Strange Sky HD to second TV problem

Old June 9th 16, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Graham Naylor[_3_]

Default Strange Sky HD to second TV problem

Hi,

I have just upgraded the Sky box in my living room from Sky+ to Sky+ HD, the
main TV is now connected using an HD lead rather than the SCART lead that
was in use previously. Originally the Sky+ box was connected to a second TV
in the kitchen via a Co-Axial lead, this worked perfectly. However when this
lead was moved onto the HD box the second TV had a very grainy picture and
sound that hissed badly, I re-tuned the TV and switched the SCART setting
off on the HD box menu and the picture returned to normal but the sound
still hisses badly.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Graham Naylor

Old June 9th 16, 01:08 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

I have just upgraded the Sky box in my living room from Sky+ to
Sky+ HD, the main TV is now connected using an HD lead rather
than the SCART lead that was in use previously. Originally the
Sky+ box was connected to a second TV in the kitchen via a
Co-Axial lead, this worked perfectly. However when this lead was
moved onto the HD box the second TV had a very grainy picture and
sound that hissed badly, I re-tuned the TV and switched the SCART
setting off on the HD box menu and the picture returned to normal
but the sound still hisses badly.

Modern Sky HD boxes no longer have an RF modulator, since so few people
used it. You have to buy an external modulator that plugs into a DIN
socket on the Sky box back, and which does have a poor reputation for
sound quality. Or did you get and old box?

You should really have gone for Sky Q, then you could watch TV and
recordings on a tablet or via a second wifi connected Sky Q box.

Angus

Old June 9th 16, 03:51 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Graham Naylor[_3_]

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, in answer to your question.

The Sky box is approx 2-3 years old and has an RF output on the back which I
am trying to use.

Thanks

Graham

.co.uk...

Old June 9th 16, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

The Sky box is approx 2-3 years old and has an RF output on the
back which I am trying to use.

It may be a faulty modulator, as I said, the new ones for 10 are very
poor to start with.

The number of people that can still view analogue TV is rapidly
declining, so they don't really care. But I'm one of them so I can
watch Formula One while eating in the kitchen.

Angus

Old June 9th 16, 05:28 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Graham Naylor[_3_]

Thanks Angus,

I will order one in the morning, any recommendations on which one to get?

Old June 9th 16, 07:38 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
sintv[_2_]

On Thursday, 9 June 2016 18:28:51 UTC+1, Graham Naylor wrote:
Thanks Angus,

I will order one in the morning, any recommendations on which one to get?

Graham

"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" wrote in message
.co.uk...

The Sky box is approx 2-3 years old and has an RF output on the
back which I am trying to use.

It may be a faulty modulator, as I said, the new ones for £10 are very
poor to start with.

The number of people that can still view analogue TV is rapidly
declining, so they don't really care. But I'm one of them so I can
watch Formula One while eating in the kitchen.

Angus

Try retuning the Sky output to below 60 as you may be experiencing 4g interference. Modern wideband aerials for instance block frequencies above 60 for this reason. For hissing sound on tv, make sure sound is on I not BG (?)
Old June 10th 16, 07:49 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

I will order one in the morning, any recommendations on which one
to get?

The modulator I'm referring to is called an IO Box, but can only be
used with Sky HD boxes with the DIN I/O socket:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky4Less-iO...-MAGIC/dp/B00I
76MC5A

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00APIA5...s_1?pf_rd_p=56
9136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00I76MC5A&pf_rd_m=A3
P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=EXSH0535JSM8YR5E4GAF

It's clearly designed by/for Sky since it's configured through all the
normal Sky set-up menus, including the hidden menus.

If you want something better, it would need to connect to the Sky box
via the SCART connector.

But first, do try changing the channel to avoid conflicts with DTV
channels.

Angus

Old June 10th 16, 01:09 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Graham Naylor[_3_]

Bob,

I have just looked for a Vision V40-104 modulator on Amazon but have found
that it is out of stock and checking the manufacturer found it is no longer
manufactured and the recommended replacement is three times the price!

Any ideas for a different one for around 20 as the original Vision was?

thanks

Graham

"Bob Latham" wrote in message ...

In article . uk,
[...]

Over the last couple of years I have gone to a great deal of trouble and
investigation about UHF modulators and Sky HD boxes.

I have found that the plug in ones (either from sky with no extra power
supply or the wonderful 3rd party ones with an extra psu) are all truly
awful on sound, I mean really, really awful. So bad that I find it hard to
believe anyone can put up with them either of them.

The ones built in to slightly older sky boxes are much better but still
hiss badly.

If you want to send UHF around the house from your sky box use a decent
modulator and connect CVBS and audio into it, this IMHO is then very
nearly as good as broadcast analogue TV.

Vision V40-104 is a great modulator.

Of course, if you also need the magic eye power to the remote tv the
Vision modulator needs to be in the between the aerial and the sky box so
the DC doesn't get blocked by the modulator.

Bob.

Old June 10th 16, 04:59 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Charles Ellson[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:34:13 +0100, Bob Latham
wrote:

Sorry I don't have experience of other modulators and it was Bill himself
that advised me to use that one.

A bit of googling seems to have found
www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com are still advertising stock at 36.74 +
vat.

That's all I can suggest.

Cheers,

Bob.

In article ,
Graham Naylor wrote:
Bob,

I have just looked for a Vision V40-104 modulator on Amazon but have found
that it is out of stock and checking the manufacturer found it is no longer
manufactured and the recommended replacement is three times the price!

Any ideas for a different one for around 20 as the original Vision was?

thanks

Graham

"Bob Latham" wrote in message ...

In article . uk,
[...]

IIRC the cheap and nasty ones tend to be bodged so that they will work
with both 5.5MHz and 6MHz sound so either with more bandwith on the
sound and/or set to 5.75MHz ?