Post New Thread
OT Home sweet home... by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
Anyone curious to see the elegant and sophisticated home in which I grew up may be able to catch a glimse in the photos he http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/history/StratfordE15/WesternSt.html Did the page having done a bit of searching for other web info on the area back then. Not having found much, I'll add some more in due time. As we grow older we become more interested in History... because...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 11th 14 01:51 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
21 403
Novel uses for self-amalgamating tape by Graham.[_5_]
Anyone used this useful stuff in unusual ways? I've just used some to bind up a fractured chair-back spindle while the glue set. As Eric Morcombe used to say, "You can't see the join". --
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 11th 14 08:05 AM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
12 254
Derby, centre of prize universe? by Brian Gaff[_2_]
I note with interest that all the various competitions on certain channels, ch5 and the ones run by UK tv, all have the address in Derby. Either there is some special laws in that town that make all these places locate there, or shock horror, this one organisation is the place to outsource daft competitions and draws. I see most now have dropped the questions and admit its a draw. Thank...
October 10th 14 10:10 AM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
1 896
Coaxial cable... by Brian Gaff[_2_]
The dab thread made me think. Back in the 70s, we all used very basic coax, so called low loss, which seemed to be a solid inner, a plastic insulator, and braid on the outside. however nowadays this is deemed not good enough. We all now use really posh foil and braid screened cable. I u just wonder in a normal reasonable signal area, whether this makes a lot of difference though. Has...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 9th 14 02:15 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
23 298
synching feeling by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
Just been having a discussion elsewhere (in a 'technology' email list) which threw up something I'd like to ask about here. Someone has reported that his (Panasonic 2 yr old) HDTV doesn't ensure that its spdif output audio is in synch with its picture. Out of synch by an amount that varies up to a second, although usually much less. And this happens when used with other external HDMI sources as...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 8th 14 01:35 PM
by Johny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
18 182
Cable for DAB aerial (sorry if it's a wee bit OT) by Jim
I plan on buying one of these outside aerials http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-labdabo-s-omni-directional-dab-radio-aerial/23595?_requestid=375662 However i'm a little unsure on what cable/coax would be needed for this, I'm going to try installing the aerial inside first so will only need about 10 feet, but if that fails to work i'll mount it outside and will need about double that. Jim
October 8th 14 12:38 PM
by Johny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
9 234
OT Help with house lights dimmer failing. by David[_9_]
I have a light fitting with 4 x 50 watt 240 volt small halogen reflector lamps they are controlled by a 250 watt dimmer switch as the house is pre 1967 there is no earth in the lighting circuits. When one of the lamps fails the lighting circuit in the consumer unit trips, now the problem is the dimmer switch fails too. Just happened again is there anything I could do to stop the dimmer...
October 7th 14 04:11 PM
by David[_9_] Go to last post
5 209
BBC iPlayer shows now available for 30 days by Java Jive[_2_]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29499002#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa I've got a feeling of deja vu ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26888421 Ah, I see: "will soon" in April, "now" now. -- ========================================================= Please always reply to ng as the email in this post's
October 6th 14 07:34 PM
by tim..... Go to last post
1 113
Motorola car radio by Graham C
In the 1970s I had a Motorola car radio. It would frequently fade out whilst driving. Switching it on / off rapidly would often cure the problem. Sometimes I just had to wait for quite a while. I tried removing it from the car and running it from 10 - 14 volts for hours on end and it was perfect. Mentioned the problem to a knowledgable engineer one day and he said immediately, 'Bet it's a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 3rd 14 07:11 PM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
11 245
My first car radio was a Motorola by Bill Wright[_2_]
My first car radio was a Motorola. It was 7" x 2" by about a foot and a half. It had valves, and took a while to warm up. I bought it from a bloke who sidled up to me when I was fixing an aerial in Toll Bar, which was a very dodgy area near Doncaster. I was parked down the alley behind Prospect Road when this bloke appeared, carrying the radio. I connected it to my van battery and put a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 3rd 14 08:29 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
13 221
HD video frequency response by Dave W
Although I've never seen HD, I'm guessing it suits big screens, but the highest spacial frequency bars on a test card are no finer than SD. Is this true? If so, I see no point in getting a big screen as I would have to sit further away from it to look no worse than my SD set. Ideally I would like to see finer detail on the same screensize I have now, but I suspect it's not possible. -- Dave W
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 2nd 14 09:34 AM
by Davey Go to last post
30 525
Sheffield Live: at the end of the day Brian by Bill Wright[_2_]
Well, it started badly. I think it was a bad mistake to open with the young lady newsreader. She had obviously not been chosen either for her attractiveness or her ability to read aloud. She appeared to be completely unrehearsed, and was very nervous. Interestingly, her next appearance was better, and the next better still. With her learning curve so steep, she must have been at the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 1st 14 09:21 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
13 209
4 od to be replaced by All 4 Hub by Derek F[_4_]
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/1401348/channel-4-ditches-4od-announces-new-all-4-hub?_mout=1&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter Derek
September 29th 14 09:51 PM
by tim..... Go to last post
8 183
Found yesterday: the work of a major installation company by Bill Wright[_2_]
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ml7t7h4dnu8oahx/AAAY-k3m_7lve_zDBIG-2sTNa?dl=0 Bill
September 29th 14 06:51 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
4 194
More retuning in October then.. by Brian Gaff[_2_]
I don't get it these days, the world has fanally gone mad. Surely there are enough itv and other channels to suit all. If they actually could make content instead of buying it in from strange parts of the world it might be handy. Who watches all that stuff on the other itv channels like real housewives of, and judge Judy and all those shows about buying houses etc? I think we need tv for...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 29th 14 02:05 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
20 220
BBC I Player by Brian Gaff
Although they have still not fixed their latest tv I player buttons display in all browsers, the BBC seem to gradually be getting the programmes back on the radi player that fell off when they did that update a few months ago, leaving only the pdcast download way to get the content. I have no idea what the problem was and I've seen no info on it, it just started to have more content in the...
September 29th 14 09:14 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
7 175
More retuning in October then.. by Andy Burns[_9_]
Brian Gaff wrote: So what on earth do the ITV want another channel for? Its something like itvb or some such. Anything that reduces the chance of accidentally seeing TOWIE is a good thing.
September 28th 14 05:07 PM
by Peter Crosland Go to last post
3 91
More retuning in October then.. by Graham Murray
"Brian Gaff" writes: So what on earth do the ITV want another channel for? Its something like itvb or some such. Does this need a re-tune? My freeview EPG is already showing ITVBe on channel 26. This came in with the previous re-tune.
September 28th 14 01:39 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
4 332
best way to stop tingles. by Brian Gaff[_2_]
So on some TVs and other household devices, mainly those with only two core leads, a friend is getting tingles on metal parts. I suspect this is just electrostatic effects due to the currennt fad of "I'm off but really I'm still live" modes on them. Is there any way to stop this? I cannot think of one personally but if you are a bit wary about things electrical I can understand it might be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 28th 14 01:37 PM
by Johny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
37 503
More retuning in October then.. by Peter Duncanson
On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 09:00:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff" wrote: So what on earth do the ITV want another channel for? Its something like itvb or some such. BBrian It's the usual answer, Brian. It is a business enterprise. The new channel is being broadcast in the hope of making a profit. They
September 28th 14 11:54 AM
by Steve Thackery[_2_] Go to last post
8 183
Post New Thread