Post New Thread
TV IR remote fun by Paul D Smith[_2_]
OK, perhaps OT, but it's controlling a TV using a digital IR ;-). If you're not interested, apologies and stop reading. Thought you might like to hear of some fun I've been having with a Samsung TV. The TV lives in a works canteen and the owners want to display both a TV picture, and also a webpage with useful company bumf. To cut a long story short, the TV is "smart", but not that smart...
November 25th 13 02:47 PM
by Paul D Smith[_2_] Go to last post
8 244
The ghost in the machine by Roderick Stewart[_3_]
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 20:53:39 +0000, tony sayer wrote: OK all noted but it still seems that theres nothing that Linux can do that Windows doesn't do for the average Joe user?.. Except cost nothing, and not require activation, and install in less than half an hour instead of half a day. Rod.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 25th 13 12:35 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
32 474
OTB... Video problem and a laugh... by Woody[_5_]
Has anyone come across this one that can give me a clue. I am running XP SP3. I have just loaded Family Tree Maker 2014 which is specified as suitable for XP, Vista, 7 and 8. When I start the prog a small box appears in the middle of the screen with a 'running line' showing that the application is initialising. Whilst the box is present the screen goes black for about a second seven times...
November 25th 13 09:00 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
1 175
Soft BBC - AGAIN by Woody[_5_]
Just been watching an item about Kennedy's assassination on BBC Breakfast. They showed the famous colour film of the motorcade from a high point but cut it short as "what happened next is too horrific to show." Eh? I remember as a 13 year old exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time of the announcement and for days afterwards the various pieces of film (videotape was in its...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 25th 13 02:13 AM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
20 385
It makes yer weep by Bill Wright[_2_]
The customer of long-standing rung up to say that he couldn't control one of his satellite boxes from other rooms, and that the picture was poor. Reception of terrestrial TV was 'iffy'. He'd had a new box following the demise of the old one. It turned out that the 'engineer' who'd installed it (no names no pack drill) had (a) ignored the label on the aerial feed to the TV set and connected...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 24th 13 11:13 AM
by Tim+[_2_] Go to last post
19 468
Too much news by Brian Gaff
Is there too much news being broadcast. I mean its everywhere these days, even 24 hour if you want it. I'm not sure, I used to think that lots of different takes on the news were good things, listening to the short wave stations with their completely different angles on stories. However now I've noticed that although rt and the Arab funded channels do sort of have different angles, its...
November 24th 13 08:57 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
8 185
moisture content of mushrooms by [email protected]
On Sunday, 17 November 2013 05:13:21 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote: The ones that hold less water have not mush room inside? This is what the internet was invented for ;-)
November 22nd 13 08:58 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 138
Channel 4 oddity by Hugh Newbury
Ch4 appears on my new tv on DTV4 and DTV8. I think it was only on DTV4 on my old tv. And no, it's not in Welsh on DTV8! Hugh -- Hugh Newbury
November 22nd 13 04:43 PM
by Hugh Newbury Go to last post
2 199
current limited rechargables? by Mike[_19_]
In article , Roderick Stewart wrote: However, it's physically possible to connect lots of PP3s in a zigzag arrangement which puts them in series. You have to zig-zag the batteries to get AC, I think ... http://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-emergency-electricity-backup/
November 22nd 13 04:42 PM
by Dave Plowman (News) Go to last post
5 208
Muxes 7 and 8 Winter Hill by Mark Carver
Reports that they've been sparked up this afternoon, UHF Chs 31 and 37, carrying null packets ? -- Mark Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
November 22nd 13 06:23 AM
by Mark Carver Go to last post
3 191
Just a reminder about the sensitivity of modern DTT boxes by Bill Wright[_2_]
I've been setting up some Humax boxes in the workshop. I wanted to use the raw Emley Moor aerial feed because there's a fault on the RF system that I haven't got round to fixing. The raw feed has no filters. Bilsdale comes in with very uneven muxes at around -6dBmV. I attenuated the feed by 30dB and the boxes were still tuning Bilsdale, and reception was perfect. That's ridiculous. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 21st 13 07:55 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
15 429
Samsing UE55F6800 by Pinnerite[_2_]
I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it scans for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why. -- ___________________________________________________ Mageia 3 for x86_64, Kernel: 3.8.13.4 -desktop-1.mga3 KDE version 4.10.5 Running on an AMD 4-core processor
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 20th 13 06:07 PM
by brightside S9 Go to last post
25 801
current limited rechargables - Ben's verdict by Bill Wright[_2_]
After they got home... Mummy: That was an exciting experiment Grandad did! Ben: Yes, I didn't notice he was so clever before! Bill
November 20th 13 01:52 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
3 183
Triax IR emitter (310013) question by Paul D Smith[_2_]
Anyone using one of these with a Triax distribution system and able to answer a couple of questions? I need a "consumer grade" IR emitter (i.e. one that look pretty!) to complete my for my Raspberry-Pi/Samsung TV project and this looks the job, but I can't find any specs on it. The questions I need answered, in order of need, a 1. What direction is the emitter pointing and can this be...
November 20th 13 10:16 AM
by Paul D Smith[_2_] Go to last post
0 204
Dear Bill by MikeS
I appreciate your knowledge of TV aerials and distribution systems and value your relevant posts as well as your web site. However, I wish you could restrain yourself from using the uk.tech newsgroups to post your views on hundreds of other topics. Why not send them to the Daily Mail where there will find a vastly greater appreciative audience?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 19th 13 10:56 AM
by Ian Go to last post
42 640
Humax puzzle by Davey
Originally posted in uk.~.pvr. I am new to the world of PVRs. I have a Humax-Fox T2, and I can't find how to successfully watch a program on a USB stick. I have tried just about every format I can think of, but the PVR always recognises that there is a stick attached, but never seems to see anything on it. It never shows it in the Storage list, even as a place to which to copy a program already...
November 18th 13 11:41 AM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
4 223
Didital spectrum, DAB and FM by David.WE.Roberts
Following on from TV based discussion on allocation of spectrum etc. which mentioned DAB radio. Some of my phones, and my latest Android tablet, provide FM radio which uses the headphone lead as an aerial. I haven't so far seen any DAB radio App for Android. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=965913
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 17th 13 03:19 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
13 485
removal of archives by Bill Wright[_2_]
The BBC have gleefully reported that the Conservatives have removed a lot of pre-2010 material from their website. They use the word 'spotted' as if a crime has been committed. They did not report this at all: http://www.labour.org.uk/news-archive?c076b2da-a7a5-f434-9d91-aa2dc9db98cc=805 I can't find anything pre-2010 here. More BBC left-wing bias. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 16th 13 01:01 AM
by Yellow[_2_] Go to last post
19 409
Swiss aerials by Bill Wright[_2_]
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/Swiss%20aerials.jpg Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 14th 13 04:21 PM
by Ulrich Onken Go to last post
16 346
typical BBC pro-EEC bias by Andy Burns[_8_]
Ian Jackson wrote: I hope their next target isn't electric kettles, because unless heat losses are greatly reduced, this could result in them taking far longer to boil, and more energy being used. Can't restrict hoovers to 900W but still have 2.5kW hair dryers, so they'll be next ...
November 13th 13 12:41 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
1 100
Post New Thread