Post New Thread
Sky box shows guide but not programs by Richard Tobin
An aged relative, hundreds of miles away, has a problem with their Sky receiver. It shows the EPG, but when they select a channel it shows the name of the program (?) but there's no picture or sound. The TV in the bedroom works. Is this problem familiar to anyone? I don't have Sky myself. -- Richard
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 24th 14 11:29 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
14 265
Rosetta by Bill Wright[_2_]
Isn't it just excellent? I'm so pleased it's definitely landed. There are some clever people in this world. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 24th 14 11:13 AM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
39 519
Replace broadcast with Internet TV? by David[_13_]
I don't think so. I have a Virgin Media cable link which tests out at 152Mb/sec download. It can't stream a TV programme from the Virgin website without buffering all the time. YMMV of course, but broadcast is still the best use of bandwidth. Cheers
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 24th 14 12:36 AM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
21 296
Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff by Roderick Stewart[_3_]
I think I've set everything back to GMT, or UTC, or whatever it's called now, and I think I've remembered everything, including the central heating, the digital camera, the bedside radio, the microwave, and of course all the actual clocks, but what a mess. As well as the nuisance of going through this daft rigmarole twice a year, every gadget that needs changing seems to deal with it in a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 23rd 14 12:30 PM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
23 423
Whit noise not so white. by Brian Gaff[_2_]
Have you ever listened to a white noise sound on a digital radio or tv. This is what we get in some Jarre' pieces and other electronic music. On a cd it sounds convincing but on most internet radio, dab or freeview, it sounds more like svsvsvsvsvsv, as if it just does not know what to do with the wide band sound. Such is the compromise made by our naff systems. Bring back the real thing.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 23rd 14 10:06 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
23 334
Any plans to go from DVB-T1 to DVB-T2 by David[_9_]
I've been asked "Is it known when DVB-T1 will be turned off in favour of DVB-T2?" Regards David
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 23rd 14 07:59 AM
by PeterC Go to last post
22 440
Virgin TV Anywhere and Tivo box by David[_13_]
Any Virgin Media customers out there? I have a Tivo box, and it looks as though I can manage it from a phone, tablet or PC. It might be possible (but I haven't managed to work this out yet) to view recordings on a PC (but not on a tablet or phone). You can apparently also view some (but not all) TV shows live.
November 21st 14 02:37 PM
by David[_13_] Go to last post
1 355
HD white goods by Bill Wright[_2_]
There's a washing machine being advertised on TV at the moment as 'high definition'. The new buzz word? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 21st 14 11:49 AM
by David[_13_] Go to last post
10 246
sound of landing on a comet? by Brian Gaff[_2_]
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59609002/01%20touchdown_public.mp3 Or is it a joke? It of course is genuine, but it sounds to me like a stylus being pu on a record and skipping off to the side. Apparently it was the first landing not the bounce, taken through the legs which had a transducer attached. Brian --
November 21st 14 11:16 AM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
0 129
Christmas alert by Brian Gaff[_2_]
A warning to all about a new dab station. Smooth Christmas is already broadcasting all the tracks you have come to expect.. I just don't see the point. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 21st 14 06:34 AM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
12 323
Smallest freesat box with HDMI output? by Stephen[_6_]
Hi, I have put up a 16 inch widescreen freeview TV on the kitchen wall.... I have a freesat satellite out on the wall plate as well as a freeview UHF outlet. Can anyone recommend me the smallest Freesat box with HDMI output so that I can fit it and put it behind the Kitchen TV set? Regards,
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 20th 14 03:02 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
14 1,159
Did Virgin make changes to Recording Menu display? by David[_9_]
Just had a phone call from an older friend he has a Virgin box which record his TV programs Myself I doubt I ever see TV via cable but I will be visiting him before the end of month. He says yesterday Virgin made changes to the menu that is used to set recordings up background colour as changed and print is smaller resulting in the writing being not able to be read. He as spoken to Virgin on...
November 20th 14 07:52 AM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
2 209
Forgive me if this has been covered by Pinnerite[_2_]
since I started to benefit from HD transmissions, I began to wish for more channels. Out of curiosity I did a trawl of the www and came across this: http://www.techradar.com/news/television/4k-tv-broadcasts-are-on-the-way-but-there-are-problems-ahead-1259434#null Given the release of frequencies to mobile networks, what are the chances of either more HD or any 4k. Will it all ever settle...
November 20th 14 04:32 AM
by Andy Burns[_9_] Go to last post
2 247
No Surprises, but: "UK Should Get 'Faster And Cheaper' 4G Data", says Ofcom by Java Jive[_2_]
And guess where the extra spectrum is to come from: "Mobile phone users in the UK can expect their 4G data bills to drop in the future, Ofcom says, following a decision to free up more spectrum. The telecoms regulator has ruled that frequencies currently reserved for digital TV transmissions and wireless microphones should switch over to mobile broadband.
November 19th 14 11:10 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
2 141
Freesat with talking menus? by Brian Gaff[_2_]
I have been asked if such a box exists. According to RNIB it does not. You need to buy one of the up market Panasonic tvs to get talking features, which is a real pain. anyone heard of anything else? I'm getting disillusioned by freesat even with no hd, which I do not need anyhow, but it would be nice to get access to some of the other channels one sees plugged as being on Freesat. It...
November 19th 14 11:07 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
7 271
TV "PVR" capabilities by AnthonyL
What PVR-like facilities are available in the current range of TVs? My ACER TV is a few years old and had* the capability of time shift, and of recording on-demand, but it doesn't have the ability to say "Record every episode of xxx". Have things moved on? * It used to record to a USB stick but no longer does so :( --
November 19th 14 12:32 PM
by Windy Miller[_2_] Go to last post
6 209
Is Youtube morphing into a subscription or PPV service? by Graham.[_5_]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KxkP3iUhAE -- Graham. %Profound_observation%
2 123
Made in Leeds for Bill Wright by David[_9_]
Sky 117 from 24th November Regards David
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 16th 14 08:07 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
45 1,007
Portability of DR mode recordings by Richard Tobin
My Panasonic blu-ray recorder can record TV programs on blu-ray (or copy them from the internal hard disk) in "DR" mode, which seems to be essentially the original broadcast stream. Are these recordings viewable on other blu-ray players? Or does each manufacturer have its own version? And has someone here with a blu-ray drive on their computer looked to see whether they are readable with...
November 15th 14 10:04 PM
by Richard Tobin Go to last post
0 132
EPG & BBC by WhinYett
I have 2 TVs completely different manufacturers. The EPG on both frequently have no information on the 4 BBC channels. Is this normal? What's going on? Frank
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 14th 14 03:48 PM
by Glyn Morgan Go to last post
14 383