Post New Thread
Advice requested: TV signal strength meter by Eddie King[_2_]
Hi all, could you please recommend a "budget" priced and reasonably accurate TV signal strenth meter for aligning aerials for terrestrial TV. All comments gratefully received. Many thanks Eddie King
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 13th 17 05:46 AM
by Eddie King[_2_] Go to last post
14 93
10s delay on Gt. North Run by [email protected]
Just curious why the Great North Run, BBC1 is not in real time at the moment. Delayed by 10s according to its digital clock at the starting point relative to my small collection of radio controlled clocks at home. I think this is a bit too much to be accounted for by digital coding delays etc.
September 12th 17 05:35 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
5 65
They are doing it again by Brian Gaff
Does anyone else find this removal of words in various news items with just silence a bit annoying. its like one of those quizzes where you have to guess the missing word, in this case it was mostly **** and the f word I imagine but really, what is the point? There comes a time when a piece should be deemed simply unusable as the meaning is completely lost. it seems quite common on early...
September 12th 17 11:50 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
4 65
What a tangled web we are weaving by Yellow[_3_]
A Christian couple are reportedly threatening to sue a Church of England primary school because it allowed a boy in their son's class to wear a dress. The family withdrew the six-year-old from the school and will now educate him at home, alongside his eight-year-old brother, who was taken out of school a year ago after a boy in his class also began to wear dresses. The boys' parents, Nigel...
September 11th 17 11:04 PM
by johnt Go to last post
8 58
BT Call Protect by Scott[_2_]
Much as I enjoy winding up nuisance callers, I am now considering returning my phone service to BT so I can sign up for Call Protect. Any comments please on how effective this is? I just want to use the BT and personal blacklists (as I cannot block international calls and I am reluctant to block withheld numbers). I am interested to know how much the 'usual suspects' are successfully disrupted.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 11th 17 05:12 PM
by Scott[_2_] Go to last post
21 169
Signing by Andy Burns[_12_]
I'm aware that British and American sign languages are different, but in some of the press conferences from Florida urging people to evacuate the signing looks more like the All Blacks doing the Haka Someone trying to out-do Nelson Mandela's fake interpreter?
September 10th 17 10:33 AM
by Norman Wells[_6_] Go to last post
4 113
Which Smart Box to use with Dumb TV? by Chris Holmes
Hi, As nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to whether a BT Youview box will work in the absence of an aerial connection...... What smartening thingies could be plugged into HDMI on a Dumb TV to enable access to (via broadband); BBC/ITV (either real time, or catch up) Netflix
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 9th 17 02:41 AM
by Yellow[_3_] Go to last post
18 128
Samsung TV's "bricked" by MR
https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/24/samsung-firmware-bricking-uk-tvs/ Oh well, they'd make a good fire guard or art installation. MR
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 4th 17 06:51 PM
by Chris Green Go to last post
143 348
Use a BT Youview box without an aerial? by Chris Holmes
Hi All, My daughter is moving into social housing, and the flat has neither an aerial or satellite (it's the spell checker nearly put satanic) connection. Does anyone know if it is possible to use a BT Youview box (on a non BT broadband connection). just for the catch up services without having an aerial connected?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 4th 17 11:18 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
11 148
Weatherproof 4-way splitter by Richard Tobin
Can anyone recommend a 4-way splitter with a robust weatherproof case? It's to replace a Labgear 4-way masthead amplifier which stopped working and the case turned out to have broken. (I don't think I need the amplification now.) -- Richard
September 1st 17 02:39 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
8 76
HDMI cable by Mark[_6_]
I need a new HDMI cable for my PS4 as the old one no longer works. Is there much difference between cables on the market as there seems to be loads at different prices?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 30th 17 08:11 AM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
27 81
Query: Reception on Cambs. - Norfolk Border by Eddie King[_2_]
Friends, a relative will shortly be moving to the PE14 area, just on the Norfolk side of the border. I note the location is about equal distance (60km as the crow flies) from Sandy Heath and Tacolneston. Can anyone confirm which TX best serves the area in question and give any advice on the signal strengths to be expected.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 29th 17 08:10 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
44 173
Cold reboot needed for TV by Jeff Layman[_2_]
Yesterday, as on many previous occasions, I got a YouTube video on my Panasonic TX-55CX680B "Smart" TV for my grandson. As the advert at the start came to an end, the screen froze, then went blank. I could not get back to the video or even to the TV channels. The only buttons on the remote which the TV responded to were the eHelp and Power on/off (into standby). Leaving it in standby for a...
August 26th 17 04:34 PM
by Davey Go to last post
8 80
Scambled? by Davey
We sat down last night to watch the episode of Inspector Montalbano recorded on Saturday evening on BBC4, but instead all we have is 1hr 58 mins. of a screen message saying that the channel was either scrambled or not available. I don't think I was doing any other recordings that could have overlapped with that one. It tried, and got the timing right, it just didn't record the programme. I see...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 26th 17 04:39 AM
by Yellow[_3_] Go to last post
11 100
Watching an eclipse by Scott[_2_]
I have just seen coverage on Channel 4 News of the eclipse, where people were watching using special sunglasses. I though no sunglasses were safe for looking directly at the sun?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 24th 17 12:44 PM
by AnthonyL Go to last post
37 166
Well network failure at bbc last night by Brian Gaff
About midnight all the local stations went off or changed to some arbitrary other sevice. They had a sort of service running by 1am but it was still intermittent. So much for sticking all your eggs in one basket. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
August 24th 17 07:56 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 61
Screwfix cable sale by Woody[_5_]
If anyone is interested Screwfix currently have a cable clearance sale on with such as PF100 (25m, 50m, 100m, and 250m in black) at around 40% off. They are also doing white versions - all Labgear branded - even cheaper, and if you must have it RG6 is also reduced. -- Woody
August 22nd 17 04:00 PM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
0 68
My 5. by Brian Gaff
You know when this channel turned up I thought as I could only hear the name, that MI5 had their own channel, but instead its boredom central, ie all the crap that nobody wanted to see on ch 5 repeated indefinitely. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
August 21st 17 09:31 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
2 63
Big Ben's Bongs are going to be missing for 4 years by Ian Jackson[_7_]
Big Ben's Bongs are going to be missing for 4 years. They have been off before, but only for relatively short periods. But 4 years! What will we do? Why not use a loud loudspeaker system (located nearby) to play recordings? -- Ian
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 20th 17 11:19 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
68 239
OK time to do another freeview re tune by Brian Gaff
At least according to the apologetic likkle messate my set top box told me over the wweekend. Lets see what happens this time. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff... Blind user, so no pictures please!
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 20th 17 06:44 PM
by Peter Crosland Go to last post
17 99