Re Sky + HD Box to Spain

Old March 28th 14, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Deebrief

Default Re Sky + HD Box to Spain

Hi
I want to take my Sky Box to Spain with the UK HD card to use as the free to
air programmes have all but gone.

However I want to leave the box down there and just take the card out as and
when. But if I get hold of a newer box this end I know the UK one will not
work with the card as Sky pick up on the fact the box does not marry up with
the card.

Is there a cheap way round this problem or is my plan doomed !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanking you.

Dee

Old March 28th 14, 08:36 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Deebrief

"Deebrief" wrote in message ...

Hi
I want to take my Sky Box to Spain with the UK HD card to use as the free to
air programmes have all but gone.

However I want to leave the box down there and just take the card out as and
when. But if I get hold of a newer box this end I know the UK one will not
work with the card as Sky pick up on the fact the box does not marry up with
the card.

Is there a cheap way round this problem or is my plan doomed !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanking you.

Dee

or possible go with Sky's Multi room theme and take the additional box and
card to Spain, so paying an additional fee p/month

Old March 29th 14, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

However I want to leave the box down there and just take the card
out as and when.

The viewing card has to be matched to the box with a telephone call to Sky,
if you do that too often Sky will become suspicious, also if the phone call
is from abroad.

or possible go with Sky's Multi room theme and take the additional
box and card to Spain, so paying an additional fee p/month

Sky insists on all multiroom boxes being plugged into the same telephone
line, so they can check they are in the same house when they call home.
It's in the contract.

Nowadays with network connections, Sky probably also checks the IP address
is the same, and if it's from outside the UK might become unhappy.

Don't think there is any cheap way of sharing the same viewing card between
two countries, you really need separate cards and don't connect boxes
overseas to the internet or telephone.

Angus

Old March 29th 14, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mark Goodge

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 09:25 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), Angus Robertson -
Magenta Systems Ltd put finger to keyboard and typed:

However I want to leave the box down there and just take the card
out as and when.

The viewing card has to be matched to the box with a telephone call to Sky,
if you do that too often Sky will become suspicious, also if the phone call
is from abroad.

or possible go with Sky's Multi room theme and take the additional
box and card to Spain, so paying an additional fee p/month

Sky insists on all multiroom boxes being plugged into the same telephone
line, so they can check they are in the same house when they call home.
It's in the contract.

My second box has never been plugged into a phone line, due to the simple
fact that it's always been used in a room which doesn't have one! Despite
that, I've never had any issues with Sky over it.

I suspect that they may simply not care if there are no other indicators
that someone might be using it in breach of their terms, since I would have
thought that a lot of people have their second box in a room where there's
no telephone socket - particularly these days when cordless phones are the
norm so there's no need to have multiple sockets for wired phones.

Nowadays with network connections, Sky probably also checks the IP address
is the same, and if it's from outside the UK might become unhappy.

That's likely, yes.

Don't think there is any cheap way of sharing the same viewing card between
two countries, you really need separate cards and don't connect boxes
overseas to the internet or telephone.

Yes, that would be my approach if I needed to do it.

Mark
--
Please take a short survey on salary perceptions: http://meyu.eu/am
My blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Old March 30th 14, 08:01 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Y Dangle

"Deebrief" wrote in message
Hi
I want to take my Sky Box to Spain with the UK HD card to use as the free
to air programmes have all but gone.

However I want to leave the box down there and just take the card out as
and when. But if I get hold of a newer box this end I know the UK one will
not work with the card as Sky pick up on the fact the box does not marry
up with the card.

Is there a cheap way round this problem or is my plan doomed !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanking you.

Dee

When you getback to UK and buy a newer box, put the card in it - as you say
it will not work - but on the Sky website, or by telephone, you can give the
details of the new box and marry them up then it will work. You will have to
do this every time you change countries and boxes. (Withhold your phone
number if phoning from Spain).
This certainly works with a subscription card.
Y.

---

Old March 30th 14, 08:43 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Y Dangle

"Y Dangle" wrote in message

"Deebrief" wrote in message
[...]

One other thing: In Spain, depending on the size of your dish, you may have
to change the Default Transponder setting to a signal that you receive well
there, eg 11817 V 27.5 2/3 This will work fine in Spain or UK. (Make this
change before you change the box details to marry the card to it.) (You only
have to do it once.)
Y.

---