Post New Thread
TV distribution system project by Bill Wright[_2_]
My own TV distribution system was in need of attention. It had a lot of minor faults. Then I learnt about muxes 7 and 8, and the local transmissions, none of which would be carried by the system without modification. Being more-or-less retired I decided I had the time to do something about it. However I didnít want to spend money on it. So I decided to do the whole thing from bits and bobs...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 16th 14 12:32 AM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
75 956
Dad's Army in HD by Tweed[_2_]
Dad's Army on BBC2 HD tonight is listed as being an HD originated programme. Does anyone how it can be in HD as I thought it was shot in the studio on SD colour cameras. It's not one of the filmed episodes. (Except for some of the outside scenes) The picture looks noticeably sharper than the average Dad's Army episode. Tonight's episode is entitled "Manhunt".
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 15th 14 04:22 PM
by Ian Jackson[_2_] Go to last post
42 869
gap in messages by Bill Wright[_2_]
I didn't get a message from this group between last night at 23.36 and 11.06 today. This is most unusual. Did everyone shut up or is there a fault? Bill
January 14th 14 10:05 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
9 192
Remotes by Bill Wright[_2_]
I started the horrible job of sorting out the stock room this morning. I haven't done it for 35 years. I was so cold this morning. It was -6 in there (it's a freestanding building). I found some ridiculous stuff. Really ridiculous. Whatever possessed me to save things like that? For many years I've had a weird feeling that turnbuckles (used to tighten guy wires, etc) have been evaporating....
January 13th 14 09:04 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
9 138
Sky TV on demand by Mr Pounder
I posted this to uk.tech.tv.sky but it looks a bit dead in there Okay, I'm stupid and know nothing about wireless. I got my TV on demand wireless connector yesterday. I can plug it in etc, then it comes to the password thingee. I'm supposed to enter it on the Sky remote control, but it would seem that many people have had problems doing this as the passphase is letters. My Virgin Media...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 13th 14 04:07 PM
by Mr Pounder Go to last post
14 433
Is teletext dead ? by Viewer
I note teletext has disappeared from ITV and Ch4 - in fact probably everywhere except BBC1 SD and BBC2 SD. I do use it for racing results and football results when I don't wish to check on the computer. (Also I use it via Freeview, as it takes too long to access via my Virgin cable box.) Is the BBC teletext on borrowed time ?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 13th 14 12:31 AM
by Derek F[_4_] Go to last post
19 278
HDTVs and audio by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
At long last I've decided to take the plunge and buy an HDTV 'Freeview' set. Almost certainly an LED Panasonic of modest size. I'd welcome some answers to a few pretty basic questions, mainly wrt the audio side of operations. 1) Is it standard for such sets to accept audio in via HDMI and then copy that out via an SPDIF coax/optical outlet for connection to a decent external DAC? If the answer...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 12th 14 11:54 AM
by Andy Furniss[_3_] Go to last post
70 813
Humax update announcement tomorrow...... HD recording problem fix?? by Dickie mint[_2_]
On Humax facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HumaxUK "Check back here tomorrow as we are releasing an update! " Wonder if they've fixed the Freeview HD recording problem??? Richard
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 11th 14 12:31 AM
by Davey Go to last post
47 557
TOT - weather reports by Steve Thackery[_2_]
Of course we've had lots of "weather" recently, as has America. But you know what? Something feels funny - when I watch the BBC News it's as if the coverage is just that bit "bigger" and more dramatic than it needs to be. Note, I am NOT belittling the issues faced by those who've been flooded or frozen. I'm only talking about the BBC's reporting of it. We all know that one effect claimed for...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 10th 14 09:33 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
53 738
hummy.tv forum by Dickie mint[_2_]
Anyone know what's happened to the hummy.tv forum? Looks like it's reverted back to a placeholder for investment sites. Or has it been hijacked? richard
January 10th 14 08:18 PM
by Yellow[_2_] Go to last post
2 191
[OT] Timer circuit for solar powered lights by Paul D Smith[_2_]
Most of you know your way around a soldering iron so can anyone recommend a NG or source for this problem please? I purchased some solar powered Xmas tree lights and they work fine except that 7 hours of murky winter daylight is not enough to keep them going for 17 hours of night. Since I don't care if they're on at 2am, I would like to add a simple, and of course lower, timer circuit so...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 10th 14 04:21 PM
by alan Go to last post
21 397
This ere local tv lark. by Brian Gaff
I had to do a retune of my ever so unrelaible set top box yesterday. There are three channels on 790 to 792, the last two with tones switching back and forth and proclaiming they are the new tv local station for London. Now why are there three channels and when does it actually start to transmit anything? Seems a bit wasteful of space if there is only going to be one though as the multiplex...
