Post New Thread
Perpetual motion? by Bill Wright[_3_]
Interesting to see that CPC advertise some of their 12V input, 230V output inverters as a means to 'charge batteries ... in case of a power blackout.' Bill
August 14th 17 09:19 AM
by bilou[_2_] Go to last post
8 67
My set top box says channels change on 16 aug. by Brian-Gaff
Hopefully this will get rid of all those left overs from the main change and I can retune and get my 800 channels back in the right place. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active Remember, if you don't like where I post or what I say, you don't have to read my posts! :-)
August 12th 17 04:07 AM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
0 86
When will the dummy channels be removed? by Brian Gaff
Anyone know when all the dummy old channels will go away on Freeview? Until that occurs I fancy my local mux channels will have to remain over ch 800. I have been told by some people that the system is basically stuffed by the huge number of channels and suffers this issue due to this. It has no memory to shove things into the right slots, which might also explain some repeats as well...
August 11th 17 04:09 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
8 103
BBC News Blunder by Java Jive[_2_]
"Powys man gets broadband via satellite over Africa" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-40745533 " they are positioned above the equator to maximise coverage." Oh dear! Actually, they are positioned over the equator because that is the only place you can obtain a geo-stationary orbit, enabling fixed dishes to work. Satellites that aren't in geo-stationary orbit
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 10th 17 05:27 PM
by Terry Casey[_2_] Go to last post
365 1,409
Wenvoe woes by Jeff Layman[_2_]
We've just been staying in a holiday cottage west of Bristol. The TV reception was poor - no signal from Mendip due to a hill being in the way, so reception was from Wenvoe (about 30km west). According to https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Wenvoe reception should have been good, but it wasn't. There was nothing on Com 6, 7, and 8 - none of the 3 TVs there would even register their existence....
August 7th 17 10:06 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
7 196
Someone has pulled out a plug by Phi
Due to a technical fault we can't bring you Look North, our engineers are working on it.
August 7th 17 08:59 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
2 95
Humax Freesat upgrade by David[_14_]
We have a (several years) old Humax Foxsat HD where the BBC iPlayer no longer works and there is no recording capability (internal or external). We also have a Humax HB1000S with an external drive for recording. The only issue with this is the single tuner which means you can't watch one thing and record another. However this isn't a massive issue because I would have to upgrade from a 4...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 6th 17 10:59 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
32 264
So retune day ishere.. by Brian Gaff
Should I expect it now or wait till tonight? Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff... Blind user, so no pictures please!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 5th 17 12:15 PM
by pamela Go to last post
49 255
BBC news coverage of the Passchendaele centenary. by Terry Casey[_2_]
I was appalled by the inaccuracies in the the BBC's 10 o'clock News last night in the reports of the centenary of the start of the Third Battle of Ieper. The battle lasted three months until the village of Passchendaele - its target, was reached - we were told. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! The target was the North Sea ports with the intention of halting the activities of the German U-boats which...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 4th 17 10:35 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
58 372
DAVE appeared on Freesat yesterday by Dave W
Channel 157. But Dave Ja Vue is still only on Freeview.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 4th 17 10:31 AM
by Andy Burns[_12_] Go to last post
14 148
channel line-up by Bill Wright[_3_]
The Freeview TV guide (the LCN) is set to be updated and expanded on Wednesday, 2 August. Some channels will be moving to new numbers and viewers may need to retune to ensure they have the latest channel line-up, where this isn’t automatic. Ofcom have published more info on 700 MHz with some start dates for the STV channel moves. Link to the information on Digital UK’s...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 3rd 17 07:02 PM
by tim...[_2_] Go to last post
14 184
IOT] Bostik No,. 2 by Pinnerite
I needed to plug the top of a small short black plastic tube. After scratching my head for a bit, I remembered that I once had a tube of Bostik number 2, kept in a garage drawer. I recovered it, a little dusty but otherwise unaffected by the effluxion of time. After applying it I realised that I could not remember how long it would take to cure. What's more the tube was now the partly...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 3rd 17 01:16 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
29 190
CBS Drama changed channel on Sky by Ron
Why has CBS Drama changed channel to 269? It is confusing my 90 year old mother.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 3rd 17 09:03 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
13 129
I can't get rid of the smell by Brian Gaff
T'other day, I put on my not that old TV. I never normally use it when I'm here on my own as the screen is a little redundant. However it was dusty inside it and as it got warm it made a smell not unlike that combination of old fan heater and melting transformer varnish one gets on older gear. No its flat screen, but anyway, eventually I forgot about it and yet since then all I can smell is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 31st 17 06:51 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
40 370
"Fearlss" Episode 6: Review by Maurice[_3_]
Been looking in vain since the final version went out on Monday for a review that explains the scene with the apparently boobytrapped car. Seems Banville wore a 'wire tap' to catch out the minister, but no explanation as to : (1) The coincidence that he turned up just at the right time to judge that Banville's car might be boobytrapped. (2) Why the bomb that the American agent (we were...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 31st 17 03:04 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
15 145
Aerial overhang by Brian Gaff
I was just wondering how the law might see a pole fastened to a convenient fence post in my garden fence line at the bottom with an aerial on it. The point is that it would point out toward the back alley overhanging it. Apart from the temptation for the local yobs to attempt to damage it, does this sort of thing contravene any laws? I as as if you have aerials on chimneys or gable ends one...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 30th 17 09:17 PM
by Robin[_8_] Go to last post
35 257
Promo sim by Peter Johnson[_5_]
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 15:56:58 +0100, Bill Wright wrote: But what is it? I know what a sim card is. Why does the O2 invoice have two sections, one of which is called Promo Sim? My guess is that that's how they deal with any discount you negotiated with them when you signed up/renewed.
July 21st 17 03:24 PM
by Peter Johnson[_5_] Go to last post
0 103
Today's puzzle by Jeff Layman[_2_]
I have an old, but perfectly usable, 37" Panasonic LED TV. It happily displays full HD (1080i/p), but only has an SD tuner. With so much being transmitted on HD channels, I thought it time to get an HD box for it. Fortuitously, I was in John Lewis today, and decided to browse round the TV dept. In one area they had the "customer returns", and I spotted a Manhattan Plaza HD T2 box, with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 18th 17 06:02 PM
by Mark[_6_] Go to last post
11 241
Tennis on 1080i by Scott[_2_]
How come the tennis on terrestrial HD is being shown in 1080i? I thought 1080p was used for fast moving images and 1080i for relatively static shots.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 18th 17 01:26 PM
by Klaus Go to last post
11 189
Horizon 2017: Strange Signals from Outer Space by Phi
Not much original science content in this programme and the narrator keeps repeating what the scientists say.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 17th 17 10:44 PM
by Norman Wells[_6_] Go to last post
118 765