On Demand

Old July 1st 14, 08:59 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mr Pounder

Default On Demand

The wife finally decided that she wanted the TV On Demand box plugged in.
I watch very little TV so I'm thick on these things.
Okay, Superhub and Sky box thing plugged in, correct network etc.
It did not work. Sky support said all my settings were correct.
I'm only getting 31% wireless signal strength to the On Demand box, but I
may be able to get more if I mess with the settings.
Is 31% enough?

Thanks for any help.

Old July 1st 14, 11:03 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Charles Ellson[_2_]

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 20:59:32 +0100, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

The wife finally decided that she wanted the TV On Demand box plugged in.
I watch very little TV so I'm thick on these things.
Okay, Superhub and Sky box thing plugged in, correct network etc.
It did not work. Sky support said all my settings were correct.
I'm only getting 31% wireless signal strength to the On Demand box, but I
may be able to get more if I mess with the settings.
Is 31% enough?

Dunno but Google finds some people managing to crawl along at about
20%.

Thanks for any help.

Looking at e.g. :-
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived...th/td-p/329759
prompts the question of have you tried changing channels ?
Signal strength on satellite and or wi-fi can be a bit of a red
herring, it is the quality of the signal that matters.
Also, have you tried using a network cable between the two boxes ? If
that works OK then go back to fixing the wi-fi connection but if it
doesn't then you've got something else wrong.
To see if you are fighting with someone else for the signal you can
use an Android phone with Wifi Analyzer installed :-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lyzer&hl=en_GB

One of the screens will give you a graphical display of what is using
which channel in your vicinity. There is a general tendency to use
channels 2, 6 and 11 which in practice don't overlap but if your
neighbours have already filled up those channels then you might need
to try the "gaps" 3/4, 8/9 or the end channels 1 and 14.
Old July 2nd 14, 01:13 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mr Pounder

wrote:

[...]

Running a cable is impractical due to wooden floors. Thankfully I no longer
own a mobile phone.
I'll mess with the other channels when the wife is not glued to the TV.
I'll take a look at your link.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Old July 8th 14, 07:41 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Tony[_18_]

In uk.tech.tv.sky, "Mr Pounder" wrote:

Running a cable is impractical due to wooden floors.

It's not a permanent solution - just to test. If the cable allows it to
work, then the only problem would appear to be the wifi. If the cable
doesn't fix the issue - then you have bigger problems than the wifi signal.
--
Tony Evans
Seeking archives for uk.* from 1998 and older. Especially interested
Old July 8th 14, 09:52 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Charles Ellson[_2_]

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 19:41:10 +0100, Tony
wrote:

In uk.tech.tv.sky, "Mr Pounder" wrote:

Running a cable is impractical due to wooden floors.

It's not a permanent solution - just to test. If the cable allows it to
work, then the only problem would appear to be the wifi. If the cable
doesn't fix the issue - then you have bigger problems than the wifi signal.

As it is just to test the cable connection the length should be
irrelevant unless it is a very big house. The idea was just to sit the
two relevant devices beside each other and connect them with a cable.