Post New Thread
Beware low sat dishes. by Brian Gaff
Just heard a story that sounds a bit, um unlikely to me on one of those local stations nobody listens to except by accident. Apparently during the summer a neighbour turned their extension flat roof into a playground for the kids complete with fence, paddling pool and trampoline ( are they trying to kill their children?). However the crux of the story was that next doors flat roof had the...
December 13th 16 07:57 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
4 80
3D glasses for Sony TV? by Kenny
Sony branded TDG-BT500A are nearly 50 per single pair. Cheaper brands of TDG-BT500A can be bought on Amazon or Ebay at 27 for 2 pairs. Will there be much difference between them? Kenny Cargill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 12th 16 10:47 AM
by Kenny Go to last post
10 103
should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY? by Nightjar
On 06-Dec-16 8:43 AM, Richard wrote: "Nightjar" wrote in message ... On 06-Dec-16 2:07 AM, Bill Wright wrote: On 06/12/2016 00:45, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: Just watched HIGMNFY tonight. No wonder you are so annnoyed. Your party getting taken to the cleaners at every turn.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 12th 16 09:03 AM
by Rod Speed Go to last post
45 210
BBC3 by Brian Gaff
Do you know I've not missed this channel since it went online, but now I notice that the on air channels are plugging programmes on that channel and more than that making said program a kind of link to one you just watched. if i were a cynic I'd suggest nobody can be arrsed to watch it so they are trying the old trick they use to get you ontheir web site of, if you have been affected by any...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 12th 16 08:53 AM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
40 197
OT You can't win by Bill Wright[_3_]
I sent a Christmas card to an autistic friend. I'm very fond of her but her reactions are sometimes surprising, as she is totally literally minded. Because of her bereavement this year I included a note: "Let's hope for a better 2017'. She received the card and immediately picked up her phone. "There's 23 days left in 2016. Anyone might die." Bill
December 11th 16 09:02 AM
by David Kennedy[_2_] Go to last post
4 155
things that scared Bella the dog today by RayL12
On 06/12/2016 3:08 PM, Martin wrote: On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 13:29:41 +0000, RayL12 wrote: On 06/12/2016 2:02 AM, Bill Wright wrote: On 05/12/2016 21:25, Tim Lamb wrote: In message , Bill Wright writes On 05/12/2016 09:54, Tim Lamb wrote: In message , Brian...
December 9th 16 09:49 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
1 76
Clearing out by Pinnerite
We have been gradually clearing out our attic. I am a terrible hoarder. Today I reached a couple of cardboard boxes containing all the built and partly built radios and gadgets that have followed me through my life. I'll bet the tuning capacitor with the 1/4" shaft came from my first crystal set. There are small boards with Hivac numicators on the end, the AM radio with ferrite rod aerial...
December 9th 16 07:39 PM
by Terry Casey[_2_] Go to last post
7 89
Watchmakers' Glasses by Java Jive[_2_]
All this faffing around with modern PCBs has convinced me that a 10/20x hand lens is no longer enough. Does anyone have any experience of buying and using watchmakers' glasses, as for example he http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=watchmaker+glasses If so, bearing in mind that already I use spectacles for close-distance work, what make/model would people recommend? I'm surprised to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 9th 16 10:23 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
24 449
Stripes on TV by Scott[_2_]
We were talking about this at the office this morning. At one time certain patterns involving stripes were banned on TV because they caused blurring of the picture. Was this an analogue artifact or does it affect digital also? Does it affect HD as well as SD?
December 9th 16 09:39 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
8 119
Digital drop out. by Brian Gaff
No not some kind of bit hippie, its the tendency for feeds to radio and tv transmitters to be far worse than in the good old analogue days as the word glitch had never been invented. It seems to me listening to freeview radio and dab the momentary drop out sometimes accompanied by a he squeak is pretty common and not the fault of the receiver. Its obviously mostly in the feed as even with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 7th 16 12:17 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
22 128
Programme guide query by Pinnerite
I had been struggling to deploy a computer program called Kaffeine 2.0.5 because that version supposedly could process DVB-T2 (HD) signals. However I couldn't test it because its channel search routine seemed to find and list everything from Berlin to Hanoi but not UK channels. Finding no help on the wwww I finally wrote to the developer, receiving the following reply a couple of days ago.
December 6th 16 12:25 PM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
8 94
TV sound d/a conversion by Chris J Dixon
My new Samsung TV UE43KU6000 has no analogue sound output for my existing hi-fi system. There seem to be a number of very similar looking converter boxes available, of which this is one of the cheapest: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0148KYD0U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480669932&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+to+analogue+tv+audio+converter There is then rather a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 5th 16 11:48 PM
by Dave Plowman (News) Go to last post
23 161
Digital reception by F Murtz
Don't know if UK has similar systems to us in Australia My digital tv reception is shot to hell, They have put an NBN fixed cellular broadband tower a few hundred metres from my house in Couridjah,I do not know if it is up and running yet(the FTTN is not ready yet although it seems to be all in) I wonder if they are testing the tower and 4G is causing my tv reception problem
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 3rd 16 02:05 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
23 157
Does anyone know by Brian Gaff
If panasonics latest models of tvs still have the spoken menus and program guide muchvaunted a couple of years ago, or has this become a casualty of their outsourcing cheapskate backtracking ? At present the only brand of TV I know has it is Samsung. and personally I feel all tvs should have this as standard. its really not much to ask and we are an aging population after all. Brian --
December 3rd 16 12:00 PM
by Andy Burns[_12_] Go to last post
5 81
RNIB Connect Radio too loud by Brian Gaff
What is going on on the radio channels of freeview. the audio levels are all over the place recently, and most are louder than any of the TV sound channels, but RNIB connect, which is only handled in mono on Freeview seems to be much louder than all the others. People have told them many times but they claim there is no way they can change it It sounds better on the internet, but the...
December 3rd 16 11:40 AM
by Scott[_2_] Go to last post
5 142
New fibre installation keeps buffering on BBC by Phi
With a small screen in HD on Windows 10
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 2nd 16 03:41 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
21 219
I dislike ordering stuff that is not in stock by Phi
Twice recently I have tried to order a Sony smart TV listed by Amazon for next day delivery, but it is eventually not available. The latest delivery date now is 21st December so I had to cancel. Argos, Hughes and Richersounds have the TV, but only for in store collection.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 2nd 16 06:14 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
43 210
Co-as cable: truth or nonsense? by Bill Wright[_3_]
Quotes from a recent CCTV trade flier: Start quotes A solid copper centre core as copper is better conductor of electricity and signals than gold! So go for copper conductors. Aluminium is only 61% as effective as copper. Cheap cable such as CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) and CCS (Copper Clad Steel) - Cheaper but in reality a false economy. CCA is around 61%
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 1st 16 09:23 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
33 220
Should I change provider? by pinnerite
I am currently with TalkTalk and have been for many years. I am about half a mile from the exchange and my broadband service is not bad. I just did tests with three different testers. On average I get typically download speeds of 12 Mb/s and upload of 1.47 Mb/s. However I am paying: Broadband & phone £20 Line rental £17.70 Plus 'other call' around £5.00
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 1st 16 09:22 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
14 163
Is access to all frequencies for listening a human right? by Brian Gaff
I think it should be. At the moment there are so many devices that either due to poor design or the way they operate, which pollute the airwaves that its a scandal Back in the old days we just had badly suppressed cars and motors, arcing insulators on pylons, some TVs that kicked out harmonics from internal oscillators, and welders. These could be off or not affecting very many people and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 1st 16 01:12 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
50 327