Post New Thread
Playing files on 'smart' TV by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
Those reading the linux newsgroup I frequent will know I've been experimenting with media files on my new HDTV. Just got some results that may act as a warning to others... I've been reading my (home recorded) DVDs and generating either .ts or .mkv files from them. In general the TV will 'play' these... in the sense that I see the video and hear the sound. But the sound has added 'clicks' and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 2nd 15 02:05 PM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
17 300
Bloody I player again by Brian Gaff[_2_]
I've been trying to watch Hidden Killers of the Tudor Age tonight. all fine for about half the program, then persistent buffering and messing about then it stopped completely with this error Error code : 1032 Severity : critical Description : No further playback is possible as there is no valid media Responsibility : Application I think that is just about the most useless error I've come...
February 1st 15 02:52 PM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
1 174
Freesat and DVB-S adaptor for PC by NY
The Freesat site http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/recommended/freesat-plus-with-freetime refers to various Freesat-approved PVRs made by Humax. Is it possible instead to use a DVB-S PCI card or USB adaptor and Windows Media Centre to access the same channels, assuming that there is a suitable dish with one or more LNBs and cables? Can a Sky-installed dish (currently connected to a Sky...
January 28th 15 05:51 PM
by David[_13_] Go to last post
4 357
Slip-sync by Pinnerite[_2_]
There is an old James Mason film on Movies4Men right now. The audio is about a sentence behind the video. Probably more entertaining than if it was in sync. :)} -- Mageia 4 for x86_64, Kernel:3.14.27-desktop-1.mga4 KDE version 4.11.4 on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
January 28th 15 10:06 AM
by David[_9_] Go to last post
1 161
No Freeview reception from Rosneath with masthead amp after 4G by 2pods[_3_]
As our Freeview reception (Roseneath)can often be interrupted by pixelisation, etc we normally use our Freesat box. However, we received a 4G filter in the post a while ago, I thought I had better check, to find we were getting no Freeview reception at all. I don't know if this happened when 4G started to become available here. I knew said filter would be useless to us as we have a masthead...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 27th 15 04:36 PM
by Graham.[_5_] Go to last post
22 474
Smart TV not so smart by Gary[_4_]
Back in about 2010 I bought a Samsung 3-D Smart TV. In the smart section there was promises of new apps to arrive in time. Occasionally I check back to see which new ones have arrived. Now to my dismay, instead of new ones arriving ones that are there are being uninstalled. It's as if the TV is suffering dementia, luckily I didn't actually buy the TV for a smart features, but it would have...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 27th 15 01:56 PM
by Jon[_2_] Go to last post
11 293
Question slightly off topic : by Phi
I have a disabled neighbour who has a BT 'option one' internet connection that limits his download quota to 10GB/month. He has been receiving reminders for the last few months from BT that his his limit will soon be reached for that particular month. All he does, other than send a few emails and browse the network is listen to the radio (all day), so my question is, would this radio...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 27th 15 12:16 PM
by Geoff Pearson Go to last post
10 295
Changes to iPlayer radio by Scott[_2_]
I understand the BBC is changing the radio iPlayer at the end of the month, with the result that some devices will not longer be supported. It seems this will be more of a problem for podcasts than for live streaming. I'm assuming an up-to-date iPad will still be supported but I'm not so sure about my Roberts Stream 83i internet radio. Does anyone know exactly what is going on here?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 27th 15 07:22 AM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
31 891
Interconnect cable - audio or digital? by David[_13_]
Digging cables out of long term storage I have come across one which is branded "Profigold interconnect cable". It has what look like RCA/Coax connectors at each end It isn't marked with a colour (e.g. red or black) which suggests it may no be an analogue audio interconnect. I am thinking it is a coax cable for connecting a digital source to the digital input on an AV amp (i.e. using the...
January 26th 15 04:34 PM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
2 205
internment by Vir Campestris
On 20/01/2015 12:00, Roderick Stewart wrote: Statistical methods have failed to crack the Dorabella code in 66 years, so it is evidently possible for an encoded message not to have a statistical weakness. I'd never heard of the Dorabella code, and I do have a professional interest in cryptography (for commercial reasons, as MI5 will immediately be able to track down) so I looked it up.
