Post New Thread
tv coax plugs by Stephen[_4_]
Hello, I know to use f plugs wherever possible but I need a coax plug to connect at the back of the tv. I had a quick look on the CPC web site but they sell aluminium plugs, nickel plated zinc plugs, and plated brass plugs. Are they all the same or is one better than the others? Thanks, Stephen.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 14th 15 04:34 PM
by Davey Go to last post
62 1,781
Question about levels. by Brian-Gaff
I notice on Freeview that the mean levels of stations is widely different on different channels. Radio is consitantly louder than tv as well Many of the mono feeds are painfully loud, such as Insight radio for example. Having reported these things to the right places, one seldom is granted a reply by email, and if there is one all you get is that the levels are entirely inside all relevent...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 14th 15 12:09 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
12 452
Silly question about BBC iPlayer by Bill Wright[_2_]
It was stopping and starting, then it came up with 'Do you want to download the BBC iPlayer App? No more starting and stopping! No more buffering! No more left wing Bias!' (Might have made that last bit up) So I did. I then opened the App and it directed me to iPlayer. I then expected iPlayer to offer the choice of a live playback or the downloading of the programme file for later viewing,...
July 13th 15 08:39 AM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
7 562
Today's BBC subtitles by Davey
Seen on Look East weather forecast a few minutes ago: "Outbreaks of Trainspotting..." Business as usual! -- Davey.
July 12th 15 12:54 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
9 344
Indian call centres by NY
"Martin" wrote in message ... It's odd that the Dutch system for blocking cold callers works almost 100% and the UK system seems to be ineffective. We get less cold calls in a year than my daughter gets in a day. I wonder what we are doing so wrong that the Netherlands is doing so right. Is it that our TPS is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 12th 15 10:54 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
24 820
Dolby Digital sound on BBC. by David[_9_]
When watching BBC HD on rare occasions the program will have Dolby Digital sound I wonder if it is a cost thing, however I've noticed the Tennis has DD. I thought DD was used in movies to improve the experience of the film with stereo, music and effects etc. but tennis broadcast just features a commentary and the surround of the crowd which I would think ordinary TV sound would...
July 7th 15 12:15 PM
by David[_9_] Go to last post
0 201
[OT] Audio on 405/VHF by Paul D Smith[_2_]
I was idly wondering whether modern hardware, which is often very powerful and controlled and configured by software, could be reconfigured to produce a 405/VHF signal when I stumbled across an article which claimed that audio on 405/VHF was amplitude and not frequency modulated. Now I remember using a radio which had a wide FM range, up into band-III, to listen to ITV in ye olde days. Did...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 6th 15 08:28 AM
by Paul D Smith[_2_] Go to last post
59 1,041
Q about coax & heat by Tim+[_2_]
My daughter asked me to run some coax cable for her TV from one room to another crossing under the hall. The only way we could get a cable though was next to the CH pipes. Is this likely to damage the cable in a timescale that either of us is going to care about (like weeks vs decades)? Secondly, I was going to use some brown stuff I had in my garage that has air-spaced cavities within it a...
July 5th 15 11:09 AM
by Jeff Layman[_2_] Go to last post
3 339
Elf and safety at home by Brian-Gaff
It was indeed interesting to note that even side cutters in the old days were made without insulated handles, and as has been said elsewhere, everyone had a neon screwdriver in their top pocket, specially placed to stab you in the chest, or when used, give you false confidence that the power was off. Then there were all those sheds wired up with unboxed choc blocks screwed to the door...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 4th 15 04:52 PM
by Mike[_19_] Go to last post
38 732
DTV modulator by [email protected]
The possibility of a 'modulator' for in-house generation of digital TV channels has been mooted. I think this one is a bit overpriced, regardless of how good it is. And you'd need an awfully big loft to put it in. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-TV-Transmission-System-/291329959938 Owain
July 3rd 15 11:03 AM
by Bob Latham Go to last post
1 264
Hot weather and co-ax cable by Bill Wright[_2_]
When there is a period of abnormally hot weather we normally get calls along these lines: "It's terrible reception during the day, then about ten o'clock at night it clears up, and it's OK until the next dinner time." The coax turns out to have an open circuit inner. The cable will have been loose on a roof (flat or pitched), and probably has been moving a bit each time the wind turns...
July 2nd 15 01:45 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
0 245
648 kHz frequency by Ian Jackson[_2_]
In message , Brian-Gaff writes "Scott" wrote in message . .. I was passing Westerglen transmitting station yesterday. This got me thinking. Radio Scotland has two main AM transmitters (leaving aside relays), Westerglen and Burghead. Both are using...
June 30th 15 12:09 PM
by Ian Jackson[_2_] Go to last post
0 355
DVD Player! by Mr Pounder Esquire
A few years ago I had a stand up battle with Currys over a Samsung DVD player. It had only been used a handful of times before it packed up. It was 5 years old, but I got some money back. I then bought a Samsung Blueray DVD player from them, it has only been used ONCE and is less than 3 years old. It now will not play DVDs. Message was "no disk found" I used two old lens cleaning disks, no...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 29th 15 09:12 PM
by Mr Pounder Esquire Go to last post
25 672
Wimbledon Red Button - Kudos to Virgin by fred
I really dislike Red Button access to events. It is so slow and prevents channel hopping. But I see we have direct access to minor Wimbledon matches on 991, 992, 993, 994, 995. It's a shame SkySports (I'm also a sub) can't do similar when they have multiple related events using the RB.
June 29th 15 01:24 PM
by fred Go to last post
0 263
Can a PVR re-tune itself all on its own? by Roger Mills[_2_]
I've been aware for some months that the tuning setup on my Humax HDR-FOX T2 wasn't up to date - because BBC News was still on 80, and some of the recent additions weren't there at all - but it worked perfectly happily as far as I was concerned, so I didn't do anything about it. However, when I came to view BBC News last night, 80 was blank and I found that it had moved to 130 (and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 28th 15 09:12 PM
by Davey Go to last post
37 1,153
Channel 4 On Demand by Indy Jess John
Just wondering - is there an equivalent to get_iplayer for Channel4 programmes? I couldn't see anything on a google search. Jim
June 27th 15 11:36 AM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
6 2,508
BBC multiplexes off? by Richard Tobin
The BBCA and COM7 multiplexes from Black Hill seem to be off the air. Are there problems elsewhere? BBCB is ok. -- Richard
June 26th 15 02:21 PM
by Richard Tobin Go to last post
2 403
BT sport in 4K by Andy Burns[_9_]
From August, but only streamed to VDSL customers ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33062026
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 26th 15 12:34 PM
by Mark Carver Go to last post
33 1,352
Dim neons by Brian-Gaff
You have not lived! We used to get those big neon's that school labs used and connect one end to a bit of wire. If you connected that to some suitable voltage, you could make the neon glow simply by putting a finger on the glass. Touch the other end of the bulb and it was quite bright. Its yer electrostatic stuff again I bet. Talking of dim neon's though. There was as I think I said a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 26th 15 11:24 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
12 518
Mad aerial question by Scott[_2_]
All aerials are grey aluminium colour. I wondered if it would be possible to paint an aerial blue, and whether this would degrade the signal. Would you use water based or oil based paint? TIA
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 25th 15 08:34 AM
by charles Go to last post
13 445