Post New Thread
Do birds have vandalizing thoughts? by Brian-Gaff
I was asked this the other day as it appears a month or so back a bloke was watching out of his window and saw two blackbirds on one element of a fairly old tv aerial, from the description, the top row of a reflector. They were bouncing up and down and gradually loosening the element, when they flew off he said he saw the element was definitely loose and wobbling in the breeze. Could...
June 2nd 15 08:28 AM
by Ian Jackson[_2_] Go to last post
7 287
TV speakers by Brian-Gaff
Is there a reason why companies could not use the well learned lessons on how to make speakers in small boxes sound reasonable be applied to tv speakers? Listening in a store a while back I was struck by the cheap transistor radio sounds coming from them. I mean, its not rocket science is it? Brian --
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 1st 15 07:41 PM
by Bill Wright[_2_] Go to last post
25 390
Sign language vs subtitles by Clive Page[_4_]
I recorded a programme on BBC4 recently and realised that the late-night repeats come with a sign-language interpreter in front (while the ones earlier in the evening do not). This meant the actual programme was reduced to about three quarters of the screen with a somewhat distracting presence on the right-hand side. Although my hearing is good enough, I appreciate that those with hearing...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 31st 15 09:06 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
43 632
EUROPE WILL ABOLISH GEO-BLOCKING AND OTHER COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS by Phi
The European Commission adopted a new Digital Single Market Strategy today, which aims to improve consumer access to digital services and goods. Among other things, Europe vows to end geo-blocking and lift other unwarranted copyright restrictions. Due to complicated licensing agreements Netflix is only available in a few dozen countries, all of which have a different content library. The...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 31st 15 06:11 PM
by Mike[_21_] Go to last post
123 1,901
computer slow by Johnny B Good[_2_]
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 18:15:46 +0100, Woody wrote: ====snip==== If none of those help then a re-install will as the pagefile will be replaced amongst other things. Mine - on XP SP3 - is well over 2GB and Windoze has to keep searching it. On a new install it will start a a few MB before it grows.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 30th 15 01:00 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
55 568
Humax 9200 and Windows 8 by Victor Delta[_2_]
Has anyone managed to download files from a Humax 9200 to a pc running on Windows 8? I tried to connect my Humax to a new laptop today but Windows 8 would not recognise the driver supplied with Andy Chappell's Media Controller. Nor would it work with Humax's Media elinker software as, apparently, a necessary dll file is missing. Any advice please?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
30 1,800
The future of TV? by Brian-Gaff
Seems to me there is a concerted push at the moment to make all content transient. By that I mean, in the beginning it was whatever was on at the time was what you watched, then came video recording and pre recorded tapes. This seemed to annoy the content providers as folk bypassed the adverts on time shifted stuff, but of course the folk selling films liked it as another revenue stream. ...
May 27th 15 08:41 PM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
9 302
TV_Theme tunes by Pinnerite[_2_]
This came up this morning on BBC1 breakfast. Are the old ones better/more memorable than the latest ones? Various suggestions of favourites were made but no one mentioned Hill street Blues, definitely one of mine. -- Mageia 4 for x86_64, Kernel:3.14.32-desktop-1.mga4
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 26th 15 05:24 PM
by JNugent[_4_] Go to last post
44 45
letter to Look North, copy to the BBC Trust and to J.Whittingdale by Bill Wright[_2_]
Dear Sirs, Look North Leeds, 20th May 2015 Your package on the closure of part of Ferrybridge Power Station was severely biased because of the follow-up interview, which was with John Grant, who was described as Ďan expert in renewable energy and climate changeí. Why didnít you describe him as a hard line environmentalist, which is what he is? Then the viewers would have known where he was...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 26th 15 09:15 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
23 377
Thin TV by David[_9_]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3088702/The-wallpaper-TV-light-hang-wall-using-MAGNETS.html Regards David
May 23rd 15 09:37 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
8 266
Spain hotel with analogue channels as well as digital. by David[_9_]
Just returned from Ibiza, Samsung 32" flat wide screen TV in room, 92 channels of various European countries Tv in digital and 13 on analogueEG the digital ones which included BBC world news, 2 USA news channels, Disney all in English and the rest European. The digital ones were correct 16x9 pictures, but the analogues ones where all letterbox with short fat people. Remote being in a hotel...