January 26th 15 08:58 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
3 244
last night on ch31. by Brian Gaff[_2_]
IE five usa. In the middle of the old csi, strangely without audio description in this case. After a promo, about five minutes of complete silence then the next part of csi came on as if nothing had happened. I guess this proves noobody is actually there when they are showing stuff in the evenings then. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 25th 15 07:22 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
24 409
HDMi lead Version 1.4 vs. 2.0 by David[_9_]
Wanting to buy a couple of HDMi leads for an upgrade following upgrade of TV which is UHD/4K and 3D. As we all known buying HDMi leads is difficult already with the v1.3 ones on length, quality and prices. Price not being a guide at all to quality. I see some as being version 1.4 quoted as being for 4K and 3D Others as being 2.0 and also for 4K and 3D. ( These look to be flat cable and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 25th 15 05:16 PM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
35 456
One For The Oldies: Remodelled ZX Spectrum Production Set ToBegin by Vir Campestris
On 20/01/2015 17:00, Indy Jess John wrote: No. The RETurn has a single point of transfer when executed. The idea of the COME FROM was that it was expected to be reached from more than one concurrent path. I wouldn't put it like that. The point of return is that it has many targets; but they are not decided there. Never used comefrom. And I'm sure I've met micros with no ret - just a...
January 25th 15 12:23 PM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
1 137
The effects of snow on TV reception by Bill Wright[_2_]
Tonight in S Yorkshire we have fairly heavy snow. It's been snowing for hours and looks set to continue. The ground temperature is below zero, and there is very little wind. On the ground the snow is setting, deep and crisp and even. There are no drifts, quite unlike the last time we had snow, over Christmas. Because there is no wind and nothing to melt the snow it is piling up most prettily...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 24th 15 09:56 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
49 738
Sky threatening debt collectors by sintv[_2_]
I decided to cancel Sky. I tried to phone them but got fed up being kept on hold so I cancelled the D/D at the bank. I was then cut off, as expected, 1 month later. Sky are now calling in the debt collectors for the 27 as I didnt give them 1 months notice. What do you think..should I pay or not. I have had letters and phone calls from different agencies and I have pointed out that I dont owe Sky...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 24th 15 07:31 PM
by sintv[_2_] Go to last post
16 381
Subtitles on Graham Norton tonight by Davey
Weird behaviour: On a recorded programme, several times the subtitles got stuck in an infinite loop, repeating about 4 or 5 lines several times. There is no excuse at all for this. Complaint pending. -- Davey.
January 24th 15 12:14 PM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
9 182
SD picture width - 704 versus 720 pixels by NY
I've noticed that older recordings that I've made from SD BBC channels are 720x576 pixels and current ones are 704x576. The same programme recorded in Jan 2014 was 720 and today's recording of it was 704 (I re-recorded it because last year's recording was a late-night version with signing for the deaf). Is there any reason for the change? It seems that the older recordings consist of 704...
January 23rd 15 06:22 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
6 377
I'm soooo annoyed by Bill Wright[_2_]
My Vann Draper soldering iron stopped working. I found that the multicore cable that connects the base to the actual business thingy was intermittent. Of course the break was near strain relief thing on the five pin DIN plug. I painstakingly identified each of the six hairlike conductors and fitted a new plug. This took a whole episode of Doctors. When I pulled the metal body onto the pin...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 22nd 15 06:18 AM
by Bob Latham Go to last post
25 310
Live and let die. by Ian Field
Anyone ever manage to read the legend on the sides of the double-decker bus?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 21st 15 06:30 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
18 301
Samsung SSG-5100GB Active 3D TV Glasses by David[_9_]
Anyone into 3D glasses? 2 pairs came with TV set but think it best to have some more just in case we have friends round. First do they have to be same Samsung part number as I see several other Samsung part numbers on Ebay? Looking at my part number I'm surprised to see people bid and win at more than the £12 they are at Currys/PCWorld.
January 21st 15 12:55 PM
by David[_9_] Go to last post
5 223
Post New Thread