Post New Thread
satellite meter for sale by Bill Wright[_3_]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0tyfu06onmyawp/IMG_20151101_030355.jpg?dl=0 I bought this some years ago; can't remember exactly when but I'll guess it was about 2003. I bought it for a specific job, where someone had to go to 130 outlets to check the quality and quantity of signal from a system that carried Astra 28E. The meter was used for that job, where it was simply switched on and carried...
November 3rd 15 01:36 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
2 317
What is cut off bandwidth for iPlayer ? by Phi
I don't seem to be able to maintain sufficient bandwidth to watch BBC iPlayer without Beeb saying you've not got enough now. Seems to be a new problem.
November 2nd 15 10:32 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
5 221
memories of 1950s domestic technology by NY
"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message ... On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 09:39:32 -0000, "NY" wrote: I used to string tape all over the room around things to get echo effects, much to the annoyance of my Mother. Strange how things have turned out now. Nobody uses tape much any longer,
November 2nd 15 10:00 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
6 174
Can't see live stream? by Kenny
This is a live stream from where I live, can see it on laptop but on LG Smart TV just get a blank window where the video should be. http://www.derrystrabane.com/Subsites/halloween/Home Trying directly from YouTube it's the same, other YT videos play OK. Any ideas anyone? Kenny Cargill
November 1st 15 03:18 PM
by Geoff Pearson Go to last post
6 266
Fun with subtitles by Davey
Yesterday, on either Ch. 4 or 5, the spoken word was presumably: "He can't process his emotions". But the subtitle version came up as: "He can't progress his motions", which is an entirely different matter. Oops. And on the Andrew Marr show this morning, Teresa May was described as the person most likely to lead the Conservative Part
November 1st 15 02:47 PM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
1 189
BBC One HD London broadcasting regional progs by [email protected]
Last week the BBC1 HD channel in London was broadcasting Kents Inside Out instead of the London one on the SD channel. Yesterday it was Cornwalls version! Still, thats better than just swimming hippos which is what is usually there when regional programming is underway. Why are the BBC having such problems showing the correct , if any , regional programming on its HD channels? -- Spud
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 30th 15 11:39 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
33 601
Eternal-September by Graham.[_11_]
Anyone having problems with the E-S news server? It's not accepting my credentials. Same on two different devices and i've not touched the config.
October 30th 15 11:15 AM
by tim..... Go to last post
6 305
RIP Sebastian de Ferranti by NY
"Martin" wrote in message ... On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 09:51:50 +0000, Indy Jess John wrote: On 27/10/2015 08:48, Martin wrote: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11939157/Sebastian-de-Ferranti-businessman-obituary.html I programmed a Ferranti Argus in the 1980s. It was a...
October 29th 15 11:33 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
4 118
Impressed with my own cleverness by Bill Wright[_3_]
Paul said, "My van radio is making a weird noise. It's being getting worse and worse for weeks and it's driving me bonkers. Get in and tell me what's doing it." He put the radio on AM and it sounded fine. "It only does it when I'm driving. Is it the alternator do you think?" He moved the van a couple of feet and it did it. "There!" he said. "That!" I said, "Your aerial is shorting to the van...
October 29th 15 02:02 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
5 209
t Those long gone days again by Brian-Gaff
I can remember when I worked for Redifussion (which I could never spell properly), one year while on holiday with my parents, my Father took me to a site on the south Downs where the signals were received for the south coast cable operations for the company. The mast was very impressive and had some stacked arrays pointing in various directions receiving the ITV and BBC South and London...
October 29th 15 08:22 AM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
0 149
Weeping for long-gone days by Jim GM4DHJ ...
"Woody" wrote in message ... "Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVaJ19-UT9g It's not the video on this page but the 'suggested other viewing down the
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 29th 15 07:57 AM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
34 594
OT why do they do this to us? by Bill Wright[_3_]
Hil's iPhone has been demanding to download an update for weeks, so this teatime, in a fit of insanity, I agreed. Two hours later the phone was all but useless. No connection to the network, etc. I fiddled around (my efforts always remind me of a very old picture I saw once of black men in the jungle who had come across a wireless set and were trying to figure where the voice came from) and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 28th 15 01:07 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
45 568
Unimpressed with my own dottiness by Bill Wright[_3_]
Paul emailed. Would I like a nice new cap lamp? He meant one of those things that fit on your head. He'd been on the internet buying things whilst drunk, and had wanted a caplamp that ran from AAA cells, so it was small and light. His squiffy eyes misinterpreted the picture and the batteries turned out to be quite big nickel metal whatsit ones, not AAAs as he'd assumed. So the lamp was much...
October 27th 15 07:02 PM
by Davey Go to last post
3 181
memories of 1950s domestic technology by Bill Wright[_3_]
On 27/10/2015 09:13, Brian-Gaff wrote: I used to string tape all over the room around things to get echo effects, much to the annoyance of my Mother. I found that empty milk bottles were perfect for the far end of the tape to run around. Automatic tensioning because of the tapered shape! Bill
October 27th 15 12:55 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
0 95
RIP Sebastian de Ferranti by Peter Duncanson
On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 09:48:22 +0100, Martin wrote: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11939157/Sebastian-de-Ferranti-businessman-obituary.html Thank you. I used to work for Ferranti in Manchester, doing things with computers. -- Peter Duncanson
October 27th 15 12:03 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
2 223
memories of 1950s domestic technology by NY
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message ... NY wrote: I'm trying to imagine the scene in the Radiophonic Workshop when they were creating the Doctor Who theme, with bits of tape hanging everywhere, ready to be spliced into the final master to create each of the notes, or with huge tape loops that went out of the door, down...
October 27th 15 10:18 AM
by NY Go to last post
0 173
Not many of you will know of Sabrina by Phi
+ACI-Mr Pounder Esquire+ACI- +ADw-MrPounder+AEA-RationalThought.com+AD4- wrote in message news:n08k8g+ACQ-8lg+ACQ-1+AEA-dont-email.me... +AD4- Phi wrote: +AD4APg- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06jnzjx/timeshift-series-15-4-the-peoples-liners-britains-lost-pleasure-fleets +AD4- +AD4- I've heard of these two. +AD4- Sorry, I remember these two, I mean her. +AD4- +AD4-...
October 26th 15 10:38 PM
by DerekF[_2_] Go to last post
3 152
4k test internet channels by Michael Chare[_5_]
Are there any free 4K test internet channels? Might I be able to view at a reduced resolution on my PC? -- Michael Chare
October 25th 15 06:09 PM
by Chris Hills Go to last post
6 213
dual mono on BBC News Channel by Bill Wright[_2_]
Live from UN. Speaker on left audio; translator on right audio. It's very effective. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 25th 15 01:59 PM
by NY Go to last post
13 347
Pitcairn Islands by Brian-Gaff
Lost me there, I guess you had to have heard it. One does wonder why people populate some islands in the world. I mean what is the point of the Azores, for example other than as a military refuelling site. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active Remember, if you don't like where I post
October 25th 15 08:23 AM
by Ian Go to last post
9 214
Post New Thread