May 23rd 15 09:36 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
5 245
OT(ish) VESA mounts by David[_13_]
We fairly recently replace a 32" HD Ready flat screen TV with a 42" Full HD flat screen TV. The 32" TV is pretty heavy - grunt when you pick it up to move it. The 42" TV feels ridiculously light - it feels light as a feather. On the back, the 32" TV has a VESAO 100 mounting. On the back, the 42" TV has a VESA 200 mounting.
May 20th 15 08:08 PM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
3 228
Missing Arise News by Pinnerite[_2_]
I can get Arise News on channel 136 from Crystal Palace on my smart TV but it doesn't show up on my computer. I have a two-channel DVB-T tuner driving Kaffeine. Scanning the spectrum with w_scan -X -c GB channels.conf and searched the resultant cahannel.conf. Arise doesn't show. According to the Multiplex listings, Arise News is on channel 136 on Multiplex COM7 - ARQC - Arqiva C so why...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 19th 15 10:18 AM
by Mark Carver Go to last post
10 372
Britain's Greatest Pilot BBC4 by Phi
The program broadcast at 3am on Wednesday morning was stopped abruptly after 53mins 13secs of airtime, leaving 5mins 46secs of program remaining. It was as if someone said, let's go home now and pulled the plug. I went back to an earlier repeat and watched the end at 58mins 59secs.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 19th 15 02:25 AM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
23 542
Technics TV - Auto-Tuning by Alaric
I visited a friend recently who told me that even when he had retuned his set it reverted to the earlier settings. I then watched the set being retuned automatically. It showed 5 USA on Channel 21 and the new Spike on Channel 31 as should be the case. However, when he switched the set off then restarted it Channel 21 showed VIVA and Channel 31 showed 5 USA. Has anyone any idea what is going...
May 17th 15 08:49 AM
by Alaric Go to last post
4 387
Aldi DAB radio fir £29.99 by Roderick Stewart[_3_]
On Tue, 12 May 2015 11:41:40 +0200, Martin wrote: On Mon, 11 May 2015 13:43:50 +0100 Jim Lesurf wrote: IMHO This is a serious gap in the established consumer law. Expect similar problems to occur in future. The plain reality is that a 'net radio' consumer item is *NOT* the same as a traditional broadcast radio. People I think the...
May 13th 15 09:45 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
2 848
Updates to TV? by Mr Pounder Esquire
I watch very little TV so please excuse my question if it is silly. The other day Mrs Pounder turned the telly on and there was a message on the screen. Something like "Updating software, please wait". After waiting another message saying "Update failed, no USB" connected". I *think* the Sky box was turned on. The TV aerial is not plugged into the set as some idiot shortened the length....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 10th 15 04:22 PM
by Graham.[_5_] Go to last post
10 407
Does anyone remember...... by [email protected]
Dave Tilley who used to frequent thus ng around 10 years ago and used to publish his home address on his posts which was somewhere in Tiverton, Devon. He also made references to the hemlock society. Anyone know what happened to him? His post could be sarcastic and I imagine that did rub people up the wrong way...... S.
May 7th 15 10:25 AM
by Mark Carver Go to last post
3 263
This smart tv stick for non smart tvs by Brian Gaff[_2_]
I hear it advertised, only 35 quid blah blah, but very little on which sets and actually what it can do. It occurred to me that if it is in effect an internet device, then I wondered if some bright person could putt talking software on a plug in chip for the most common tvs menus? This is what a lot of people need these days I feel. Still soon I suppose we will be all communicating with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 7th 15 10:17 AM
by Davey Go to last post
30 478
W10: One Drive and Cortana by Geoff Pearson
Is anyone likely to use Cortana - I have voice dialling on my phone but I've never found a use for it, even in the car? Likewise, OneDrive - so you don't have your files on your PC - you just hope they will come back. I have thousands of documents - better on my HDD that of in a cloud.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 5th 15 11:09 AM
by Alan White[_2_] Go to last post
13 869