Post New Thread
HDMI wierdness by David[_13_]
Last night our Virgin Tivo box suddenly refused to display any programmes on our Sony TV. The lame excuse was that the TV didn't implement DRM to the HDMI specs. Powering the TV off and on didn't fix it, but powering the Tivo off and on seems to have cleared the fault. Now as far as I can remember HDMI implements DRM so that it checks it is talking to a real TV and not just some recorder...
November 10th 14 07:27 AM
by Paul D Smith[_2_] Go to last post
4 180
local TV on satellite by Bill Wright[_2_]
Anyone know the frequencies/polarizations/etc of the UK local TV station(s) that are on satellite? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 8th 14 02:22 PM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
19 283
USENET thirty years ago. by Graham.[_5_]
As a few of us in this newsgroup seem to live in the past, I thought I would post this. Time to dig out your oldest news reader and follow this new communications medium in real time minus 30 years nntp.olduse.net No username or password required. You may as well subscribe to everything, there isn't er wasn't that
November 7th 14 07:15 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
3 160
Delays in local OBs? by Brian Gaff[_2_]
A few days ago both on London Live and one of the main channels local news, they interviewed a person live, well live at the time, from Raynes Park, which is really not very far away, its in greater London. The delay on the replies was almost annoying. Anyone would have thought the person was in Africa or the other side of the world. Do they push this sort of stuff via sat these days...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 7th 14 10:10 AM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
17 309
OT Russell Howard by Mark Carver
On 01/11/2014 15:19, Bill Wright wrote: Maybe Russell's book is more the sort of thing the BBC would be happy to give millions of pounds worth of free publicity to. It just demonstrates how low the BBC has sunk, plugging the immature ramblings of this spoilt, self-centred, little...
1 134
BBC News 'tickertape' by Brian Gaff[_2_]
In the old days of teletext you had two modes ie, leave current page till a certain remote key is hit, or let it roll around. Do they not offer such an option on red button? I cannot access text on tvs any more as the current system, I have been told is not actually textual any more, so cannot just be read. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
November 4th 14 01:06 PM
by Davey Go to last post
5 354
Calibrating a TV by Snacker
Can someone tell me how to calibrate a TV? (and what it means exactly). The TV in question is a Samsung 40" qhd model. Thank you
November 3rd 14 01:20 PM
by Graham.[_5_] Go to last post
8 183
Sky On Demand by Jeff Gaines
I am towards the end of series 2 of The West Wing using Sky On Demand. I am watching in standard rather than HD to reduce the load on my Internet connection. The series are now all out of order and jumbled on the On Demand part of the EPG. The HD episodes are in proper order. I have powered down and re-booted the Sky box but it has made no difference.
November 3rd 14 08:19 AM
by Jeff Gaines Go to last post
2 200
Ye olde TV sound tuners by Bill Wright[_2_]
I seem to remember that some time ago we discussed various devices in use in the 1970s to feed TV audio into the hi-fi system. A visit to my loft this evening (Kate wants to borrow my video tripod) found this device. I had completely forgotten about it, but seeing it I do remember making it and using it with success. It appears to have a dual function as FM aerial selector as well as UHF TV...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 29th 14 11:06 AM
by Davey Go to last post
28 472
Ch5 again by Brian Gaff[_2_]
Yes, on Tuesday, they put out CSI flagged as having audio descri[ption, but it did not have it. What is wrong with these people. They have now been caught out three times in this one series. Obviously nobody actually checking. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
October 28th 14 03:21 PM
by Mick IOW Go to last post
4 210
TX-39as600 by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
Anyone have a Panasonic TX-39as600 TV and care to comment on it? I'm thinking of buying one. No, I don't want a larger screen. Nor to spend much more. This one seems OK on the specs I've seen: Freeview HD tuner. HD display. 3 HDMI, SCART, optical digital out. The 'handbook' seems to be a PDF which I've tried reading but I can't find any photos of the *back* of the set to see where all the...
October 28th 14 12:25 PM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
3 298
Oh the smell. by Brian Gaff
The other day I powered up an old telly of the analogue kind and connected it to an old home computer for a friend. The hot components now covered in dust gave off a very nice smell, well it triggered memories of times gone long ago of hot valves etc, even though these were semiconductors except for the tube of course. Remarkable according to the person watching all worked very well...
October 28th 14 08:20 AM
by Pinnerite[_2_] Go to last post
9 236
Formats like eyesight? by Brian Gaff[_2_]
Many moons ago, when the Earth was young and people who studied art did not just do it to skive off work, there was a weird film, or films made which were not rectangular , ie they were more like vision, with a kind of oval form. I remember seeing one at school. OK it was probably just a gimmick with a gate that was not rectangular or something. However don't you think it odd that we make...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 27th 14 08:29 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
17 394
Tripod, who needs em? by Brian Gaff[_2_]
Apparently there was a bit of a kafuffle in a local park a couple of weeks back when we had that unseasonably hot day, when a budding video recordist used a small helicopter to film things in the park. This did not go down too well with the locals apparently, dogs were leaping trying to catch it and it was buzzing elderly old ladies for a good five minutes. I can forsee a lot mor of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 27th 14 01:18 PM
by Johny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
37 528
Sky News: was I dreamin'? by Bill Wright[_2_]
Written large across the bottom of the screen: BRITISH WITH DRAWAL About half past one in the morning, on the subject of a lava flow, "It moves one mile (or one point two kilometres) each day. it is approaching the houses at two yards (or nine metres) per hour." Bill
October 27th 14 12:27 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
6 182
Sky Digibox clock 27 minutes slow??? by madge
Listening to Gold radio on channel 0121 Sky HD 3D mini box. Hmm -- My Kindle/Mobile links page | All Kindles | http://goo.gl/ySe0d Use these for low bandwidth | All Mobiles | http://KindLink.tk/ A really crap coded website | All Devices | https://sites.google.com/site/themadge/
October 26th 14 02:08 PM
by Mark Carver Go to last post
5 210
BBC Handbook / Yearbook 1928 to 1997 by Jolly Roger[_3_]
On 29/05/2014 21:35, You Know Who wrote: Most years of the BBC Handbook / Yearbook from 1928 to 1997 can be downloaded in pdf format from http://www.americanradiohistory.com/BBC_YEAR_Book_Page_Key.htm And there's a load of them on Ebay - http://goo.gl/cpsbbk along with some interesting looking transmitter maps from the IBA.
October 26th 14 09:36 AM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
2 563
Home coax cabling - more cables or combiners/splitters?! by [email protected]
Hi All, Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! I'm recabling the house... What I'd like in each room is: 2 x satellite - just Freesat at the moment, but with provision for Sky+ 1 x TV - Freeview 1 x radio
October 21st 14 12:57 PM
by Dave B Go to last post
4 202
Gridwatch by christopher_robin
This site may be of interest: http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ Have you any info as to the expected life of your solar panels and inverter unit? And how often do you have to clean the panels to maintain efficiency? We just had free cavity wall insulation injected - a sort of inert fibre called Supafil 40.
October 20th 14 07:48 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
7 317
"Antenna power" on a Humax PVR by Another John
We've recently acquired a Humax HDR-Fox T2 to replace our Wharfedale PVR ]] It seems that when we only want to watch the TV, we still have to have the PVR powered on, to get a signal on anything but BBC1 and 2. This wasn't the case with the older Wharfedale (i.e. it could be "Off", i.e. in stand-by I presume, and we could watch the TV in isolation). Does what I'm saying make sense? I...
October 20th 14 03:26 PM
by Chrisat27 Go to last post
8 739
Post New Thread