Post New Thread
Completely OT but you're knowledgeable - car toll stickers / black dots by larkim
The last few cars I've owned have had the dotted area around the rear view mirror, and the handbooks have said that this is specially designed for toll tags etc. I've now got a toll tag, and duly stuck it in that place. But what is special about those dots and why do toll tags have to go there? Do they "power" the RFID chips in any special way, or is it just about shielding the tags from...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 18th 17 11:26 AM
by Andy Burns[_12_] Go to last post
10 54
Bitrates by Vir Campestris
.... a thought from the other thread. Now that DTV is getting bitrate squeezed enough to be annoying, and we don't want a satellite dish on our thatched roof - are the live BBC/ITV streams good enough to be watchable? What bitrate are they? Andy
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 17th 17 10:48 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
18 63
Time to regain cost of replacing plasma TV by David[_14_]
I started a Google search but didn't get a final answer. Suggestions are about 10p per day extra if it uses an extra kilowatt. Depending on how long it is on per day. £36.50 a year, then. If it comes out at around £55 per year extra over a new LCD TV and a 42" TV WITH EQUIVALENT PICTURE QUALITY!! would cost around £550 then it would take 10 years to get the cost back. Given that the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 17th 17 12:13 PM
by ChrisK Go to last post
21 63
Aerial amplifier interference question by sintv[_2_]
Ive had 2 recent customers complaining that their Freeview reception had gone. One had a loft amp and the other had a masthead amp in the loft, with both aerials in the loft. Initially I changed amps and PSUs but this made no difference. Luckily the signal was high so I put in a splitter. This cured both problems. I suppose some kind of interference (4G?) is responsible but if anyone has...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 16th 17 09:15 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
11 51
Cold caller by Bill Wright[_3_]
Hello? Hello? Hello, my name is Karen. The government are giving grants for home improvements to people who are on benefits. Is there anyone in your house who receives benefits? Yes, both of us. What benefits do you receive? Well, the fact is... I'm not sure I can tell you... I need to know what benefits you receive. OK, well, thing is like, it's a special payment for people who have
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 15th 17 09:48 PM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
45 132
HDMI switcher needed by TonyGamble
I've had some helpful advice regarding Firesticks and the alternatives. Thank you. I now need an HDMI switcher so I can alternate between one of the new Firesticks (being launched 25 Oct) and my Humax Freesat PVR. I did have an HDMI switcher for the Humax and my Sony DVD player but abandoned it. The problem was that when I switched on my plasma it seemed to need what I'd best describe as a kick...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 15th 17 09:43 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
30 82
Offcom and audio Description by Brian Gaff
Why is it that many channels do no audio description at all, when others seem to do most obvious things? I am always being told by rnib how good the AD is now with 'many channels doing more than 20 percent of their output. However Sony and CBS and some other channels never do any at all. After all Sony Movie channel often put out movies which I know had AD in the cinema, so what is stopping...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 14th 17 03:20 PM
by pamela Go to last post
30 69
[OT] LED polarity etc by Pinnerite
It is not often that I point a soldering iron at anything but I wanted to add a switch and an LED to a battery powered function generator about the size of a fat credit card. I decided a strip of Vero board would do and had a few scraps from the early '70s. We use to use lead/tin solder but it appears 'elf-n-safety abolished that. The first thing was which way round to connect an LED. I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 13th 17 10:11 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
10 52
get_iplayer v3.04 by Johnny B Good[_2_]
I noticed an update to get_iplayer v3.03 had shown up in my overdue list of updates waiting to be installed into LM17.1 shortly after reaching a point in my 3 week long transcoding of mpg to mkv odyssey a couple of days back so decided to take the opportunity to close the winXP VM and all the open applications to reduce the risk of update induced screw ups and okeyd the update process. This...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 12th 17 05:43 PM
by Ian Jackson[_7_] Go to last post
30 31
CCTV of the recent road accident near the Natural History Museum by Bill Wright[_3_]
I haven't seen any. Seems odd. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 12th 17 03:15 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
24 75
Flight by Bill Wright[_3_]
It's nearly dusk. It's been a very still day, and it's very quiet now. The turbines stand idle. The hens have gone to bed. I'm up the ladder painting the barge boards. Dozens of ladybirds land on the wet white gloss and get stuck. Red with small black spots, red with medium black spots, red with black spots so big the red is almost completely obscured, black with red spots. They struggle,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 10th 17 08:23 AM
by PeterC Go to last post
18 71
Creative advert frequency. by Brian Gaff
Seems to me that ever since the commercial channels were allowed a bit more advert in the hour and no restriction on when they appearr, many of the longer shows such as Marple or midsummer Murders etc, carry few near the start but pack them in every five minutes near the end, completely ruining the plot flow. Then they have the nerve to plug the itv hub paid for option where you can watch...
October 10th 17 08:07 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 36
SEVEN - ITV4 by Pinnerite
According to The Sunday Times Culture's TV listings, the film 'Seven' is due to be broadcast on ITV4 at 10 pm on Monday 9 October and at 11:20 pm on the same channel (24) on 14 October. Neither show up in the listings on my MythTV-Freeview-T2-compliant computer. Anyone know why not? -- Mageia 5.1 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.82-desktop-1.mga5
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 17 04:12 PM
by PeterC Go to last post
13 86
[OT] Dual-Gang switched 13A + USB sockets by Pinnerite
I need to partially rewire my apartment. I am tempted to replace some old double-switched sockets with those that incorporate USB sockets. Some are described as Switched USB Socket 13A 2-gang + 2 USB. Can I assume that the USB sockets on these are actually switched and carry no current until a plug is inserted? If you have any experience of these things I would appreciate the benefit of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 9th 17 12:52 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
24 115
The latest idea from a Brexit official: Replace EU safety checks with Amazon reviews by Ian Jackson[_7_]
This should be fun. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/the-latest-idea-from-a-brexit-o fficial-replace-eu-safety-checks-with-amazon-reviews-a3650231.html http://bit.ly/2yrE0Ia -- Ian
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 9th 17 08:43 AM
by Woody[_5_] Go to last post
40 127
Duty cycle and transmitters by Brian Gaff
I was pondering something the other day about the use of bandwidth and how hard the transmitters had to work. In the old analogue days where a single channel took up a whole 8 meg chunk, much of the time being AM the transmitter was not working that hard, but today as they are multiplexes and tuning over them with an analogue radio shows the whole 8 megs to be basically a broadband constant...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 9th 17 01:27 AM
by Mark Carver[_2_] Go to last post
83 212
coverage in Europe from the UK Freesat and Sky satellite clusternominally at 28E by Bill Wright[_3_]
Does anyone have a source for up to date info about this? I know things have changed in recent years. Bill
October 8th 17 05:54 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
8 58
Am I seeing things ? by Phi
The same programme with that awful Sugar fellow on BBC1 and BBC2 simultaneously (series 13.1 'Burgers)
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 6th 17 12:49 PM
by pamela Go to last post
15 80
Does live matter any more? by Brian Gaff
I was just musing over the current trend to watch on demand and was wondering what this will do to live events. after all in the old days people could watch most stuff live but nowadays its often a pay to view for sport or some other event, and thus nobody will want to talk to their mates as one will no doubt spill the beans about what happened in the latest instalment of something or sport...
October 5th 17 05:11 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 49
calling all physicists by Bill Wright[_3_]
Apparently shock waves can travel trough the air at speeds exceeding that or normal sounds. In that case, if an electromagnetic shock wave was generated could it travel faster than the speed of light? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 5th 17 05:00 PM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
58 153