Post New Thread
C4 account by Andy Burns[_12_]
How long has C4 required signing into an account to watch catchup on a smartTV? Do they honestly think anyone gives them useful details?
October 29th 16 10:07 AM
by brightside S9 Go to last post
7 209
On Topic: Latest 700 MHz plan by Mark Carver
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0031/92659/Maximising-the-benefits-of-700-MHz-clearance-Statement.pdf -- Mark Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 27th 16 10:26 PM
by Alan White[_3_] Go to last post
132 1,589
OT(ish) - Digital PVRs and external Internet access (botnets) by David[_13_]
All the DDoS attacks at the moment seem to be attributed mainly to Web Cams and DVRs. I can see that almost anything in the Digital TV arena now is likely to have an Internet connection for NetFlix, iPlayer and the like. What makes the DVRs a special case? Set up for remote control to schedule recordings when you are away from home?
October 27th 16 11:23 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
3 184
New BBC microbit computer by Phi
http://betanews.com/2016/10/19/bbc-microbit-computer-to-roll-out-globally/
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 24th 16 03:05 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
56 740
Getiplayer PVR web interface question - deleting *all trace* of a recording by NY
I've installed Getiplayer 2.97 which includes the text-based command-line backend and the web frontend. I've noticed that if I "record" (ie download) a programme and then delete it after watching, the actual MP4 files (and the associated SRT and XML files) are deleted, but the entry remains, greyed-out, in the Recordings list - see https://s13.postimg.org/wfp35or9z/Image1.png where all...
October 23rd 16 01:09 PM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
3 172
DysfunctionalLG Soundbar Remote. by Alaric
I have an LG LCD TV set Model 32LF77** which has both Freeview and Freesat tuners and is almost seven years old. I bought an LG soundbar almost two years ago and until recently it worked just fine using an optical connection and the sound bar remote to control the TV on/off, the sound mute and the sound volume. Recently, however, after an auto-retune of the DVT channels the sound volume...
October 23rd 16 11:06 AM
by Adrian Caspersz Go to last post
4 187
delay by Bill Wright[_3_]
The Channel Four coverage of the US Pres. Debate is several long seconds behind the BBC or Sky. Also they don't seem to have the reaction shots in a twin screen from the one who isn't speaking. What could be the course of these phenomena? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 21st 16 08:19 PM
by critcher[_6_] Go to last post
16 279
Aberfan broadcast by Bill Wright[_3_]
I remember ITN/TWW's live broadcast at teatime on the day of the disaster. A very snowy, flickering, picture; the reporter standing on the hill above where the school had stood, the camera panning across what looked like a moonscape. I wonder if that broadcast still exists. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 21st 16 08:17 PM
by critcher[_6_] Go to last post
10 313
the water analogy by Bill Wright[_3_]
I have a hosepipe with a tap on the end, fed from a tap on the wall. If I turn the tap on the wall off and then turn the tap at the end of the hose on there a momentary surge of water. But if I turn a switch off that feeds a wire then connect a lamp to the other end of the wire the lamp doesn't glow even momentarily. Does this mean the water analogy has failed, or can the surge of water be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 21st 16 06:06 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
38 712
Cone cameras by Brian Gaff
I've just invented these, they are at the level where they can get good views of the number plates for the apr system, so should aid motorway cops fine the transgressors. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 21st 16 04:13 PM
by Terry Casey[_2_] Go to last post
12 329
The bells at York by Bill Wright[_3_]
I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too. The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition he http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/allow-the-york-minster-bell-ringers-to-ring Thank you!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 21st 16 12:25 AM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
250 2,177
trouble with a French bank: advice? by Bill Wright[_3_]
An elderly relative planned to live in France but the plan failed, for reasons that are irrelevant here. He had deposited E10,000 in Bank Agricole when his plan fell through. Three months ago he asked for the money to be transferred to his English bank. Despite repeated requests he is getting nowhere. The bank seems to ignoring him, or stonewalling him. Is there any organisation in the UK...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 20th 16 05:19 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
51 690
The law by Bill Wright[_3_]
On 18/10/2016 12:19, Norman Wells wrote: The law, nevertheless, is on the side of those who suffer noise nuisance, not those causing it. The law is impartial. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 19th 16 11:55 PM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
16 377
Bletchely Park by Brian Gaff
On the mention of the bell ringers in the last thread, I was reminded of what has happened at this site, where a new 'guard' is in to handle the grants they got, and one of the things they did was to get rid of a lot of volunteers and shove a lot of exhibits behind glass and chuck out the local radio club and its vintage equipment exhibition from one of the huts. Seems corporate...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 17th 16 05:01 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
12 351
Interesting item by Woody[_5_]
For anyone who did not hear it I would suggest digging in iPlayer for an interview done my Jon Humphrys on the Today programme Saturday 15/10/16 at a little after 08:45 (so running time of 1hr 45m or thereabouts.) It was with Professor John Goodenough of the University of Texas at Austin. He is the man who invented Lithium-Ion batteries and at 94 he still works every day at the University....
October 16th 16 05:13 PM
by Peter Crosland Go to last post
1 163
Passwords on iPlayer by by February 2017 by [email protected]
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 12:00:45 -0400 S Viemeister wrote: On 10/4/2016 10:16 AM, wrote: Holland and the netherlands are interchangable terms in the UK in the same way that "america" substitutes for the USA even though it is actually an entire continent. You know this so stop being pedantic. No, it's more like the tendency to use 'England'...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 14th 16 08:46 AM
by Roland Perry Go to last post
94 929
Christmas is hear! by Brian Gaff
True Christmas is now broadcasting on Freeview. Isn't it great? No... I also noticed while flipping around last night that one of the jewellery selling channels has a programme called Chestnuts roasting on an Opal fire or something along those lines. Has that Bethlehem company started their selling yet on QVC? I'm sure Smoothe Christmas can be only a month or so away.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 13th 16 08:45 PM
by Benderthe.evilrobot Go to last post
15 343
Double standards by Brian Gaff
Recently I've become aware that radio phone ins are being sanitised far more than they used to be. Words like Bloody and crap are now not allowed and they don't even like you to mention Amazon either. However, on the telly, even before what is laughingly called the watershed, Bloody seems to be allowed as part of cockney speak, and the Moonbeam Song by Neilson is played on national radio,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 13th 16 08:26 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
30 599
Euronews -on Freesat by BobC[_3_]
Euronews seems top have disappeared from Freesat. I note that the Freesat Website no longer shows it as in their "News" lineup. No announcement, just disappeared. -- BobC ==========
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 12th 16 09:23 PM
by pamela Go to last post
26 1,637
SOT - connecting a dashcam to a TV by Jeff Layman[_2_]
I just replaced my dashcam as the old one wouldn't loop record. Other than that it seemed ok, so I wondered about using it as a video camera as it has an "AV" socket. The Chinglish manual isn't much help. All it refers to is setting either PAL or NTSC, and 50Hz or 60Hz. So I set it to PAL and 50Hz. The camera didn't come with any video connectors, but I have a 2.5mm jack plug with a short...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 11th 16 11:11 AM
by Jeff Layman[_2_] Go to last post
11 478