Post New Thread
Lower frequency usage by Brian Gaff
How is it that we do not use the lower frequencies we used to use for tv, for tv again? Even one multiplex is better than none. OK so the aerials are big, and perhaps propogation is a bit of an issue at times, but much of band 1 seems to be empty now. Perhaps use it for fm instead? I've yet to see any kind of enthusiasm for moving over to dab en masse by fm stations. Brian --
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 28th 17 11:20 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
21 239
Vodafone scraps roaming charges, but not in UK. by charles[_2_]
In article , Martin wrote: On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:41:10 +0100, "Woody" wrote: "Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message ... Tweed wrote in :
April 28th 17 12:16 PM
by S Viemeister[_2_] Go to last post
5 127
freesat box unused input by Stephen[_7_]
Hello, I have a freesat box that has two inputs but there is only one cable going into the bedroom. Not wanting to climb ladders and fit new LNB and cable etc. just yet, what should do with the unused input? The manual says nothing. Do I leave it alone or should it be terminated? It is a Humax 1010S. I have one downstairs which has both inputs connected and it is fine. The one upstairs is not...
April 27th 17 12:33 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
9 146
Crock.Pot by Dave W
"Woody" wrote in message ... My Management (SWMBO) is thinking of buying a CrockPot slow cooker to use whilst our Aga is off during the summer and in the caravan whilst we are away. The unit is rated 1200W which with a 6A supply limit on many European sites is sailing a bit close to the wind. The device is rated as having...
April 27th 17 11:38 AM
by Dave W Go to last post
5 120
iPlayer metadata AWOL again! by Johnny B Good[_2_]
Earlier this afternoon (26th) I noticed a total absence of metadata when trying to update the tv listings. I made do with grabbing the pids from the Beeb's TV scheduling web pages to grab the media files with get_iplayer. The downloaded files are simply given names made up by GIP but for me, this is only a minor problem since I copy and paste the names from the off-air recordings that I make...
April 27th 17 07:07 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
2 206
Satellite & Terrestrial Calculators by Java Jive[_2_]
Some of you may have noticed that over recent months I've been making some gradual changes to my site. Although, many have been 'transparent' to the visitor, such as replacing common bits of coding by Server Side Includes, which merely make the site much easier to manage from my point of view, others, such as having fixed navigators at the top of each page, hopefully are better for the visitor...
April 26th 17 11:36 AM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
2 102
Any Topfield experts out there? by Eddie King[_2_]
Hi all, my trusty Topfield 7700 seems on its way out. The story is as follows: a few months ago, it forgot its stored channels, I did a re-scan and arranged the channels in the order I required. This seemed to work until yesterday, when I tried to record a programm and found that the Toppy wouldn't accept any remote control commands (apart from off) so I couldn't access the
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 24th 17 07:47 PM
by Mike Tomlinson[_2_] Go to last post
10 237
Meeja strikes again? by Woody[_5_]
Did anyone see the 10pm news on BBC1 tonight? An item about the 'armarda' that Donald Trump supposedly sent to 'keep an eye' on the works of North Korea. The 6th fleet was in Singapore and was despatched accordingly. Some bright sub-ed came up with the idea of generating a graphic map to show
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 23rd 17 09:54 AM
by J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_] Go to last post
31 235
BBC is constipated by Phi
Went to stream Guardians of the Galaxy on iPlayer through browser, but get message to say 'For legal reasons we can't play this programme here', but you can watch it by switching your TV to BBC one: alas I have no TV
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 21st 17 05:19 PM
by Huge Go to last post
29 202
Interactive tv by Brian Gaff
Many many years ago one of the much vaunted plus points of tv delivered over the internet was interactive programs. Whatever happened to that? We could all vote in the election or referenda weekly if we wanted to then. Also of course in much the same way as 'turns' on old fashioned talent shows were hooked off after a few minutes if they were dying, we could get rid of the worst programs...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 20th 17 11:26 PM
by Graham.[_12_] Go to last post
12 189
Doctor Who is moonlighting on LBC radio by Ian Jackson[_7_]
Well that's how it appears to be. At the end of every traffic bulletin on LBC radio, the reader says "For the latest real time-travel updates, go to the LBC.com website." -- Ian
April 20th 17 09:31 AM
by Bob Latham Go to last post
6 171
This 'new channels' game by Brian Gaff
On Freeview it seems to me that channels re invent themselves by giving themselves new names. The other tendency is that they do a deal to get hold of shows that do not fit their current name, so they create a part time new channel in the same bandwidth to show them restricting the hours of the old one. Quest seem to be playing this game, though for the life of me I do not see the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 19th 17 07:31 PM
by pamela Go to last post
34 299
Spell checker by Brian Gaff
Does my spell checker know something I don't? Satnav suggestion is sauna. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff... Blind user, so no pictures please!
April 17th 17 08:59 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
5 121
Parker's mike by Bill Wright[_3_]
On the Halifax advert Parker the chauffeur's microphone is actually a belling socket. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 14th 17 11:14 AM
by Robin[_8_] Go to last post
30 303
Glitching AD by Brian Gaff
I was on more 4 the other night and on E4 later on and both had the AD just coming in short packets of fragments of words, when other stations were fine. Has anyone else encountered this. It is my belief that nobody monitors this track on output, so if it goes pear shaped they only know form looking at their response pages or call logs later on, and do they rebroadcast them, no of course...
April 12th 17 11:13 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 103
Streaming BBC Breakfast today by Phi
At programme end a big red screen came up and displayed, 'this channel is not available in your area yet' with information about satelite channels and free to air channels. The red screen was semi transparent with a background of people in wheelchairs trying to get into a semi circle painted on the floor. It stayed like this for about ten minutes until the next programme started missing ten...
April 10th 17 01:59 PM
by Phi Go to last post
6 120
Philips tuner for a Toshiba HDD & DVD/ Video Cassette Recorder modelRD-XV48DTKB. by Dean Jackson
Does anyone know of a possible source for a Philips tuner for a Toshiba HDD & DVD/ Video Cassette Recorder model RD-XV48DTKB. Local repair person says that they are unavailable. D.J.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 8th 17 03:31 PM
by Adrian Caspersz Go to last post
20 256
Smart tvs dumb by Brian Gaff
You know this term of smart tv does seem to be a strange one. In most cases they are not smart, indeed many are almost impossible to work by ordinary people who do not have a 7 year old child around. I was talking to a friend of mine who reckoned her cheapo Sainsburies tv basic freeview with hd tv, was far easier to use than the Samsung one she used to have, as she never could figure out the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 7th 17 04:45 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
27 229
why 12V? by Bill Wright[_3_]
So many things run on 12V DC. Firstly, why has that become the standard? Is it all because of the nominal voltage of a car battery? Secondly, wouldn't 24 or 48V be more convenient for many things? I heard a few years back something about new cars being 48V in the near future. Did it ever happen? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 7th 17 03:24 PM
by charles[_2_] Go to last post
435 2,109
Subtitle Disaster by Davey
I know that programme subtitles are not an exact science, but the rendition on the Beeb's programme this evening about the photographer Olive Edis reached a new low. They spent as much time correcting themselves as displaying the wrong words, and there was no excuse for being live, it was a prerecorded assemble programme. A letter of complaint is to be sent. We pay for this with our license fee,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 6th 17 10:40 PM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
28 177
Post New Thread

Display Options
Showing threads 161 to 180 of 19524