Post New Thread
Question slightly off topic : by Phi
I have a disabled neighbour who has a BT 'option one' internet connection that limits his download quota to 10GB/month. He has been receiving reminders for the last few months from BT that his his limit will soon be reached for that particular month. All he does, other than send a few emails and browse the network is listen to the radio (all day), so my question is, would this radio...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 27th 15 01:16 PM
by Geoff Pearson Go to last post
10 286
Changes to iPlayer radio by Scott[_2_]
I understand the BBC is changing the radio iPlayer at the end of the month, with the result that some devices will not longer be supported. It seems this will be more of a problem for podcasts than for live streaming. I'm assuming an up-to-date iPad will still be supported but I'm not so sure about my Roberts Stream 83i internet radio. Does anyone know exactly what is going on here?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 27th 15 08:22 AM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
31 869
Interconnect cable - audio or digital? by David[_13_]
Digging cables out of long term storage I have come across one which is branded "Profigold interconnect cable". It has what look like RCA/Coax connectors at each end It isn't marked with a colour (e.g. red or black) which suggests it may no be an analogue audio interconnect. I am thinking it is a coax cable for connecting a digital source to the digital input on an AV amp (i.e. using the...
January 26th 15 05:34 PM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
2 201
internment by Vir Campestris
On 20/01/2015 12:00, Roderick Stewart wrote: Statistical methods have failed to crack the Dorabella code in 66 years, so it is evidently possible for an encoded message not to have a statistical weakness. I'd never heard of the Dorabella code, and I do have a professional interest in cryptography (for commercial reasons, as MI5 will immediately be able to track down) so I looked it up.
January 26th 15 09:58 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
3 242
last night on ch31. by Brian Gaff[_2_]
IE five usa. In the middle of the old csi, strangely without audio description in this case. After a promo, about five minutes of complete silence then the next part of csi came on as if nothing had happened. I guess this proves noobody is actually there when they are showing stuff in the evenings then. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 25th 15 08:22 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
24 397
HDMi lead Version 1.4 vs. 2.0 by David[_9_]
Wanting to buy a couple of HDMi leads for an upgrade following upgrade of TV which is UHD/4K and 3D. As we all known buying HDMi leads is difficult already with the v1.3 ones on length, quality and prices. Price not being a guide at all to quality. I see some as being version 1.4 quoted as being for 4K and 3D Others as being 2.0 and also for 4K and 3D. ( These look to be flat cable and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 25th 15 06:16 PM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
35 441
One For The Oldies: Remodelled ZX Spectrum Production Set ToBegin by Vir Campestris
On 20/01/2015 17:00, Indy Jess John wrote: No. The RETurn has a single point of transfer when executed. The idea of the COME FROM was that it was expected to be reached from more than one concurrent path. I wouldn't put it like that. The point of return is that it has many targets; but they are not decided there. Never used comefrom. And I'm sure I've met micros with no ret - just a...
January 25th 15 01:23 PM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
1 136
The effects of snow on TV reception by Bill Wright[_2_]
Tonight in S Yorkshire we have fairly heavy snow. It's been snowing for hours and looks set to continue. The ground temperature is below zero, and there is very little wind. On the ground the snow is setting, deep and crisp and even. There are no drifts, quite unlike the last time we had snow, over Christmas. Because there is no wind and nothing to melt the snow it is piling up most prettily...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 24th 15 10:56 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
49 721
Sky threatening debt collectors by sintv[_2_]
I decided to cancel Sky. I tried to phone them but got fed up being kept on hold so I cancelled the D/D at the bank. I was then cut off, as expected, 1 month later. Sky are now calling in the debt collectors for the 27 as I didnt give them 1 months notice. What do you think..should I pay or not. I have had letters and phone calls from different agencies and I have pointed out that I dont owe Sky...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 24th 15 08:31 PM
by sintv[_2_] Go to last post
16 372
Subtitles on Graham Norton tonight by Davey
Weird behaviour: On a recorded programme, several times the subtitles got stuck in an infinite loop, repeating about 4 or 5 lines several times. There is no excuse at all for this. Complaint pending. -- Davey.
