SkyHD - audio out of sync

Old August 25th 08, 12:32 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Stan The Man

Default SkyHD - audio out of sync

Since upgrading to SkyHD I seem to be experiencing frequent audio sync
problems through the TV (Panny Viera) speakers. Not all channels are
affected but I watched the Queen Montreal concert on SkyHD the other
night and the audio must have been a full second ahead of the video.
Tonight I have been seeing similar issues with DiscoveryHD programmes.
But not all channels are affected. So is this just a case of some
broadcasters not getting it right - or do I have a problem?

Stan

Old August 25th 08, 06:31 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
BGN

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 01:32:19 +0100, Stan The Man
wrote:

Since upgrading to SkyHD I seem to be experiencing frequent audio sync
problems through the TV (Panny Viera) speakers. Not all channels are
affected but I watched the Queen Montreal concert on SkyHD the other
night and the audio must have been a full second ahead of the video.
Tonight I have been seeing similar issues with DiscoveryHD programmes.
But not all channels are affected. So is this just a case of some
broadcasters not getting it right - or do I have a problem?

Is News 24 in sync?
--
-- Nick ICQ: 9235201 EMAIL & MSN:
-- Triumph Tiger 955i --
Old August 26th 08, 12:32 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Stan The Man

wrote:

Since upgrading to SkyHD I seem to be experiencing frequent audio sync
problems through the TV (Panny Viera) speakers. Not all channels are
affected but I watched the Queen Montreal concert on SkyHD the other
night and the audio must have been a full second ahead of the video.
Tonight I have been seeing similar issues with DiscoveryHD programmes.
But not all channels are affected. So is this just a case of some
broadcasters not getting it right - or do I have a problem?

Is News 24 in sync?

Yes, all of the SD channels are in sync...unless I watch them on an HD
channel. For example, I watched Dispatches on Ch4 (104) on Monday night
with no sync problem but when I switched to watch the same SD programme
on Ch4HD (140) the audio was approx half a second out.

If there is no technical explanation for this I will call Sky and get
my HD box looked at. (This particular example is obviously not very
important but since the sync problem occurs in HD broadcasts which I
would like to enjoy in HD then I need to solve it).

Stan

Old August 26th 08, 09:48 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Colin Harris[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

This has happened to me a few times. Along with sudden jumping forward
when on 30x FF (almost every ad break I go through), switching off of
the machine and failed recordings if watching HD while recording
something else on HD and several others.

Just stop the recording, go back to normal viewing and then start
again. That normally sorts it. If not, switch machine right off and
try again.

Colin Harris, West Sussex, UK.

Old August 27th 08, 01:18 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Peter Pratten

In article , Stan The Man
writes
Yes, all of the SD channels are in sync...unless I watch them on an HD
channel. For example, I watched Dispatches on Ch4 (104) on Monday night
with no sync problem but when I switched to watch the same SD programme
on Ch4HD (140) the audio was approx half a second out.

If there is no technical explanation for this I will call Sky and get
my HD box looked at. (This particular example is obviously not very
important but since the sync problem occurs in HD broadcasts which I
would like to enjoy in HD then I need to solve it).

There's an option in the setup to make adjustment for this. Have you
tried it?
--
Peter Pratten
Please reply in group only
Old August 28th 08, 12:25 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Stan The Man

On 2008-08-27 02:18:35 +0100, Peter Pratten said:

In article , Stan The Man
writes
Yes, all of the SD channels are in sync...unless I watch them on an HD
channel. For example, I watched Dispatches on Ch4 (104) on Monday night
with no sync problem but when I switched to watch the same SD programme
on Ch4HD (140) the audio was approx half a second out.

If there is no technical explanation for this I will call Sky and get
my HD box looked at. (This particular example is obviously not very
important but since the sync problem occurs in HD broadcasts which I
would like to enjoy in HD then I need to solve it).

There's an option in the setup to make adjustment for this. Have you tried it?

Yes but it doesn't help on two counts: 1) the adjustment is one-way
only: it doesn't allow me to enter a minus figure which is what would
be needed to sync; and 2) it doesn't adjust the audio on the HDMI link
- it only works with a separate audio out to an amp.

Stan

Old August 29th 08, 12:23 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Stan The Man

wrote:

[...]

