Post New Thread
Things on my mind (2) by Bill Wright[_2_]
I was loitering in the beer section of Morrisons and there was an attractive woman in her thirties picking up bottles, peering at them, and putting a few in her trolley. Like all old men I will do anything to engage in conversation with passable ladies half my age, so I asked, "Having trouble choosing?" "Yes I am!" she replied. "It's for his birthday. But they've got to be on special offer...
July 16th 15 07:17 PM
by ARW Go to last post
7 225
IR LED effects by Davey
I have a couple of cameras set up, they have inbuilt IR LEDs, as is common. When I look at the image on the monitor, using Zoneminder on my PC, I see a constant flashing as though the IR LEDs are pulsing. It also creates a problem with triggering a Motion Detection Event, so I have to program around this. On the screen, the pulsing appears to be just faster than 1 Hz, but I appreciate this may be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 16th 15 09:24 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
18 299
Night-Flying Insects Don't Like Classical Music? by Java Jive[_2_]
I'm just watching the Vienna Philharmonic's Summer Night's Concert, and have just noticed the remarkable absence of night-flying insects - not a moth, mosquito, or midge in sight. I wonder if they have been soaking the place in insecticide for the previous week or two? -- ======================================================== Please always reply to ng as the email in this post's header does...
5 335
Things on my mind (3) by Bill Wright[_2_]
His wife has a guest who she quite likes but he cannot stand. It being lunchtime he is sent into the kitchen to prepare a snack for his wife and the guest: eggs on toast. From the kitchen he can hear the guest pontificating about the virtues of free range chickens, the moral duty of us all not to waste food, the joys of home bread making, and so on and so forth. As our man conveys the second...
8 243
iPlayer on Panasonic TV not working today by Clive Page[_4_]
We have a Panasonic Veira TV about 4 years old, which has been happily showing us past BBC programmes via its built-in iPlayer software and an Ethernet cable to our broadband router. It also needs a satellite connection (for some reason I've never understood) but that still works fine on other channels. Today when I connect to Freesat channel 901 I don't get the usual iPlayer home page but...
July 15th 15 01:30 PM
by Clive Page[_4_] Go to last post
5 466
Things on my mind (1) by Bill Wright[_2_]
Whilst having the bonfire that I have to have because the council won't take all our rubbish I chanced upon a small directory, one of those that comes free. Of course I looked at the 'Aerials' section. I have in-depth knowledge of all the local aerial firms, and I can tell you that every single one of those with display adverts should, in my opinion, be avoided by the consumer. The larger...
July 15th 15 12:15 AM
by Brian Reay[_4_] Go to last post
3 280
Charging for iPlayer by Pinnerite[_2_]
This proposal raises some interesting points. This is my take on the issue. If one pays for one's licence, should one be asked to pay? If not, how would the system know? Answer, a bureaucratic expense. If one pays but is abroad should one pay? In my opinion, if it is handled, for example like iTunes, a sort of 99p per programme approach, the answer is yes.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 14th 15 05:35 PM
by Yellow[_2_] Go to last post
83 1,078
tv coax plugs by Stephen[_4_]
Hello, I know to use f plugs wherever possible but I need a coax plug to connect at the back of the tv. I had a quick look on the CPC web site but they sell aluminium plugs, nickel plated zinc plugs, and plated brass plugs. Are they all the same or is one better than the others? Thanks, Stephen.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 14th 15 03:34 PM
by Davey Go to last post
62 1,317
Question about levels. by Brian-Gaff
I notice on Freeview that the mean levels of stations is widely different on different channels. Radio is consitantly louder than tv as well Many of the mono feeds are painfully loud, such as Insight radio for example. Having reported these things to the right places, one seldom is granted a reply by email, and if there is one all you get is that the levels are entirely inside all relevent...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 14th 15 11:09 AM
by tony sayer Go to last post
12 397
Silly question about BBC iPlayer by Bill Wright[_2_]
It was stopping and starting, then it came up with 'Do you want to download the BBC iPlayer App? No more starting and stopping! No more buffering! No more left wing Bias!' (Might have made that last bit up) So I did. I then opened the App and it directed me to iPlayer. I then expected iPlayer to offer the choice of a live playback or the downloading of the programme file for later viewing,...
