Post New Thread
BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened? by larkim
Even accepting that I rarely watch the BBC local news coverage, it irritates me that so long now after HD was more or less fully deployed the BBC still doesn't do regional broadcasting in HD. When will this ever arrive!!??!?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 3rd 17 08:54 PM
by Scott[_2_] Go to last post
109 337
Modem uptime record by Roderick Stewart[_3_]
On checking my VDSL modem uptime today, I see it has maintained a solid internet connection for exactly 100 days, the longest it has ever managed without a reboot (usually around 3 or 4am). I feel I ought to celebrate, but I'm not sure what would be best. There is a more recent firmware version for it, and I was considering updating it, but the foregoing looks like a very good reason to...
October 2nd 17 10:38 AM
by Peter Crosland Go to last post
3 89
bbc inacuracies by Brian Gaff
When the Casini probe was due to crash into Saturn the news said it was running out of power in its nuclear generator. This was not only untrue, but other bbc programs like BBC Inside Science had got it right, saying it was low on fuel for the jets that pointed it when gyros were not suitable. I just wonder why they do not actually get an expert in for news reports when they are writing...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 2nd 17 01:41 AM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
73 269
Epsom things by Dave W
Joan, I didn't manage to fit in a visit to the Ashley church jumble, but I did investigate various things you told me. The church has just one disabled bay for "Church Visitors", so maybe not for jumble sales. All bays are private. I went into the closing-down shop. One of the men kept shouting at the top of his voice "everything half price". I bought you a pack of the tall pots
October 1st 17 06:46 PM
by Dave W Go to last post
8 61
Interesting Gadget by Phi
https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/09/marseille-mcable-gaming-edition/ No comment.
October 1st 17 04:23 PM
by Davey Go to last post
5 57
Video on file hippo by Brian Gaff
I could not see it but I heard it, are they really saying that all the military are now going over to X Box controllers for their cheapness? Weird man. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
October 1st 17 08:59 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 53
Does BBC track what you have watched on iPlayer ? by Phi
I only watch certain BBC programmes on iPlayer through a browser. I have noticed recently on the pre-schedule page listing recent programmes, there are none displayed that I have watched. I can't think they are that sophisticated, because they can't remember that I have a licence.
September 30th 17 01:45 PM
by Phi Go to last post
7 53
5 HD on Freesat EPG by PeterC
For the last few days Channel 5 HD hasn't been on Freesat's EPG. It's there for 4 - 5 days but not for days 6 and 7. 5 SD is there but another 5... (can't recall which one) is also missing a couple of days. Anyone else seen this? It's a v. minor nuisance as I tend to go through the EPG for the day a week ahead. There's very little on 5 that's worth watching, mainly because the overall format,...
September 28th 17 05:49 PM
by PeterC Go to last post
5 55
BBC second-hand adverts by Andy Burns[_12_]
On BBC Business Live, they seem to like showing a web browser scrolling through e.g. newspaper articles, complete with whatever adverts happen to get displayed in their browser. Haven't they heard of adblock, or considered zooming in to just the articles text/image column rather than the whole page? Maybe Biddy Baxter could advise them on obscuring brand names?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 27th 17 01:57 PM
by Mark[_6_] Go to last post
16 88
Watching British TV abroad by Norman Wells[_6_]
On past holidays in Spain I've taken a tablet computer and have been able to watch the good old Beeb on Filmon.tv. Now though it seems they've gone over to a subscription only model, which is over the top expensive for just a short break. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of Mobdro or knows of any other alternative to get what I want which is mainly on BBC1? I don't really...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 26th 17 11:04 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
27 170
OT the telephone network by Bill Wright[_3_]
Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the phone lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises and/or the streetboxes? Is there a UK newsgroup that discusses such things? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 26th 17 11:36 AM
by Alan White[_3_] Go to last post
39 226
Those bbc audio streams again by Brian Gaff
Seem to be flaky this last few days, taking ages to start andhaving drop outs for ever or just seconds. As I've said before their tv streams do not suffer and nor do other broadcasters audio streams even on ann Amazon Echo with limited cache. Of course they deny there is a problem, but its very odd that a friend on bt and I on Virgin both see this from time to time as if there was some kind...
September 25th 17 06:17 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 46
Antiference six element FM aerial free by Bill Wright[_3_]
Antiference six element FM aerial. It was on my roof for a few years but now I've taken it down. Condition is perfect. Anyone got a use for it? Buyer collects. It comes into two halves easily for transport. Bill
September 25th 17 09:01 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
6 116
Inter channel levels by Brian Gaff
I do wish some organisation would come in and enforce some kind of standard on levels of the sound on freeview channels. I know this has come up beforebut they reall are all over the place and its not just compression differences as you can often hear limiting on some of the conten of the quietest channels. And as for the radio its always louder and some are very very loud. If levels and...
September 23rd 17 12:44 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
6 88
Humax PVR9300T. by Ian Field
Why is my Humax PVR9300T slower than a M$ OS?!!!!! Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 22nd 17 01:49 PM
by Mark[_6_] Go to last post
32 249
Muffled microphone syndrome. by Brian Gaff
Is it me or do the BBC seem to have somebody putting lapel mikes on people in such a way that they all sound like they are muffled? I'm assuming its that type of mike as studio stuff sounds good still. Its obvious sometimes as you can often hear rustling from clothing. Weather presenters seem to be particularly affected recently. ITV seem not to have this problem. Maybe they have bought some...
September 22nd 17 08:39 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 87
Digital Lemon clock by Brian Gaff
Many many years ago there used to be a catalogue company, whatever happened to that concept? Anyway, one of the devices they sold was tthe lcd lemon clock. It was basically a small lced clock with two prongs on it that you put into a lemon and the clock ran. Very silly idea. I'm not totally sure what made me remember this today. must be my age or something. Brian -- ----- -
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 22nd 17 12:31 AM
by Graham.[_12_] Go to last post
13 111
Singapore F1 1st Practice - strange problem with recording by David[_14_]
I record the F1 GP on two boxes, the Virgin Tivo and the FreeSat Humax. In both cases FP1 stopped about 2 minutes in. On the Tivo it looked as though there should be about 1 hour 45 minutes but it wouldn't skip past the first couple of minutes. Has anyone else encountered this or am I the only one watching F1? Oh, FP2 was recorded O.K.
September 20th 17 03:22 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
9 100
battery tools are crap by Bill Wright[_3_]
It sounds so attractive! No power cord! Use it where there's no mains! But battery tools are rubbish compared to 110V or mains ones. Now I don't do site work any more I can buy mains powered tools, and what a revelation they are! Firstly there's the fact that a mains powered tool can cost less than a replacement battery. For instance a battery for my reciprocating saw would have been £120....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 15th 17 03:40 PM
by charles[_2_] Go to last post
11 167
Polaroid (ASDA) TVs by AnthonyL
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs? 50" Full HD Smart LED at 299. The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband. -- AnthonyL
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 14th 17 09:10 AM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
130 502