January 10th 14 02:15 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
9 150
Crystal Palace testing QPSK Local TV (Ch29) by Ian Jackson[_2_]
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2014/january/crystal_palace_testing_qps k_local_tv.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3 A+AmateurRadioNews+%28Southgate+Amateur+Radio+News%29 http://www.a516digital.com/p/local-tv.html Near Beaconsfield, near M40 J2, Ch29 is about 10dB down on the rest - and at the moment, so is Ch33. The two test channels are on 791 and 792 on the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 10th 14 01:05 PM
by Wymsey Go to last post
10 312
Sky Now TV Box, Composite video out cable by Adrian C
Small heads up if someone is thinking of connecting Sky's "Now TV" internet streaming box using the NTSC composite video output (instead of HDMI), the particular 3.5mm to 3 x RCA cable required is differently wired to the common arrangement for camcorders. http://anythingbutipod.com/2006/04/zen-vision-m-video-cable-other-4pole-35mm-pinouts/ Search Amazon for a "Nokia CA-75U" TV out cable....
January 9th 14 07:28 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
8 1,689
f plugs: zinc or brass? by [email protected]
Hello, I was looking to buy some f plugs, coax to f type adaptors, couples, etc. and see that they are available in nickel plated brass or zinc. Is there any difference? Google said zinc was softer and would wear but I'm not sure whether they are pure zinc or an alloy; the latter might be more durable? For domestic use where they are not going to be unplugged repeatedly, I can't see this is an...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 9th 14 06:57 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
19 310
Extending wi-fi by Geoff Pearson
My BT Home Hub 3 running on Infinity is downstairs in my study. The wi-fi from that reaches all parts of the house using my DELL laptop. I take a feed up to my TV in the drawing room on the first floor using Home Plugs and that works well - HD transfers perfectly. Then I bought an iPad which depends on wi-fi but cannot pick up the router in the front part of the house and certainly not...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 9th 14 09:46 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
63 778
distortion on dark scenes by phil Halesowen
I have a problem relating to watching play back from a DVD on my tv. Basically when a scene is set at night on a DVD film there is a sort of distorting almost like a circle lines where it should be black? I thought it was the dvd player, so I tried the disc in a Sony PS3 bluray and still had the same problem. But the problem does not exist on watching a film on my HD tv via freeview. This...
January 9th 14 07:43 AM
by phil Halesowen Go to last post
0 113
I do not understand Currys/PCWord and TV set selling. by David[_9_]
Over the past couple of days have visited a couple of their stores to look at a particular TV set, found it and saw it showing promos or what ever for the shop just like all the TV sets were. I asked if I could see a TV picture such as BBC1 on it and was told they are not wired up to an aerial. Was assured if I bought and got it home it would receive TV programs. I had no way of knowing...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 9th 14 06:47 AM
by Charlie+ Go to last post
28 409
Curved is the new flat by Brian Gaff
So there we are then, we get rid of space hogging hurnier inducing crts, and go wafer thin flat screen. Now by all acounts we are going curved screen. Why? What is the point? I've not seen one and don't even know what sort of curve we are talking about, but buth LG and Samsung seem to be tallking up the idea offering ideas like moor natural viewing, and stuff like that. Is this just another...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 8th 14 06:54 PM
by tim...... Go to last post
31 610
DAB recievers crashing. by Dave Plowman (News)
I have two different make DAB receivers. Both will crash within about 2 weeks if left powered, and require a power off reset to work again. Why would this be? FreeView or FM seem unaffected. -- *Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs. Dave Plowman London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 8th 14 02:50 PM
by Mark[_7_] Go to last post
49 515