SKY box clash with Freeview TV

Old May 22nd 15, 05:43 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
[email protected]

Default SKY box clash with Freeview TV

Hi there

I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to answer what I consider a simple question. I have a SKY box with a lapsed account ( ie essentially a freesat service ), my very old TV has given up the ghost and I need to replace it, but was wondering if I get one with Freeview will the existing service from the SKY box over-ride the Freeview built into the TV ? I know I could buy a TV with Freesat built in but they seem more expensive and the channels are not exactly the same. The other reason for not going the Freeview route is that the reception here in Devon is rubbish.

Many thanks if you can help or have had the same problem
Old May 23rd 15, 03:11 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
[email protected]

Many thanks Charles, that's very re-assuring

Kind Regards
Rob
Old May 24th 15, 07:17 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
[email protected]

Ah but there's the rub, when analogue was switched off down here, we were informed because of the topography of the area, we wouldn't be able to get Freeview, so the aerial was taken out. I'll let you know how I get on if you're interested.

Cheers
Rob
Old May 25th 15, 06:28 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 5/25/2015 5:35 PM, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2015 07:33:54 +0100, "David" wrote:
Freeview only broadcasts everything from main transmitters, and to get all
you need an up to date HD TV set even though the particular station might
not be HD.

Are there any domestic channels which do not have an SD version thus
obviating such a necessity ? Even HD-only channels can be watched on a
non-HD television if a set top box can downscale the picture.

We have an old crt TV in the spare bedroom, connected to an inexpensive
box. It works fine.