Sky engineer came today and swapped out my box for a new one (and new
HDMI cable). Didn't fix the problem. As luck would have it, the Queen
concert in Montreal was on SkyArtsHD again this evening and the sync is
so bad that it is unwatchable. (Has anyone seen this HD programme -
which is repeated at least weekly - and _not_ noticed any sound
problem?)

The Sky engineer was able to see less serious instances of the sync
problem on other channels while he was here. He did think that perhaps
my new Panny plasma might be at fault -- but I was able to tell him
that I had watched FreeSat programmes on it for a week before upgrading
to SkyHD and hadn't noticed any sync issues then.

Just in case my LNB might be flaky, I even had a new one fitted
yesterday, so that isn't the problem either.

The only other possible culprit (assuming that some SkyHD subscribers
are not experiencing sync problems) is a faulty batch of Thomson HD
boxes. There are alreay known audio bugs with the Thomson boxes and/or
the software, including an unintentional change in volume level when
switching from an SD channel to an HD one. Some new models from Pace
and Samsung are due out at any moment so I will ask to switch to one of
these in a last-ditch attempt to cure my ills.

Stan

Old August 29th 08, 06:44 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mark Carver

Stan The Man wrote:

Just in case my LNB might be flaky, I even had a new one fitted
yesterday, so that isn't the problem either.

It won't be the LNB. The problem will be at the MPEG/Dolby decoding layer, or
down stream of that, nothing to do the QSPK reception and demod.

The HD channels all have Dolby audio steams. The SD channels don't.
The SD channels just use the DVB-S standard MPEG audio channel, the HD
channels send audio on these too, for 2 channel audio, but the Sky HD box
derives HD channel audio from the Dolby stream. It should pass this stream up
the HDMI lead to your TV set, so the problem could well be within the TV. Are
you sure the TV has no adjustment menus for delay ? See if you can select
(again on the TV menu) ordinary 2 channel audio as the source, rather than the
Dolby version. I suspect the key to your problem lies there.

--
Mark
Old August 29th 08, 05:12 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
BGN

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 01:23:31 +0100, Stan The Man
wrote:

The only other possible culprit (assuming that some SkyHD subscribers
are not experiencing sync problems) is a faulty batch of Thomson HD
boxes. There are alreay known audio bugs with the Thomson boxes and/or
the software, including an unintentional change in volume level when
switching from an SD channel to an HD one. Some new models from Pace
and Samsung are due out at any moment so I will ask to switch to one of
these in a last-ditch attempt to cure my ills.

Sounds like a dodgy TV then. Have you got any other HDMI sources? Or
can you change the SkyHD box to output uncompressed audio or somesuch
to test?
Old August 30th 08, 02:05 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Stan The Man

wrote:

The only other possible culprit (assuming that some SkyHD subscribers
are not experiencing sync problems) is a faulty batch of Thomson HD
boxes. There are alreay known audio bugs with the Thomson boxes and/or
the software, including an unintentional change in volume level when
switching from an SD channel to an HD one. Some new models from Pace
and Samsung are due out at any moment so I will ask to switch to one of
these in a last-ditch attempt to cure my ills.

Sounds like a dodgy TV then. Have you got any other HDMI sources? Or
can you change the SkyHD box to output uncompressed audio or somesuch
to test?

Spoke to Panasonic today and they claim to have had zero reports of
sync problems, either with my 'FreeSat' TV or with the similar 85
model. Because some channels sync perfectly, they said it wasn't a TV
problem and they referred me back to Sky. This ping-pong could go on
for a while... Fortunately, I have lucked upon a truly helpful and
determined Sky engineer (not an independent) who seems prepared to go
the extra mile to rule out a Sky problem (or confirm one). Could take
weeks though.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other HDMI TVs here to test with -- but
I have tried a scart connection instead of HDMI and this seems to
improve, but not eradicate, the problem but without HD video of course.

I don't think there are any other audio options on the SkyHD box, apart
from a Dobly/Stereo switch and an audio delay timer which only works on
an optical output (it does nothing via HDMI). Anyway, I would need to
accelerate the audio to fix my problem and this feature can't do that.
In any event, I would need to set a different audio speed for different
channels and that would be an unacceptable degree of hassle for me.

Stan