Post New Thread
economic woman by Brian-Gaff
Erm, not sure about that. did I not read somewhere that it depends very much on boiling the correct amount in the microwave to get any gain at all over a kettle of recent vintage. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active Remember, if you don't like where I post or what I say, you don't have to
January 27th 16 09:03 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
3 201
"Subtitles" for foreigners speaking English by MartinR
As seen on Adrian Chiles' excellent programme about religion last night. Somehow, the production crew for his programme manage to simultaneously insult the interviewee and patronise the viewer by insisting on putting subtitles on for some French people in Marseille speaking perfectly understandable English. What was even more bizarre was when a Frenchman with a very heavy accent (the Muslim...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 26th 16 09:03 PM
by pinnerite Go to last post
86 1,259
economic woman by Adrian Caspersz
On 26/01/16 18:19, Bill Wright wrote: On Calendar just now: "And she boils water in the microwave rather than a kettle to save energy." Just by standing next to the microwave, she boils water. Powerful PMT*. She sounds dangerous...
January 26th 16 06:54 PM
by Adrian Caspersz Go to last post
0 176
vga/hdmi to composite, supplementary question by Brian Gaff
Having looked up a number of these devices, all seem to come with the warning that if your tv does only accept 50 frames mode, they will not work very well. IE the frame rates used on the adaptors seem to be 60 and 70 hz. Can anyone tell me how on might know if ones telly does support the other frame rates? Also there are several hdmi to composite devices out there which do not list pcs as...
January 26th 16 03:09 PM
by Andy Burns[_10_] Go to last post
3 274
CBeebies for staff training by Bill Wright[_3_]
Yesterday the characters (a purple bear and a dog, as I recall, on CBeebies had a problem with the TV aerial, which they were able to fix. The methodology, site language, and H & S awareness was far better than I've seen many aerial installers use. An opening for BBC Enterprises? Bill
January 26th 16 02:43 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
1 209
conversion of TVI to HDMI by Bill Wright[_3_]
Does anyone know how I can convert the TVI-HD output of a CCTV camera to HDMI, so I can feed it into a DVB T2 modulator? Bill
January 26th 16 01:49 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
3 244
Ross Freesat LNB Out? by Kenny
Ross model HDR-6110USB and 50" LG Smart TV with Freesat inbuilt. Both had been working OK separately until I connected dish to Ross box and a flylead from LNB Out to TV so that I could use the Record function on Ross box, TV does record to USB but the recordings can only be replayed on that TV, not usable for anything else. It didn't work, tried TV and Ross box separately and now I don't...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 25th 16 10:25 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
23 924
OT - Car DAB radio upgrade by listener
OK, AM is dying and DAB coverage is improving. Halfords have a Pioneer AM/FM/DAB/DAB+ radio + USB input (for MP3 and CD rips) Sounds perfect for me at ~40, I think. Now the antenna. My car has a 30" whip (quarter wave at FM) sloping at 45 degrees in the front middle of the roof.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 24th 16 05:47 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
11 356
Dual-Booting Linux/Windows 7/Windows 2000 - two gotchas (OT for uk.tech.digital-tv) by Java Jive[_2_]
OT for uk.tech.digital-tv, but cross-posting there as recently there have been a couple of related threads there ... I have the following arrangement: Disk 1: P1: NTFS Windows 2000 (bootable) P2: NTFS Data P3: ext4 Ubuntu 14 / P4: ext4 Ubuntu 14 /home Disk 2:
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 24th 16 02:49 PM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
24 511
How to handle a satellite dish by [email protected]
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 24th 16 01:45 PM
by Max Demian Go to last post
17 419
Philips Universal Remote - need set up codes by [email protected]
January 22nd 16 09:08 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
9 300
Humax Foxsat volume control useless on HD channels by Maurice Batey[_2_]
Using a Humax Foxsat HDR with a Sony Bravia, it seems the Humax's remote volume control cannot control the volume of an HD broadcast. Apart from using the Humax's 'TV' button to change the TV's volume (a nuisance haveing to flip from PVR to TV every time), is there another solution? (I saw mention of a TV's "Auto Volume" control, but can't find mention of this in the Bravia manual.)
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 22nd 16 12:46 PM
by Maurice[_3_] Go to last post
15 1,271
new radio? by Bill Wright[_3_]
I’ve consulted the splendid ‘Radio Listeners Guide’ so I’m getting a few ideas, but I wondered if anyone here has hands-on experience of the radio I’m searching for. I want something that I can use as a ‘site radio’ when I’m working around the premises. Spec: Reasonably loud so I can use it outdoors despite traffic noise. DAB, and able to resolve muxes 25dB below their...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 20th 16 10:50 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
24 684
New radio, hi fi separate by Brian Gaff
OK while we are on this tack, does anyone produce a tuner for connecting to analogue input hi fis, that. Has dab that will work off an external aerial, if it has fm then fine, but it would also be nice if it could do internet stuff too. The one proviso is that it should not have a complicated lcd screen, no touch sensitive controls and have buttons which one can feel one has depressed. I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 20th 16 10:41 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
11 425
weird inverse quantum effect by pinnerite
Quantum mechanics tells us that particles in a multiple of different states will flip to one of those states when observed. For months I have been scanning photographic positives and negatives for several months. Periodically, during final scans, the Silverfast software will sometimes fail with 'unknown error' but if I sit there staring at it more often than not it will complete its final...
January 19th 16 12:17 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
1 204
Wall to wall snooker by Brian-Gaff
I simply do not see the point in using bbc 2 for the whole of the evening for snooker. Is it really that rivetting and popular? Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active Remember, if you don't like where I post or what I say, you don't have to read my posts! :-)
January 19th 16 12:15 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
6 319
Getaway Car by Davey
I think that the BBC missed out by not mentioning on the innumerable adverts. for this programme that it featured The Stig. Mind you, was it the real Stig? He looked different, and of course, his face was always hidden. -- Davey.
January 18th 16 12:34 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
8 474
Rowridge: if a tree falls in the forest... by Bill Wright[_3_]
I have today been perusing a most splendid publication: 'Television Viewer's Guide', available from http://radioguide.co.uk/tv-guide/television-viewers-guide.html This is an invaluable publication and in fact is part of the course work for this newsgroup, so you must obtain a copy. There's no chance of passing the exam unless you have the book. Students with both parents in prison can apply...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 15th 16 12:33 PM
by Doctor D Go to last post
22 753
Is Iplayer on the blink by Brian Gaff
Recently I've been getting the intro music to a channel the content is from, you know the little jingle, then a long pause and then a caption saying. this content does not seem to be playing while buffering stays on the screen. This was last night. Sometimes it would work but not often. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
January 14th 16 11:41 PM
by pamela Go to last post
3 263
How to trace a phone call by Roderick Stewart[_3_]
Did anybody watch "Endeavour" last night, and were you paying attention? I've just watched the recording and about 40 minutes in there's a standard scene where they're waiting in a family's home for a ransom call from kidnappers, with some technical gubbins to record and trace the call, and I thought I recognised some of it. Sure enough, there was a reel to reel tape recorder, a Tandberg with...
January 12th 16 08:15 PM
by NY Go to last post
7 339
Post New Thread