July 13th 15 07:39 AM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
7 429
Today's BBC subtitles by Davey
Seen on Look East weather forecast a few minutes ago: "Outbreaks of Trainspotting..." Business as usual! -- Davey.
9 283
Indian call centres by NY
"Martin" wrote in message ... It's odd that the Dutch system for blocking cold callers works almost 100% and the UK system seems to be ineffective. We get less cold calls in a year than my daughter gets in a day. I wonder what we are doing so wrong that the Netherlands is doing so right. Is it that our TPS is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 12th 15 09:54 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
24 719
Dolby Digital sound on BBC. by David[_9_]
When watching BBC HD on rare occasions the program will have Dolby Digital sound I wonder if it is a cost thing, however I've noticed the Tennis has DD. I thought DD was used in movies to improve the experience of the film with stereo, music and effects etc. but tennis broadcast just features a commentary and the surround of the crowd which I would think ordinary TV sound would...
July 7th 15 11:15 AM
by David[_9_] Go to last post
0 172
[OT] Audio on 405/VHF by Paul D Smith[_2_]
I was idly wondering whether modern hardware, which is often very powerful and controlled and configured by software, could be reconfigured to produce a 405/VHF signal when I stumbled across an article which claimed that audio on 405/VHF was amplitude and not frequency modulated. Now I remember using a radio which had a wide FM range, up into band-III, to listen to ITV in ye olde days. Did...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 6th 15 07:28 AM
by Paul D Smith[_2_] Go to last post
59 870
Q about coax & heat by Tim+[_2_]
My daughter asked me to run some coax cable for her TV from one room to another crossing under the hall. The only way we could get a cable though was next to the CH pipes. Is this likely to damage the cable in a timescale that either of us is going to care about (like weeks vs decades)? Secondly, I was going to use some brown stuff I had in my garage that has air-spaced cavities within it a...
July 5th 15 10:09 AM
by Jeff Layman[_2_] Go to last post
3 301
Elf and safety at home by Brian-Gaff
It was indeed interesting to note that even side cutters in the old days were made without insulated handles, and as has been said elsewhere, everyone had a neon screwdriver in their top pocket, specially placed to stab you in the chest, or when used, give you false confidence that the power was off. Then there were all those sheds wired up with unboxed choc blocks screwed to the door...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 4th 15 03:52 PM
by Mike[_19_] Go to last post
38 561
DTV modulator by [email protected]
The possibility of a 'modulator' for in-house generation of digital TV channels has been mooted. I think this one is a bit overpriced, regardless of how good it is. And you'd need an awfully big loft to put it in. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-TV-Transmission-System-/291329959938 Owain
July 3rd 15 10:03 AM
by Bob Latham Go to last post
1 226
Hot weather and co-ax cable by Bill Wright[_2_]
When there is a period of abnormally hot weather we normally get calls along these lines: "It's terrible reception during the day, then about ten o'clock at night it clears up, and it's OK until the next dinner time." The coax turns out to have an open circuit inner. The cable will have been loose on a roof (flat or pitched), and probably has been moving a bit each time the wind turns...
July 2nd 15 12:45 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
0 211
648 kHz frequency by Ian Jackson[_2_]
In message , Brian-Gaff writes "Scott" wrote in message . .. I was passing Westerglen transmitting station yesterday. This got me thinking. Radio Scotland has two main AM transmitters (leaving aside relays), Westerglen and Burghead. Both are using...
June 30th 15 11:09 AM
by Ian Jackson[_2_] Go to last post
0 223
DVD Player! by Mr Pounder Esquire
A few years ago I had a stand up battle with Currys over a Samsung DVD player. It had only been used a handful of times before it packed up. It was 5 years old, but I got some money back. I then bought a Samsung Blueray DVD player from them, it has only been used ONCE and is less than 3 years old. It now will not play DVDs. Message was "no disk found" I used two old lens cleaning disks, no...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 29th 15 08:12 PM
by Mr Pounder Esquire Go to last post
25 576