Sky Emails and Tools - another bad performance from SKY!

Old November 14th 07, 07:00 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Ranger

Default Sky Emails and Tools - another bad performance from SKY!

Have had problems getting additional email addresses sorted, finally
got the truth from a Sky customer service guy - they cocked up the
change over and it wont be sorted for another 5 days, should have
taken 5 days but now at least 10 days. If this was a telephone service
who would put up with loss of service for 10 days?

This is no good. I set up 3 email addresses on my main account when I
joined SKY broadband so why can't they have a system which transfers
these settings? I now need to make 3 different email addresses, set up
3 new users on the account and then change most of my Outlook settings
to suit! I prefer to pick up the emails via POP into Outlook and
distribute them from there.

As I said to the customer adviser, if I wasn't tied to the 12 month
contract I'd bin it.

Anyone else had this problem?

John

Old November 14th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Ranger

Missed the point here Tony.

I don't want to use a web base email service!

POP3 is fine for me. I've got it all sorted out and SKY have F***ed it
up as usual.

I just asked if anyone else has had the same frustrations.

Clearly you don't so don't bother yourself replying to this.

Old November 15th 07, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
\(O\)enone

Ranger wrote:
POP3 is fine for me. I've got it all sorted out and SKY have F***ed it
up as usual.

As others have already said, GMail (and probably others) supports POP3.
GMail is a perfectly good email provider as far as I'm concerned.

IMO one of the best things anyone can do is to attempt to maintain
independence from their ISP. I see so many people who move from one ISP to
another for some reason and and up having to change email addresses, web
sites, etc. which can be a real pain in the back side. So for me personally,
if I were with Sky (which I'm not, and which I may also point out is off
topic for this newsgroup, what with it being called uk.tech.TV.sky) I would
go with GMail or something similar regardless of how good their own email
provision was so that I didn't end up being stuck with them.

Up to you though.

--

(O)enone

Old November 15th 07, 04:18 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Ian Pawson

Ranger wrote:
[...]

My gripe is that I got another calendar as well as my Google one!
Old November 15th 07, 04:47 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Alan Watt

yes i have the same problem i have trouble since april the 1st but i was
able to get my mail through pop3 using outlook but since they have changed
the settings i cannot get any mail and i cannot log in either
after many phone cals they say i never had such an account what a load of
******** as i have had over 500 mail since april through sky
loks like when my contract is up its back to bt

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/12509747.aspx
Old November 15th 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Ranger

Thanks for the responses guys. My point is that I pay SKY for this
service and yes I do understand that they use Gmail but I tried going
through the SKY set up instructions and all I want is a
straightforward service that lets me also use Outlook.

I note the incoming and outgoing mail server ports and these are the
ones SKY uses (obviously). The problem is setting up the other users
so they get their emails as well.

I'm not a novice at this having used email for years and I'm
disappointed that SKY make you use their web based service so they can
get additional advertising revenue but don't make it easy for us
users.

Guess I'll just have to wait till next week and bite my tongue till
the,

Regards,

John
Old November 27th 07, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mat C

"Ranger" wrote in message
Thanks for the responses guys. My point is that I pay SKY for this
service and yes I do understand that they use Gmail but I tried going
through the SKY set up instructions and all I want is a
straightforward service that lets me also use Outlook.

I note the incoming and outgoing mail server ports and these are the
ones SKY uses (obviously). The problem is setting up the other users
so they get their emails as well.

I'm not a novice at this having used email for years and I'm
disappointed that SKY make you use their web based service so they can
get additional advertising revenue but don't make it easy for us
users.

Guess I'll just have to wait till next week and bite my tongue till
the,

Regards,

John

According to the 'Customer Services' guy I spoke to when I had the same
issue, I don't pay for email, it just comes with the Broadband..

Sky really are numpties sometimes... And then you get some guy who actually
knows what they're doing and fixed a 5 month old problem in 30mins and 3
phonecalls....

Mat