Can I get Sky and freesat off one cable?

Old February 13th 10, 08:00 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Neil[_4_]

Default Can I get Sky and freesat off one cable?

I have a Sky multiroom package with a quad LMB. I am using two outputs to a
Sky+ box and one outlet to a normal Sky box.

I want to set up freesat in another room but the dish is up fairly high up
and difficult to get to. I'm tempted to split one of the lines in the loft
and join you freesat cable into it using a splitter connection. Would this
be likely to have a detrimental effect on the existing signal.

Gord

Old February 13th 10, 08:19 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mark Goodge

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:00:27 -0000, Neil put finger to keyboard and
typed:

I have a Sky multiroom package with a quad LMB. I am using two outputs to a
Sky+ box and one outlet to a normal Sky box.

I want to set up freesat in another room but the dish is up fairly high up
and difficult to get to. I'm tempted to split one of the lines in the loft
and join you freesat cable into it using a splitter connection. Would this
be likely to have a detrimental effect on the existing signal.

It will affect the signal, but that's not the main problem. The real
issue is that you won't get full use of the two boxes on the one
output.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/split_feed.htm has a pretty good
explanation of why not.

Mark
--
Please sign my petition: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/geopostcode/
Read why: http://mark.goodge.co.uk/musings/422...that-postcode/
Old February 13th 10, 08:36 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Gordon Ross

On 13/02/2010 21:19, Mark Goodge wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:00:27 -0000, Neil put finger to keyboard and
typed:

I have a Sky multiroom package with a quad LMB. I am using two outputs to a
Sky+ box and one outlet to a normal Sky box.

I want to set up freesat in another room but the dish is up fairly high up
and difficult to get to. I'm tempted to split one of the lines in the loft
and join you freesat cable into it using a splitter connection. Would this
be likely to have a detrimental effect on the existing signal.

It will affect the signal, but that's not the main problem. The real
issue is that you won't get full use of the two boxes on the one
output.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/split_feed.htm has a pretty good
explanation of why not.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the reply, so it seem that the LNB has some tuning
electronics in it then?
Old February 13th 10, 10:27 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
widgitt

The LNB will be of the "universal" type. Each output is controled by
the satellite box which asks for one of four states: high band, low
band, horizontal polarisation and vertical polarisation. The box sends
a combination of 14v or 18V and 22kz tone or no 22kz up to the LNB to
control it. If you use a splitter in the cable the two boxes connected
cannot do this effectively. At best, when one box is in control, the
other one would only get about a quater of its channels at any one
time. At worst you could feasably do some damage to one of the boxes
if the splitter allowed DC pass from one box to another.

Short answer.....seperate cables from LNB for each box.