Post New Thread
Getting a better DAB signal (indoors) by Jim
Firstly humble apologies if this is the wrong group, I did look for a D.A.B. based group but drew a black. Anyway I have a rubbish signal with DAB sometimes and would like to improve but I'm a bit limited on what I can do about it, right now I have just the standard wire thing that comes with a new hi-fi. Now I can gain access to an old Sky bracket to mount a pole on for an external aerial...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 18th 13 10:46 AM
by Mark[_7_] Go to last post
43 708
the dimmest thing I've done today by Brian Gaff
Well perhaps you were impaired by testing the contents before you did the pouring? Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active "Bill Wright" wrote in message ... I have two locations where I keep large identical bottles of rum. At A the
September 18th 13 09:40 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 131
Which pips? by Another John
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I haven't seen it ..... I had both my digital radio and my FM radio on this teatime, in different rooms. At 6pm The Pips were broadcast. Given that digital is always out of synch with FM -- which is the more accurate time signal? Come to think of it I have another question, related, and equally dumb. Given that digital is digital, and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 17th 13 11:29 AM
by tedjrr[_3_] Go to last post
70 1,184
Another DAB or FM aerial question. by [email protected]
What quality of aerial (in relation to reception, not build, quality) would be made from simply stripping a length of coax to (half?) the wavelength so the internal core wire is exposed? If the point at which the outer braid is stripped is the covered in self-amalgamating tape for a measure of weather-proofin, could a reasonable aerial be made? TIA.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 16th 13 05:52 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
23 452
Both my PVRs have wanered off into the wilderness! by Ian Field
The Digifusion crashed and started up with the OS initialisation screen - it finished rebooting with "no channels currently stored" - having rescanned, I'm now getting East Midlands local BBC news (should be Look East from Sandy Heath). Fiine - I'll just watch Look East on the Humax, no such luck - that's picking up BBC London (the aerial isn't even pointing that way).
September 15th 13 05:11 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
4 170
Home Cinema System by Stuart Nolan
Just bought a Philips HTD3510 Home Cinema System to replace on that went 'ka-boom'!! Having unpacked it I noticed that this new one has not got a 'scart' socket like my previous system had but has got instructions to connect with a HDMI cable. So I went & bought one and connected the unit up as instructions but I can not get any TV sound at all, the actual unit does work on radio but no matter...
September 15th 13 03:44 PM
by Stuart Nolan Go to last post
0 160
CCTV DVR recommendations by Stephen[_6_]
HI I am in the market for a 8 or 9 channel CCTV DVR (digital video recorder.) I have 700 TVL cameras so they require a recording resolution of D1 or 4CIF (both are very similar if not identical) The attributes that the DVR *MUST* have is a full recording capability of 25 fps at full D1/4CIF on *ALL* its channels simultaneously. so thats a global recording resource of 200 fps at D1/4CIF for...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 15th 13 12:58 AM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
13 687
Sky boxes with digital optical output by Peter Crosland
Mine does not have one but has the option in the menu. I would like to use this to interface with my surround sound system. Is there a list of which have this facility or any means of telling without inspecting the box before buying? TIA -- Peter Crosland
September 14th 13 08:29 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
7 184
ot ion blockrocker by Gary[_4_]
our blockrocker has gone quiet. no sound at all. anyone had and info on these. They cost a lot to replace. Thanks Gary
September 14th 13 02:15 PM
by John Williamson Go to last post
1 150
BBC hampers police by not giving suspect description by Bill Wright[_2_]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24014232 The woman was assaulted by three men who then ran off towards Tottenham Court Road. She was taken to a central London hospital where she is being treated for serious facial injuries. Police are keen to speak to anyone who may have been in the area at the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 14th 13 12:16 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
26 430
F plug face plate with soldered tags by David.WE.Roberts
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=AV18544 This is a metal faceplate and the solder tag for the braid is almost touching the face plate. Now I assume I can bend the tag up to about 45 degrees, but why design/ ship something where the tag is so close to the faceplate? Or am I missing something obvious?
September 13th 13 02:30 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
6 192
Which in car DVR? by Peter Crosland
I am considering buy one of these. Has anyone got any constructive suggestions as to which model to buy. Quality is more important than economy. Ease of use and GPS would be nice. -- Peter Crosland
September 13th 13 12:02 PM
by Peter Crosland Go to last post
7 171
the hundred year old aerial by Bill Wright[_2_]
I recently had a look at an outdoor TV aerial that would have been installed in the 1950s. It was in remarkably good condition, and it made me wonder how long it will last. I wonder if it will still be up there in 2055? I suppose in 2055 there will still be plenty of 1950s loft aerials around. Soon we will have 100 year old radio aerials on some roofs. I know of a few wire aerials dating from...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
19 319
Film4 by Jeff Layman[_2_]
Is it or is it not on Channel 15? Had the Humax YouView on and punched in "15". It said that the channel was not available. The EPG went straight from 14 to 16. I eventually found that in the EPG Film4 was on 791 and 800 both had the Film4 schedule.When I tried to get Film4 on 791 it was just black for several seconds, then it showed a message that Film4 had moved and was no longer on...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 11th 13 11:14 AM
by Davey Go to last post
21 455
tx power versus received signal by Bill Wright[_2_]
I can never quite get my head round this. Suppose a transmitter increases the ERP from 10kW to 20kW. What will the increase in received signal strength be, expressed in dB? What about an increase from 10 to 15kW? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 9th 13 09:28 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
11 284
Once upon a time - last episode - EPG screw up? by Dave Saville[_2_]
My Toppy failed to record this last night - Because it was not in the EPG for C5 at 20:00. But the C5 on demand site claimed it had been broadcast at that time. IIRC the EPG claimed an episode of CSI somewhere. -- Regards Dave Saville
September 9th 13 11:03 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
2 178
how to support an overhead cable by Bill Wright[_2_]
Wall bracket, catenary wire, strainer? No! Just do it this way. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/catenary%20support.jpg Bill
September 9th 13 07:23 AM
by Ian Jackson[_2_] Go to last post
6 683
Title of Filme Noi Platinum Heist by Java Jive[_2_]
Can anyone tell me the title of a French film with English subtitles that I saw on British TV around 1970 give or take about 5 years. It's a crime film, and (I think towards the end of it) the criminals hijacked a security van containing platinum in hilly/mountainous countryside. It's not, as I had previously been led to believe, "Le Deuxieme Souffle" ("Second Wind"), based on Jose Giovanni's...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 8th 13 10:46 PM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
12 250
Semi technical question by Brian Gaff
We have vertically and horizontally polarised tv transmitters, but why don't we have something in between, ie still 90 degrees apart but neither vertical or horizontal. I guess the transmitting aerials might be a bit difficult to design, but I was more interested in whether there would be any difference in coverage. When we used to have band 1 and band 3 tv, I often found that Horizontal...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 8th 13 06:17 PM
by Graham.[_2_] Go to last post
30 406
DC-DC conversion by Bill Wright[_2_]
Anyone know of a device that will charge a 24V lead-acid battery from a nominal 24V DC supply? Input 20 to 28V. Output 27V adjustable to get the charge rate right. Charge rate would ideally be 8A, tapering down. Anyone? Bill
September 7th 13 06:13 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
4 135
Post New Thread