Post New Thread
"Fearlss" Episode 6: Review by Maurice[_3_]
Been looking in vain since the final version went out on Monday for a review that explains the scene with the apparently boobytrapped car. Seems Banville wore a 'wire tap' to catch out the minister, but no explanation as to : (1) The coincidence that he turned up just at the right time to judge that Banville's car might be boobytrapped. (2) Why the bomb that the American agent (we were...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 31st 17 03:04 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
15 111
Aerial overhang by Brian Gaff
I was just wondering how the law might see a pole fastened to a convenient fence post in my garden fence line at the bottom with an aerial on it. The point is that it would point out toward the back alley overhanging it. Apart from the temptation for the local yobs to attempt to damage it, does this sort of thing contravene any laws? I as as if you have aerials on chimneys or gable ends one...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 30th 17 09:17 PM
by Robin[_8_] Go to last post
35 192
Promo sim by Peter Johnson[_5_]
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 15:56:58 +0100, Bill Wright wrote: But what is it? I know what a sim card is. Why does the O2 invoice have two sections, one of which is called Promo Sim? My guess is that that's how they deal with any discount you negotiated with them when you signed up/renewed.
July 21st 17 03:24 PM
by Peter Johnson[_5_] Go to last post
0 74
Today's puzzle by Jeff Layman[_2_]
I have an old, but perfectly usable, 37" Panasonic LED TV. It happily displays full HD (1080i/p), but only has an SD tuner. With so much being transmitted on HD channels, I thought it time to get an HD box for it. Fortuitously, I was in John Lewis today, and decided to browse round the TV dept. In one area they had the "customer returns", and I spotted a Manhattan Plaza HD T2 box, with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 18th 17 06:02 PM
by Mark[_6_] Go to last post
11 181
Tennis on 1080i by Scott[_2_]
How come the tennis on terrestrial HD is being shown in 1080i? I thought 1080p was used for fast moving images and 1080i for relatively static shots.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 18th 17 01:26 PM
by Klaus Go to last post
11 141
Horizon 2017: Strange Signals from Outer Space by Phi
Not much original science content in this programme and the narrator keeps repeating what the scientists say.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 17th 17 10:44 PM
by Norman Wells[_6_] Go to last post
118 571
No messages on here for a while? by Bill Wright[_3_]
Just posting this as a test really, but here's an interesting site: http://www.pmclauth.com/sentenced/Grooming-Gang-Statistics/Gangs-Jailed Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 17th 17 02:35 PM
by critcher[_6_] Go to last post
13 153
Freeview Explore by Jeff Layman[_2_]
I missed this a few weeks ago: https://www.freeview.co.uk/news-and-blog/press-releases/freeview-play-users-to-get-even-more-from-their-tv-with-launch-of-freeview-explore.html "Freeview Explore will roll out on Freeview Play TVs and set-top boxes this month and paves the way for Freeview to build a deeper relationship with viewers. From today, users can search for programmes by genre or...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 15th 17 10:14 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
22 280
Top tip by Bill Wright[_3_]
If you're going on your bike to put a notice on the village noticeboard don't put the drawing pins in your back pocket. Bill
July 15th 17 10:06 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
4 62
BT/Plusnet TV Recorder (DTR-T2100) by thesimpsons
When playing back an off air recording, if I select fast forward the screen displays a perfect speeded up image. If playing back a recording from an internet channel, fast forward displays "snap shots" of the speeded up image. Just wondering why this should be, it's the same on both a ten year Panasonic and a recent Sony TV. Fred
July 15th 17 08:00 AM
by thesimpsons Go to last post
5 107
Shift of tennis from BBC Two to BBC One by Scott[_2_]
Why does the BBC continue to shift tennis matches from BBC Two to BBC One when particular games are being played, such as Murray v Fognini tonight? Do they think tennis fans are too stupid to operate a remote control successfully? If anyone sets up a recording of the tennis - or Eastenders for that matter - will they end up with the wrong programme recorded or do programme codes handle that?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 14th 17 08:07 PM
by Yellow[_3_] Go to last post
90 404
Philips with extended accessibility by Brian Gaff
I've been told by several sources that all manufacturers who sell tvs in the USA are now forced to make the voice menu driven, ie they need to speak menus. Philips are making great play on this over here, so the big question is, what is the way to find if these tvs really do have the voice. I bet its not on by default and if its being forced on them by the fcc in the states, surely we...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 14th 17 01:25 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
14 131
an easy way to share files and a strange thing in a BBC programme by Bill Wright[_3_]
I am helping with a closed user group on Facebook. We have pinned a page to the head of the list that contains links to Dropbox files that are for permanent reference. We don't want the whole darned contents of the files displayed in Facebook because if they are pinned to top of the list it will be a nuisance and if they aren't they will move down and be forgotten. Many of the 150...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 12th 17 01:20 PM
by Jeff Layman[_2_] Go to last post
14 135
2001: A Space Odyssey by Phi
BBC2 @11:15
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 11th 17 07:35 AM
by Bob Latham Go to last post
42 254
Obscure gangster movies. by Ian Field
Anyone remember which gangster movie had a bloke being winched into a meat grinder truck on tracks? Thanks.
July 10th 17 08:08 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
6 82
BBC Iplayer autoplay by Richmond[_2_]
How do I switch off autoplay on the iplayer website? Somewhere in the help I saw something which said you can turn it off in the iplayer settings, but I can't see any iplayer settings. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer (Autoplay is whatever makes the next episode play without asking).
July 10th 17 09:04 AM
by tim...[_2_] Go to last post
2 237
Ch4 and 4+1 confusion by Jeff Layman[_2_]
Anyone else experience the Ch4 and 4+1 confusion on Freeview SD this afternoon from Rowridge? I turned on the TV to watch the last 20 minutes of Countdown on Channel 4, only to find "Posh Pawnbrokers" showing on Channel 4+1. On channel 13, Countdown was showing. On 104 HD, Countdown was showing normally. Just in case some channel updates had taken place I retuned the TV, but Ch4 and 4+1...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 9th 17 12:02 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
27 160
Voice controlled tellies by Brian Gaff
So anyone had any experiences with these. Having just got an Amazon Echo, I was wondering if the command set on a tellie also runs to something like BBC I Pleyer Please play me Dr Who with audio description. brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
July 4th 17 09:56 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
8 77
Sound on cbs channels by Brian Gaff
The CBS channels are putting out non audio described versions of ncis and other us series. Howeever the audio is muffled and indistinct. In fact a lot of the time it sounds like mono and with a phase shift as if its an old magnetic tape with an azimuth adjusted incorrectly so you get a suck out of particular frequences where the null occurs. I cannot see the pictures, but if their attantion...
July 2nd 17 11:39 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 80
Dropout on digital audio by Pinnerite
I live in the North London area. I run Kaffeine 1.3-git on my computer. SD Television renders perfectly but radio is diabolical. I rarely access radio stations but it would be convenient. It has never bothered me before but I would like to understand why this should be. -- Mageia 5.1 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.65-desktop-1.mga5
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 1st 17 10:31 PM
by Alan White[_3_] Go to last post
16 155