Sky+HD and DVD recording

Old March 4th 15, 01:04 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.tv.sky
John[_34_]

Default Sky+HD and DVD recording

We have a Sky+HD recorder (an Amstrad DRX 890C) but not the HD service,
only SD. We also have a Philips DVDR 7260H, which is a stand-alone
DVD/HDD recorder. Both machines have HDMI outputs which go up to the TV
- selecting HDMI 1 on the TV means that you can watch the Sky box; HDMI
2 means you can watch the DVD Recorder/Player.

I record lots of music videos from Sky Arts 1 and BBC4 on the Sky box
and I don't want to lose them, which may happen if the box (or the HDD
in it) goes faulty; plus of course, you need a current Sky subscription
to play recordings on a Sky box, which we may not always have, so I
like to make copies of these recordings 'just in case'.

The only way I know of doing this is by connecting a Scart cable
between the Sky box and the Philips DVD/HDD Recorder and doing it in
real time by pressing 'Play' on the Sky box and 'Record' on the Philips
box and letting the programme run its course. I can then, at any time
later on, burn the recording to a blank DVD if I so wish (and I often
do) so I have it in three places - the Sky box HDD, the Philips box HDD
and a DVD disc.

The Philips DVD/HDD Recorder has just died and I can't afford a
replacement at the moment, but I do have a spare computer that I could
press into service to take its place - if I (and for that, read you ;o)
) can connect it.

It's based on a Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 mobo with an Intel Core i3 2120
and 6GB of DDR3 RAM and is running Windows 7 Pro x64 so I reckon it's
obviously powerful enough to do the job but I'm not sure how to get the
data in. The motherboard has two HDMI ports, one of which is obviously
used to connect to a monitor to show the output, but can the second
HDMI connector be used to accept an input from the Sky box?

Second question is - if the answer to that is 'yes', is there some sort
of Scart (which is the only connector at the Sky box end) to HDMI cable
or adapter available?

And finally, if it can be done, what software should I use (preferably
free to download and use for personal use) to do the recording - both
initially as HDD to HDD and then HDD to DVD disc?

TIA

---

Old March 4th 15, 03:50 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.tv.sky

On 04/03/2015 14:04, John wrote:

Second question is - if the answer to that is 'yes', is there some sort
of Scart (which is the only connector at the Sky box end) to HDMI cable
or adapter available?

And finally, if it can be done, what software should I use (preferably
free to download and use for personal use) to do the recording - both
initially as HDD to HDD and then HDD to DVD disc?

You need something like..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...i deo+capture

Old March 4th 15, 04:01 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.tv.sky
Davey

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 16:50:21 +0000
"[email protected]" wrote:

On 04/03/2015 14:04, John wrote:

Second question is - if the answer to that is 'yes', is there some
sort of Scart (which is the only connector at the Sky box end) to
HDMI cable or adapter available?

And finally, if it can be done, what software should I use
(preferably free to download and use for personal use) to do the
recording - both initially as HDD to HDD and then HDD to DVD disc?

You need something like..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...i deo+capture

I use the EZCAP.TV, shown there, and it comes with capture software that
works with Win7. Works fine, as far as I can see. It also understands
NTSC 4.33, which Hauppauge doesn't, but you probably don't care about
that, it's a fairly unusual requirement, useful when copying US VHS
tapes.

--
Davy.
Old March 4th 15, 04:13 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.tv.sky
John[_34_]

Davey expressed precisely :
"[email protected]" wrote:

On 04/03/2015 14:04, John wrote:

Second question is - if the answer to that is 'yes', is there some
sort of Scart (which is the only connector at the Sky box end) to
HDMI cable or adapter available?

And finally, if it can be done, what software should I use
(preferably free to download and use for personal use) to do the
recording - both initially as HDD to HDD and then HDD to DVD disc?

You need something like..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...i deo+capture

I use the EZCAP.TV, shown there, and it comes with capture software that
works with Win7. Works fine, as far as I can see. It also understands
NTSC 4.33, which Hauppauge doesn't, but you probably don't care about
that, it's a fairly unusual requirement, useful when copying US VHS
tapes.

So I don't have to use the Scart on the Sky box, I can just use the
phono plugs? And the USB end goes into the computer? Excellent What
about the software - do these things come with their own software?

Thanks Dennis and Davey :')

---

Old March 4th 15, 04:24 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.tv.sky
John[_34_]

John pretended :
[...]

EDIT: Sorry, in case it's relevant I should say that when I record to
DVD I want to be able to play them on any standard, stand-alone DVD
player and not for them to only be playable on a computer.

---

Old March 4th 15, 05:27 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.tv.sky
Davey

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:13:40 GMT
John wrote:

do these things come with their own software?

Read the first sentence of my Reply.

--
Davey.
Old March 4th 15, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.tv.sky
John[_34_]

Davey submitted this idea :
On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:13:40 GMT
John wrote:

do these things come with their own software?

Read the first sentence of my Reply.

Haha, now that I've got home and read it properly I see what you mean.
Thanks you sir lol

---

Old March 4th 15, 07:13 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.tv.sky
Mark Goodge

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:24:26 GMT, John put finger to keyboard and typed:

EDIT: Sorry, in case it's relevant I should say that when I record to
DVD I want to be able to play them on any standard, stand-alone DVD
player and not for them to only be playable on a computer.

One you've got it onto a PC in any reasonably standard format, you can then
convert it as necessary and transfer it to any other media with no
difficulty.

Mark
--
Please take a short survey on smartphones: http://goodge.eu/an
My blog: http://www.markgoodge.uk
Old March 4th 15, 07:25 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.tv.sky
John[_34_]

Mark Goodge presented the following explanation :
On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:24:26 GMT, John put finger to keyboard and typed:

EDIT: Sorry, in case it's relevant I should say that when I record to
DVD I want to be able to play them on any standard, stand-alone DVD
player and not for them to only be playable on a computer.

One you've got it onto a PC in any reasonably standard format, you can then
convert it as necessary and transfer it to any other media with no
difficulty.

Mark

Thanks Mark, good to know that. I've been very spoiled over the years
with just pushing two buttons and having everything done for me lol

---

Old March 5th 15, 04:02 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.tv.sky
Dave Liquorice[_2_]

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 20:13:51 +0000, Mark Goodge wrote:

One you've got it onto a PC in any reasonably standard format, you can
then convert it as necessary and transfer it to any other media with no
difficulty.

DRM (Dgital Rights Managemnet) permitting... You might be able to
make one copy but get tripped up when trying to copy the copy. I
understand that there are work arounds.

--
Cheers
Dave.