Post New Thread
No reflector on new TV antenna by [email protected]
We just had a new antenna installed on the roof and it doesn't seem to have a reflector at the base, just some extra elements instead. Is this normal these days and is it something to do with digital vs analogue TV or just cost cutting? -- Spud
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 19th 17 01:40 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
50 265
Why don't we use.. by Brian Gaff
Rhombic antennas here? At Huff they should be relatively small and have rising gain with rising frequency. I made one once for uhf and it worked very well, though it needed to be terminated by a resistor to make it single directional, and seemed to have a lobe either above or below the horizontal, but then I'm no aerial tech. I did have a Helical one as well but the bloody wildlife broke...
May 18th 17 08:11 PM
by Graham.[_12_] Go to last post
6 110
Talking of worms and viruses... by Ian Field
"Richard Tobin" wrote in message ... In article , Chris Hogg wrote: Can these smart sticks that plug into the back of your TV, such as Amazon Firestick, Roku and Chromecast, get infected by a virus or whatever, and if so, how can they be protected, or if you do...
May 16th 17 06:18 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
0 95
John Deer tractors by Brian-Gaff
I heard an interesting world service item last night. It appears that many us tractor makers are protecting their tractors from home repairers. Most of the farmers have been used to just fixing the darned things but now its all driven by software so its costing them time and money to get main dealers with the software to do the repairs. John Deer is but one of them of course. They want the...
May 15th 17 05:53 PM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
0 88
BBC account by Brian Gaff
I don't think they mention a coloured button in this instance. Who cares about sports. I just want it to actually work for me. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff... Blind user, so no pictures please!
May 14th 17 03:48 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 90
Doctor Who audio by Woody[_5_]
For those that haven't heard about it, the episode of Dr Who that is being broadcast tonight will be in stereo on TV as normal, but if listened to on iPlayer using headphones it is in binaural audio. I heard some of the original 'dummy head' binaural tests that the BBC did maybe 20 years ago and it really does work - I suspect could be frighteningly so with Dr Who!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 13th 17 04:22 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
143 496
Samsung again.. by Brian Gaff
I see iI'm being given a lot of commercials for Samsung TVs recently. All quoting this Q-LED screen. I do wonder several things. We seem to be eternally given new screen types but are they any good. Quantum Dot Led, yerwot? Now myself I care not if the picture even works, as long as the menus speak and the program guide speaks, but why suddenly so many different screens? Or it it all just...
May 11th 17 07:25 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
6 111
The bells by Brian Gaff
When you hear the chimes of Westminster on the news at the start, I presume this is a recording is it. They would need some very good timings otherwise, which begs the question of the recent news that the clock mechanism is going to be serviced along with the clock faces and the rest of the building in stages. so when they take the mechanism out of service, do they have a set of speakers or...
May 11th 17 04:22 PM
by Chris Hogg Go to last post
9 112
I'm still annoyed about this, 45 years later by Scott[_2_]
On Tue, 2 May 2017 09:17:48 +0100, "Brian Gaff" wrote: A definite case of RTFM, the question is, what function did this lock serve? Was it to stop people taking pictures of the inside of their luggage? Brian Well, I'm still annoyed that my mother threw out all the boxes for my train set in 1965.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 11th 17 01:13 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
85 529
Older Samsung TV and kiosk mode by [email protected]
Readers may remember that I was trying to put a combined webpage and picture-in-picture on an older Samsung TV. I discovered that this TV, a C-series, was smart but not smart enough to allow control using the never web based Samsung 'remotes'. I tried controlling in via IR but this was unreliable. Well I've recently discovered that you can control these TVs using a computer serial connection...
May 9th 17 12:33 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 71
get_iplayer 3.00 released by Pete Forman[_2_]
get_iplayer 3.00 for Windows and other systems was released yesterday. The main feature is: Restored functionality broken by the BBC Some features that were deprecated previously have now gone. Caching has been revised, you will need to rebuild. https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release300
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 8th 17 11:48 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
38 39
OT ridiculous dog incident by Bill Wright[_3_]
I put Bella's dinner down on the floor and she came trotting in. Nose down and she started to munch, then suddenly backed of a bit, then a bit more, then she scrabbled across the kitchen in obvious alarm, the bowl following her as if by magic. She jumped onto my chair and sat there looking scared and peering at her dinner bowl, which was still on the floor. Afterwards Hil found a tiny but...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 8th 17 04:32 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
18 163
Adverts click and collect etc by Brian Gaff
Have you noticed that many tv commercials now only give web addresses for info? Also when a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores they need to go on line and then they can pick it up from the store. this seems a strange route to go in on underwear and shoes as these are things people ooften need to see...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 7th 17 07:41 AM
by Ian Jackson[_7_] Go to last post
47 285
BBC Sports Site by PeterC
I have some feeds from the BBC - not the Sports site as such, but there are some articles in other feeds that cover sport. Every headline to the Sports site goes to the basic page, then clicking on any link has either no effect (just refreshes the page) or is 'false' (clicking on Athletics went to Top Gear - that's obscene!). Any idea what's going on? Also, is it possible to get a BBC feed that...
May 3rd 17 02:10 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
5 98
Youview box - can it be used without internet? by Mike Tomlinson[_2_]
Picked up a Huawei model DN360T Youview box new and unused, boxed with all the cables and remote, at a car boot for a quid. I had been hoping to use it as an ordinary Freeview box and to play media from a stick or disk plugged into the USB socket. It won't let me get past the initial setup, demanding a working internet connection before it'll do anything else. Can this...
May 2nd 17 06:45 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
7 149
Aerial riggers I have known. Part One: Jimmy by Bill Wright[_3_]
Aerial riggers I have known Part One: Jimmy It was a long time ago in a strange land called Doncaster. Jimmy had a Beatles haircut and Rolf Harris glasses. His wife had a shop and she used to keep him, really, because his efforts to install aerials can’t have ever made much money. He spent most of his time going back to jobs and trying to get the customer a decent TV picture. He had some...
May 1st 17 08:10 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
6 114
What news of the metadata? by Brian Gaff
My wbie I player app is still telling me 404 nott found or no data available. Have they put up any indication of what they are doing at the Beeb, they must surely realise that disabled users use this data? Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 30th 17 11:36 AM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
15 231
Audio description now harder to get at and complaints forms being stupidly complex by Brian Gaff
I managed to watch Horizon, but I'm assuming they have abandoned AD as nowhere on the page could I see any ref other than a ply link Also went to complaints and got the run around one question per page. After the third page and having to find the field on each I said a rude word and closed the browser. What was wrong with a list of departments a s subject field email address and a field...
April 29th 17 04:07 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 88
Can one still get aerial rotators? by Brian Gaff
Ones that don't cost an arm and a leg and have a knob on the controller so one can tell where its pointed? The old Stolle ones were perfectly adaquate with the bearing, but seem to be no longer made. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 29th 17 05:45 AM
by PLC Go to last post
26 172
Lower frequency usage by Brian Gaff
How is it that we do not use the lower frequencies we used to use for tv, for tv again? Even one multiplex is better than none. OK so the aerials are big, and perhaps propogation is a bit of an issue at times, but much of band 1 seems to be empty now. Perhaps use it for fm instead? I've yet to see any kind of enthusiasm for moving over to dab en masse by fm stations. Brian --
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 28th 17 11:20 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
21 218