Post New Thread
OT why do they do this to us? by Bill Wright[_3_]
Hil's iPhone has been demanding to download an update for weeks, so this teatime, in a fit of insanity, I agreed. Two hours later the phone was all but useless. No connection to the network, etc. I fiddled around (my efforts always remind me of a very old picture I saw once of black men in the jungle who had come across a wireless set and were trying to figure where the voice came from) and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 28th 15 02:07 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
45 615
Unimpressed with my own dottiness by Bill Wright[_3_]
Paul emailed. Would I like a nice new cap lamp? He meant one of those things that fit on your head. He'd been on the internet buying things whilst drunk, and had wanted a caplamp that ran from AAA cells, so it was small and light. His squiffy eyes misinterpreted the picture and the batteries turned out to be quite big nickel metal whatsit ones, not AAAs as he'd assumed. So the lamp was much...
October 27th 15 08:02 PM
by Davey Go to last post
3 188
memories of 1950s domestic technology by Bill Wright[_3_]
On 27/10/2015 09:13, Brian-Gaff wrote: I used to string tape all over the room around things to get echo effects, much to the annoyance of my Mother. I found that empty milk bottles were perfect for the far end of the tape to run around. Automatic tensioning because of the tapered shape! Bill
October 27th 15 01:55 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
0 102
RIP Sebastian de Ferranti by Peter Duncanson
On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 09:48:22 +0100, Martin wrote: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11939157/Sebastian-de-Ferranti-businessman-obituary.html Thank you. I used to work for Ferranti in Manchester, doing things with computers. -- Peter Duncanson
October 27th 15 01:03 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
2 238
memories of 1950s domestic technology by NY
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message ... NY wrote: I'm trying to imagine the scene in the Radiophonic Workshop when they were creating the Doctor Who theme, with bits of tape hanging everywhere, ready to be spliced into the final master to create each of the notes, or with huge tape loops that went out of the door, down...
October 27th 15 11:18 AM
by NY Go to last post
0 179
Not many of you will know of Sabrina by Phi
+ACI-Mr Pounder Esquire+ACI- +ADw-MrPounder+AEA-RationalThought.com+AD4- wrote in message news:n08k8g+ACQ-8lg+ACQ-1+AEA-dont-email.me... +AD4- Phi wrote: +AD4APg- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06jnzjx/timeshift-series-15-4-the-peoples-liners-britains-lost-pleasure-fleets +AD4- +AD4- I've heard of these two. +AD4- Sorry, I remember these two, I mean her. +AD4- +AD4-...
October 26th 15 11:38 PM
by DerekF[_2_] Go to last post
3 157
4k test internet channels by Michael Chare[_5_]
Are there any free 4K test internet channels? Might I be able to view at a reduced resolution on my PC? -- Michael Chare
October 25th 15 07:09 PM
by Chris Hills Go to last post
6 233
dual mono on BBC News Channel by Bill Wright[_2_]
Live from UN. Speaker on left audio; translator on right audio. It's very effective. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 25th 15 02:59 PM
by NY Go to last post
13 366
Pitcairn Islands by Brian-Gaff
Lost me there, I guess you had to have heard it. One does wonder why people populate some islands in the world. I mean what is the point of the Azores, for example other than as a military refuelling site. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active Remember, if you don't like where I post
October 25th 15 09:23 AM
by Ian Go to last post
9 226
Not many of you will know of Sabrina by Phi
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06jnzjx/timeshift-series-15-4-the-peoples-liners-britains-lost-pleasure-fleets
October 25th 15 12:30 AM
by DerekF[_2_] Go to last post
9 227
Do we need Freeview? by David[_9_]
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/sep/20/freeview-play-digital-uk-tv-aerials Says Freeview nearly failed if they had or did in the future would our TV go off? Regards David
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 24th 15 08:53 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
118 1,525
Ayup Bill by Graham.[_5_]
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 08:20:01 +0100, "Brian-Gaff" wrote: Try again.. Why? its not exactly a new phenomenon is it? The prog itself seems to be from 2012 Brian I don't know if we are specially targeted here in Lancashire, but on
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 21st 15 09:13 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
12 307
"Britain Through A Lens" by Java Jive[_2_]
Just started watching an SD download of this and ... :-( Almost every scene is marred by the picture breaking up into squares :-( 07:11 from the start: The film shows a piece of paper purporting to be the frontispiece for the handwritten manuscript of a book written by a civil servant: The Herring -----
October 20th 15 06:19 PM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
2 208
How come people want to throw stuff away all the time by Brian-Gaff
I appropriated a band three wide band aerial. In quite good nick, but the braid holding screw had seized. I took that off and a friend is 'renovating it' for me, but my old building demolisher working nearby said, Cor thats rubbish I'll stick it in my skip if you like. I think I must have seemed a weirdo when I declined and told him it actually is just the thing for DAB and I'll keep it and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 20th 15 09:08 AM
by Davey Go to last post
39 529
Ramming things up arses by Bill Wright[_3_]
On 13/10/2015 23:06, Paul Ratcliffe wrote: On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 23:52:09 +0100, Bill Wright wrote: Please don't go and buy one of those end mounted 'high gain' wideband pieces of **** as sold by the DIY shops. If you do I will come round and rip it down and ram it up your arse. If this happens, please can you let me know and sell me a ticket for the...
October 19th 15 05:06 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
7 250
A cable laying assistant by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
This post appeared in alt.usage.english earlier today. I though it might appeal to inhabitants of uk.tech.digital-tv. (Copied with permission) The context was a discussion about the ground floors of houses and the space beneath them. quote In our first house were trying to lay a new TV cable underneath a suspended floor; the gap was too small for a person to crawl through. So
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 19th 15 04:52 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
83 1,211
BBC Bias? by Davey
The BBC News today is giving loads of publicity to the 'Keep Britain in the EU campaign'. I don't remember seeing this amount of coverage for the opposite viewpoint. -- Davey.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 17th 15 11:07 AM
by Martin P Go to last post
44 674
Lookalikes by Java Jive[_2_]
Dear Private Eye, I wonder if your readers have noticed the remarkable similarity between Prof Ian Steward ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b053gf85 .... and Alfred E Neuman, the venerated editor of Mad Magazine...
October 16th 15 07:18 PM
by Graham.[_5_] Go to last post
5 236
Slightly OT - Memory Upgrade by Woody[_5_]
"Eddie King" wrote in message ... Hi all, apologies for what is slightly OT, but being a longtime reader of this NG I value the expertise on offer. My slightly ageing PC has an MSI Motherboard MS7592 6.0 with 4 GB DDR3 memory which I would like to upgrade to 8GB. OS is win7 64-Bit. The specs on the MSI site say that my...
October 16th 15 07:06 PM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
2 224
Ramming things up arses by Phi
+ACI-Brian-Gaff+ACI- +ADw-briang1+AEA-blueyonder.co.uk+AD4- wrote in message news:mvle7n+ACQ-s0p+ACQ-1+AEA-dont-email.me... +AD4- Obviously, I've not seen a Squarial for maybe 6 years, and that one was +AD4- found in a skip by a neighbour who wanted to know what it was. +AD4- +AD4- The only use for those cheap wideband end mounted things is in a loft +AD4- almost on top of the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 16th 15 02:18 AM
by Phi Go to last post
12 241