SKY picture pixelation / freezing

Old February 10th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Arty

Default SKY picture pixelation / freezing

Over the past week or so I've been geting really bad pixelation and picture
freezing on all Sky channles. Picture strength is about 70%, Quality 50-60%.
Not sure what the reading were previously, but picture been OK for two years
plus. Box is a silver Pace (2.1.3 S/W - or was that 2.1.7? either way I
forced a download yesterday).

Any ideas whether this is likely to be the box or dish?

TIA.

Old February 10th 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Craig Coope

"Arty" wrote in message
Over the past week or so I've been geting really bad pixelation and

picture
freezing on all Sky channles. Picture strength is about 70%, Quality

50-60%.
Not sure what the reading were previously, but picture been OK for two

years
plus. Box is a silver Pace (2.1.3 S/W - or was that 2.1.7? either way I
forced a download yesterday).

Any ideas whether this is likely to be the box or dish?

TIA.

The picture strength and quality sound fine but have you actually looked at
these bars specifically when the picture has been freezing? Are there trees
outside your house that have grown in the last 2 years that are being blown
in the way of your signal by the winds we have been having lately? This was
the cause of my sky troubles. It could also be that the dish is out of
alignment. Have you also been getting the loud clicks from the sound while
the picture has been freezing? (are some channels worse than others? - My
Sky News would usually always work but channels like 112 and 124 wouldn't).
It sounds like a dish problem to me.

But I would wait 'til it is happening then go look at the quality bar and
see if it is shifting...

Craig....

Old February 11th 04, 05:54 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Jomtien

Arty wrote:

Any ideas whether this is likely to be the box or dish?

Test your box on a dish that is known to be OK, and vice-versa. This
will isolate the problem.

The Sky Digital FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/yvnsy
BBC gone? : http://www.astra2d.co.uk/
----
Only the truth as I see it.
No monies return'd. ;-)
Old February 11th 04, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Mark

i've been getting that as well, been fine for years and last night was quite
bad, seemed to be better when sky+ was not recording so i think it's
something to do with hard disk access.

Old February 11th 04, 10:36 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
joomper

Arty wrote:
Over the past week or so I've been geting really bad pixelation and
picture freezing on all Sky channles. Picture strength is about 70%,
Quality 50-60%. Not sure what the reading were previously, but
picture been OK for two years plus. Box is a silver Pace (2.1.3 S/W -
or was that 2.1.7? either way I forced a download yesterday).

Any ideas whether this is likely to be the box or dish?

TIA.

Getting the same here.

Seems to be the discovery channels that go, but if I change to MTV or BBC1
there fine. Change back to discovery and its still off or badly pixalated.

Dosen't really help but there you go. If its happening to lots of people
maybe its at their end and not our equipment????

--
eMail - (rot13.com)

Old February 11th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
John Delaney

I had exactly this trouble about 15 months after Sky was installed.

It affected channels that were either mainly Vertical or Horizontal
(can't remember which now) and was traced to water in the LNB. He took
the plastic cap off and the water was quite clearly visible.

I had a new LNB of a different design fitted and the engineer said it
was a well known design fault of that particular original LNB.

JD