Sky remote control

Old January 30th 16, 11:31 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Isaac Hunt

Default Sky remote control

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 13:32:05 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Sky + HD box.
One of the buttons on the remote was not working properly. Whilst looking in
to it we used a remote from the previous non HD box. I noticed that the
standbye button was not working, it had worked fine on this box in the past.
The LED was not flashing when the button was press. The batteries are new.
Google was my friend and I fixed the HD remote, full of muck.
Flushed with success I took the old remote with the dodgy standbye button
apart and cleaned it. The standbye LED is now flashing, I was dead pleased
with myself.
Trouble is that although the LED is flashing it does not turn the Sky box on
or off.
I need to be able to use standbye to enter the code for the TV. The volume
control does not work without the code
I've tried using the other remote and turning off on the box, the TV will
still not accept the code. Seems that it must be done on the same remote?
Am I goosed or is there a way round this?

First off I'm slightly confused as to what you are trying to do, get the
standby button to work or program the remote to turn the TV volume up and
down? To turn the sky box off try pressing the 'Sky' button and then press
the standby button on the remote.
You don't need the standby button to program the remote to your TV, you
don't even need to be near your sky box or tv to program it, all you need
is the 3 or 4 digit code for your TV and the remote after all it's the
remote that you are programming and not the tv.

1 - Press the 'TV' button on the remote
2 - Hold the 'Select' and red buttons down until the LED flashes twice
3 - enter the code for your TV
4 - Press 'Select' again
Point remote at your TV and it should(!) turn the volume up and down. If it
doesn't then check the code for the TV or trundle along to the forum at
http://helpforum.sky.com/

--
Isaac Hunt
Possibly the most handsome man here?
Old January 31st 16, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mr Pounder Esquire

Isaac Hunt wrote:
[...]

I got the standbye button to work.
Yes, the problem is that the volume control does not work.
The instruction book says to press TV then standbye after your point 4:
I'll do as you say and post back. The wife is reluctant to let me mess
around at the moment, she has some silly idea that I'm quite stupid.
Thanks for the help.

Old January 31st 16, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Isaac Hunt

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 16:17:47 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

1 - Press the 'TV' button on the remote
2 - Hold the 'Select' and red buttons down until the LED flashes twice
3 - enter the code for your TV
4 - Press 'Select' again
Point remote at your TV and it should(!) turn the volume up and down.
If it doesn't then check the code for the TV or trundle along to the
forum at http://helpforum.sky.com/

I got the standbye button to work.
Yes, the problem is that the volume control does not work.
The instruction book says to press TV then standbye after your point 4:
I'll do as you say and post back. The wife is reluctant to let me mess
around at the moment, she has some silly idea that I'm quite stupid.
Thanks for the help.

Pressing standby after point 4 just tests if the remote will turn the TV on
and off. That doesn't always work especially if you have a Panasonic like
mine. The main thing to test for is volume. I find if you can work that
from your Sky remote it's not really a hardship to get up at the end of the
night and turn the TV off :-) Don't worry about the wife, you can't break
anything by entering the right/wrong code.

Old January 31st 16, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mr Pounder Esquire

Isaac Hunt wrote:
[...]

I have just been informed that messing with the remote at this point in time
will result in my fingers being removed with a very sharp instrument.
She is going out tomorrow evening, I'll try then.

Old January 31st 16, 05:03 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mr Pounder Esquire

Isaac Hunt wrote:
[...]

Would I be correct that it is okay to have two remotes working correctly on
one Sky box?
Just thought that I'd ask this.

Old January 31st 16, 08:37 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Isaac Hunt

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 18:03:31 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Would I be correct that it is okay to have two remotes working correctly on
one Sky box?
Just thought that I'd ask this.

I can't see any problem unless you and the wife have one each and try to
out channel each other ;-)

Old January 31st 16, 09:37 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Charles Ellson[_2_]

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 21:37:22 +0000, Isaac Hunt
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 18:03:31 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Would I be correct that it is okay to have two remotes working correctly on
one Sky box?
Just thought that I'd ask this.

I can't see any problem unless you and the wife have one each and try to
out channel each other ;-)

You can get the odd bother if one RC is an older version than the
other (thus one works more functions on a recent television than the
other). When I replaced a knackered RC a few years back the new one no
longer had the appropriate codes installed for an old Baird-branded
CRT television whose volume then could only be changed via its own RC.
Old February 1st 16, 02:57 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mr Pounder Esquire

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Isaac Hunt wrote:
[...]

I did 1: 2: and yes, the LED flashes twice. Code entered. It is the code
that has worked in the past.
Pressing Select does nothing, the LED does not flash. If I press the Sky
button it will flash, but no volume control.
I did a factory reset yesterday, battery out and holding down the Select
button for well over two mins.
ARGGGGGGGG!

Old February 1st 16, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mr Pounder Esquire

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Isaac Hunt wrote:
[...]

I went to your link and followed another link to codes for this remote.

I've been there before and have ignored different codes as the code I've
been using has worked for years.
There were three codes in the link, mine was not in there. The second one
worked and I do not understand this.
The wife is not impressed with my success as it has taken me far too long to
sort out a simple problem.
All I can say is thanks for your time, help and your patience with me.

Old February 1st 16, 05:12 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mr Pounder Esquire

Isaac Hunt wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 18:03:31 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Would I be correct that it is okay to have two remotes working
correctly on one Sky box?
Just thought that I'd ask this.

I can't see any problem unless you and the wife have one each and try
to out channel each other ;-)

I actually watch very little television.
Trying to do as you suggested would result in the end of me.