Post New Thread
My first car radio was a Motorola by Bill Wright[_2_]
My first car radio was a Motorola. It was 7" x 2" by about a foot and a half. It had valves, and took a while to warm up. I bought it from a bloke who sidled up to me when I was fixing an aerial in Toll Bar, which was a very dodgy area near Doncaster. I was parked down the alley behind Prospect Road when this bloke appeared, carrying the radio. I connected it to my van battery and put a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 3rd 14 08:29 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
13 233
HD video frequency response by Dave W
Although I've never seen HD, I'm guessing it suits big screens, but the highest spacial frequency bars on a test card are no finer than SD. Is this true? If so, I see no point in getting a big screen as I would have to sit further away from it to look no worse than my SD set. Ideally I would like to see finer detail on the same screensize I have now, but I suspect it's not possible. -- Dave W
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 2nd 14 09:34 AM
by Davey Go to last post
30 561
Sheffield Live: at the end of the day Brian by Bill Wright[_2_]
Well, it started badly. I think it was a bad mistake to open with the young lady newsreader. She had obviously not been chosen either for her attractiveness or her ability to read aloud. She appeared to be completely unrehearsed, and was very nervous. Interestingly, her next appearance was better, and the next better still. With her learning curve so steep, she must have been at the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 1st 14 09:21 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
13 222
4 od to be replaced by All 4 Hub by Derek F[_4_]
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/1401348/channel-4-ditches-4od-announces-new-all-4-hub?_mout=1&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter Derek
September 29th 14 09:51 PM
by tim..... Go to last post
8 190
Found yesterday: the work of a major installation company by Bill Wright[_2_]
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ml7t7h4dnu8oahx/AAAY-k3m_7lve_zDBIG-2sTNa?dl=0 Bill
September 29th 14 06:51 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
4 203
More retuning in October then.. by Brian Gaff[_2_]
I don't get it these days, the world has fanally gone mad. Surely there are enough itv and other channels to suit all. If they actually could make content instead of buying it in from strange parts of the world it might be handy. Who watches all that stuff on the other itv channels like real housewives of, and judge Judy and all those shows about buying houses etc? I think we need tv for...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 29th 14 02:05 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
20 240
BBC I Player by Brian Gaff
Although they have still not fixed their latest tv I player buttons display in all browsers, the BBC seem to gradually be getting the programmes back on the radi player that fell off when they did that update a few months ago, leaving only the pdcast download way to get the content. I have no idea what the problem was and I've seen no info on it, it just started to have more content in the...
September 29th 14 09:14 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
7 189
More retuning in October then.. by Andy Burns[_9_]
Brian Gaff wrote: So what on earth do the ITV want another channel for? Its something like itvb or some such. Anything that reduces the chance of accidentally seeing TOWIE is a good thing.
September 28th 14 05:07 PM
by Peter Crosland Go to last post
3 100
More retuning in October then.. by Graham Murray
"Brian Gaff" writes: So what on earth do the ITV want another channel for? Its something like itvb or some such. Does this need a re-tune? My freeview EPG is already showing ITVBe on channel 26. This came in with the previous re-tune.
September 28th 14 01:39 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
4 340
best way to stop tingles. by Brian Gaff[_2_]
So on some TVs and other household devices, mainly those with only two core leads, a friend is getting tingles on metal parts. I suspect this is just electrostatic effects due to the currennt fad of "I'm off but really I'm still live" modes on them. Is there any way to stop this? I cannot think of one personally but if you are a bit wary about things electrical I can understand it might be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 28th 14 01:37 PM
by Johny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
37 532
More retuning in October then.. by Peter Duncanson
On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 09:00:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff" wrote: So what on earth do the ITV want another channel for? Its something like itvb or some such. BBrian It's the usual answer, Brian. It is a business enterprise. The new channel is being broadcast in the hope of making a profit. They
September 28th 14 11:54 AM
by Steve Thackery[_2_] Go to last post
8 192
Sheffield Live: Day 1 by Bill Wright[_2_]
So far it's been pretty poor. It opened by simply switching from the caption card to a slide sequence (in the middle of a record). The transitions from one slide to the next are random and varied, which makes the whole thing reminiscent of one of my 11 year-old grand daughter's effects-heavy productions.The music they're playing is absolutely appalling; either that stuff that sounds like a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 28th 14 01:31 AM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
12 281
PVR Choice by Chris J Dixon
My Humax 9200T, has given good service, but is getting increasingly temperamental, and I am looking at moving on to the next generation. Looking at the possibilities, there don't seem to be many choices, and even Which "Best Buys" get some really significant poor reviews. It seems that many consider that the latest equipment lacks some of the more useful functions of the older designs.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 25th 14 11:56 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
28 468
Freeview Series CRID not consistent by Colum Mylod
The custom web access to a Hummy Fox is useful in finding why a series entry is broken when a prog continues. I'm surprised (having had a superior UI-wise Tivo) how these can happen (random prog choices with old entries in the schedule): Grimmm on 'Really', eps 1 & 2 had series CRID BDS.TV/MG36UT, all later eps BDS.TV/MG84OJ. When I scheduled ep 1 "record whole series" I never imagined the whole...
September 25th 14 10:21 PM
by Colum Mylod Go to last post
0 297
Exploding glass. by Brian Gaff[_2_]
Does glass eventually fall to bits? I can remember when I was young, my father had several old tellies with round tubes. One day There was a kind of phut and a fizz and the picture faded out. It appeared that the vacuum had gone on the tube. A rare event he said, but the machine was very old and no tube like it was now made. Did this ever happen to more modern crts? I understand they...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 24th 14 11:59 AM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
46 645
PVR chops off programmes -- anything to be done? by Another John
Hail oh mighty uk.tech.digital.tv ... I've seen similar thread lines crop up here, but I rarely read complete threads because I'm usually lost within about two articles... I tend to read the OT or TOT variety of thread. Our Humax HDR Fox-T2 is forever chopping off the final minute or two (or more) of recorded programmes: is there anything that a techno-simpleton like me can do about...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 22nd 14 03:56 PM
by Davey Go to last post
12 321
and again by Bill Wright[_2_]
They've just done it again. "And now we must go over to East Angus where the result is imminent..." Then they play a recording of the declaration, which was on BBC Scotland three minutes earlier. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 22nd 14 02:04 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
10 238
How many aerials on one pole? by Tim+[_2_]
Is there a limit? https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nfu5ep8ogueahq/2014-08-02%2016.31.23.jpg?dl=0 Excuse the poor quality. Taken from a moving car. Tim
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 22nd 14 01:28 AM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
13 295
HUMAX PVR _ 9300T EPG by Alaric
I have a HUMAX 9300T which I bought in December, 2010, and which works perfectly except for the EPG. While this is supposed to show forthcoming programmes for the ensuing 7 days, today it shows only programmes up till Tuesday. After that it is a blank. This can be variable on occasions but after three or four days ahead there will be details of only a few channels. My understanding has...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 21st 14 09:50 AM
by Mark[_6_] Go to last post
27 28
the old aerials danger by Bill Wright[_2_]
Old aerials that are insecure and are in a place where they might hurt someone if they fell have always been a problem. It's worse than ever now though, because thanks to the high transmission powers post-DTT reception is often unaffected when the aerial is misaligned or even flat on the roof. Here are some pictures of a very old aerial that has been gradually tilting for the last thirty...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 21st 14 02:18 AM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
17 272