January 24th 15 01:14 PM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
9 178
SD picture width - 704 versus 720 pixels by NY
I've noticed that older recordings that I've made from SD BBC channels are 720x576 pixels and current ones are 704x576. The same programme recorded in Jan 2014 was 720 and today's recording of it was 704 (I re-recorded it because last year's recording was a late-night version with signing for the deaf). Is there any reason for the change? It seems that the older recordings consist of 704...
January 23rd 15 07:22 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
6 369
I'm soooo annoyed by Bill Wright[_2_]
My Vann Draper soldering iron stopped working. I found that the multicore cable that connects the base to the actual business thingy was intermittent. Of course the break was near strain relief thing on the five pin DIN plug. I painstakingly identified each of the six hairlike conductors and fitted a new plug. This took a whole episode of Doctors. When I pulled the metal body onto the pin...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 22nd 15 07:18 AM
by Bob Latham Go to last post
25 302
Live and let die. by Ian Field
Anyone ever manage to read the legend on the sides of the double-decker bus?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 21st 15 07:30 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
18 293
Samsung SSG-5100GB Active 3D TV Glasses by David[_9_]
Anyone into 3D glasses? 2 pairs came with TV set but think it best to have some more just in case we have friends round. First do they have to be same Samsung part number as I see several other Samsung part numbers on Ebay? Looking at my part number I'm surprised to see people bid and win at more than the £12 they are at Currys/PCWorld.
January 21st 15 01:55 PM
by David[_9_] Go to last post
5 218
BBC 1+1 and BBC 3 by Mark Carver
Well, it seems the demise of BBC 3 as a broadcast channel, will not mean that BBC 1+1 *HD* will appear in its place on PSB3. Instead the proposal is to only launch BBC 1+1 as an SD service on PSB 3, which of course means only T2 receivers will be able to receive it. That might drive T2 sales (COM 7 doesn't seem to have done ?) BBC 3's HD bandwidth on PSB 3 looks to be taken by extending CBBC...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 21st 15 01:51 PM
by Scott[_2_] Go to last post
13 307
little places by Brian Gaff[_2_]
In a way is this not a bit like the shed? One goes there to escape real life for hours at a time. I used to like crawling into the middle of a roll of netting or carpet when I was small. Unfortunately this lost its appeal when some kind person saw me and rolled me around the garden till I was sick. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active "Bill Wright"...
January 21st 15 01:32 PM
by Graham.[_5_] Go to last post
1 177
BBC iPlayer question by Scott[_2_]
I tried to watch Reporting Scotland on the iPad this evening. All I could get was London Tonight. I changed the location to Scotland. The channel guide/schedules show BBC One Scotland. The box says Reporting Scotland yet when I clicked it I still got London Tonight. Any ideas what is going on here? PS I live in Scotland. Is it because we voted No in the Referendum?
January 21st 15 12:55 PM
by Brian Gaff[_2_] Go to last post
1 142
Live coverage of NASA Dragon launch in soon by Davey
On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 12:29:01 +0000 Andy Burns wrote: Martin wrote: Davey wrote: Did the launch vehicle get back to the landing platform? They didn't mention whether it did or not.
January 20th 15 08:36 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
9 143
Mounting flat screen TV on wall and discreet cabling by David[_13_]
X-post I'm re-mounting the 42" Panasonic plasma on the wall above the fireplace. All the important cable entries are to the back of the TV and so a right sod to get at when the TV is on the wall because of the limited room between TV and wall. Between 75mm and 90mm depending on which connection so just enough for a stiff cable to bend, but not a lot extra to line it up and fit it.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 20th 15 05:44 PM
by Rod Speed Go to last post
53 686
Car radios: a personal history by Bill Wright[_2_]
My first car radio was a Radiomobile. It was 7" x 2" by about a foot and a half. It had valves, and took a while to warm up. I bought it from a bloke who sidled up to me when I was fixing an aerial in Toll Bar, which was a very dodgy area near Doncaster. I was parked down the alley behind Prospect Road when this bloke appeared, carrying the radio. I connected it to my van battery and put a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 17th 15 07:22 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
19 279