it may not work in any case.

I've tried the links on the toppy org uk website, for other makes of
machine, but none of them seem to be of use, with a lot of them no
longer operable.

All specific, relevant info will be eagerly received and digested.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old February 16th 14, 02:07 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Jonas

On 19/02/2012 02:54 PM, marask wrote:
[...]

Should anyone ever read this newsgroup again and also be interested in
doing the task described, I have recently accomplished this job.

It was quite easy, not beyond the capability of anyone reasonably
competent at DIY and also able to take precautions to avoid electrical
shock and static precautions.

The 250GB HDD was swapped for a 500GB version, with the electronics
within the machine seeming quite happy with the arrangement i.e. it did
"see" the additional capacity.

I did not try any larger capacity as 500GB gave slightly over 500
recording hours at the resolution that I use. I also knew that LG made
PVR's of 500GB capacity and hence thought it possible that this size of
disc may be supported in my machine. A 1TB disc was an attractive
proposition as it was only marginally more expensive than a 500GB one,
but there would have been little point in making a /GB saving if the
machine failed to recognise the far larger drive.

If anyone does successfully try a 1TB drive, I'm sure everyone would be
interested to hear of it.

In my case, the disc was fitted, the machine energised and the disc
formatted using the machine's capability to do so. Then, away we

---