Post New Thread
Is there an 'on the fly' HTML5 converter so I don't have to use 'Flash' by Phi
Beeb seems to be delaying the change over to HTML5 for live programs on iPlayer.
June 1st 16 06:36 AM
by Phi Go to last post
6 323
Missing Freeview channels on new mux by sintv[_2_]
I had a couple of customers complaining that CBS Reality had moved and couldnt be received. I checked and there was a new mux on 32 - Kirk O' Shotts and 33 - Burntisland. When I installed a new aerial for another customer, 33 wasnt avaiable. I called Arqiva and was told there were no problems with reception. I then realised that I could pick up the mux on my HD PVR but not on my tv. Tried an HD...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 31st 16 04:48 PM
by charles[_2_] Go to last post
25 684
Early radio mikes by Bill Wright[_3_]
I've just been watching The Good Old days from 1973. Wilfred Pickles (for it was he!) had a radio mike. It was working because he bashed it and it made a noise. When were radio mikes first in common use? The show also included a half-caste girl who sang "I'm a Typical English Rose" to laughter and loud applause (it wouldn't be allowed today of course) and an hilarious plate-breaking routine...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 31st 16 08:40 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
10 302
slops in beer: update by Bill Wright[_3_]
Kath came round tonight; first time I've seen her since the 'incident'. Apparently the pub had a long steel trough behind the bar, behind all the pumps. In this trough were small plastic boxes, one to each pump position, that looked very much like margarine tubs. It was one of these, full to overflowing, that was poured into Brian's glass, which she then topped up from the pump. How long had...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 31st 16 08:07 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
26 371
Firkin autotune... by Vir Campestris
We've been getting dropouts on BBC4 the last few weeks, and I just got around to investigating. Turns out that while most of the channels are coming from Sandy Heath, which is line of site where the aerial is aimed, the BBC4HD mux is coming from Tacolneston. 120 degrees off beam, a lot further away, and the wrong side of the hill our house is built on.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 31st 16 08:01 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
13 304
Saltersgate auction by Brian Gaff
The thing is that planning is a very fickle thing. If you want to use it for anything like ham radio with masts etc, anyone locally, including the national park will probably stop you. There has to be a reason why the current owner has abandoned the conversion. I think there is also a clue in the inspection warning. It could well be that its been compromised safety wise due to the original...
May 31st 16 07:52 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
1 178
The Other Side of the Coin. by critcher[_6_]
Have a look at this website and then think about bias. http://www.thecanary.co/2016/05/06/the-abysmal-local-elections-coverage-shows-the-bbc-has-moved-beyond-bias-to-pure-propaganda/
May 30th 16 02:19 PM
by critcher[_6_] Go to last post
2 174
Chelsea Flower Show and the Beeb's subtitling by Davey
A couple of good ones today: The Queen was described as having good opportunity for assassination, sorry, fascination, while looking at the displays. Not a good mistake to make. And a little girl, who was preparing a posy to present to Her Majesty, was described as practising her pregnancy, er, curtsy. At least they were quickly rectified, but the damage was done.
May 30th 16 12:49 PM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
5 186
iPlayer no longer supported from September by David[_13_]
My Humax FoxSatHD-G popped up a warning the other day about iPlayer not being supported from this September. Using Google I can now find BBC info about which devices are going to be no longer supported. We haven't owned this for all that long - a few weeks over 3 years - so if we replace the box with a newer version is there any way to predict how long it will be before the BBC pulls the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 30th 16 08:39 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
10 678
Strange incident; could have been mains glitch. by Bill Wright[_3_]
At 2.20am approx this morning I was as it happens sitting at my PC but staring blankly at the wall in the general direction of the UPS for the PCs and the Sony FM radio. I was trying to compose a sentence. Thus I was in a good position to observe a brief event. The UPS clicked and switched to battery, then after approx 2 secs switched back to mains. However the lights, which are not on a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 29th 16 05:17 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
84 626
Look North strikes again by Sid.
I have disabled Windows search and use a program called 'Everything', it shows all files in 'users' folder for access.
May 29th 16 08:59 AM
by Mr Guest Go to last post
1 163
What are the local birds eating? by Brian Gaff
Recently I was given an old band III aerial and I thought I'd clean it up a and use it for dab. It had apparently been on the roof of a barn for some years, but as it was quite encrusted with bird droppings I gently scraped them off and discovered that they had eaten into the aluminium quit significantly. I wonder why this stuff does not rot the birds innards? Unfortunately, the dipole is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 29th 16 08:55 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
26 432
Strange Aerial by Indy Jess John
Standing at a bus stop waiting for a bus home earlier in the week. I was idly looking at the view opposite and noticed an unusual aerial on one house (the left hand one in this photo https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2dimgawvc36unv/aerial.jpg?dl=0 All the other houses in view had a yagi with the elements horizontal as the right hand house. So what is the fancy one for?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 28th 16 12:37 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
16 286
Late night TV - TV switching off by David[_13_]
Weirdness. My bedroom TV (Hitachi 42PD9700) generally seems to work O.K. - I have watched the F1 Grand Prix a couple of times, including recordings, all the way through. I don't usually watch it in the evening, though. However I occasionally make an exception for "Mock the Week" on BBC 2.
May 28th 16 09:15 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
4 181
Daftness on the telly by Bill Wright[_3_]
Last night on Calendar (that fount of all knowledge wisdom and truth) "CO2 is a fossil fuel..." and on Look North "Fracking is literally on these people's doorsteps as the site is only 600 metres from the village." The bias against fracking has been appalling. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 27th 16 08:35 PM
by Graham.[_13_] Go to last post
27 279
Sky Dish by Smolley[_3_]
Does anyone know what the included angle of reception is for a typical 44cm Sky Dish.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 27th 16 01:06 PM
by David[_13_] Go to last post
21 208
BBC to cut on-line recipes to save money by Vir Campestris
On 23/05/2016 11:30, charles wrote: there's a lot more to Eurovision than the song contest - thankfully The Vienna concerts are quite good. Andy
May 25th 16 08:03 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
0 145
How embarrassing by Bill Wright[_3_]
Our Humax PVR in the kitchen is quite new, but it started to misbehave. For instance it didn't recognise Look North and would never record it, but when I set it up manually (like in the olden days) it recorded it but called it 'The One Show'. There were other peculiarities, but the other main fault was that it would fail to record and claim there's been a power failure. "What ********!" I...
May 23rd 16 05:33 PM
by Graham.[_12_] Go to last post
5 180
Is; "********" a naughty word? by Ian Field
Recent episode of Star Trek DS9 aired before 9pm on Freeview CH64. Chief O'Brien had a mishap and let loose said expletive.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 22nd 16 09:08 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
74 861
As good as a Plasma TV? by David[_13_]
Due to circumstances we have two plasma TVs - one bought after much research (Panasonic) and one donated by "owner leaving the country" which (contrary to most used car ads for cheap cars) was true. The older Toshiba 46" plasma is "HD Ready" and doesn't have an HD tuner. It is also starting to turn itself off at annoyingly random intervals. Not sure if it is the TV or something else, but I am...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 22nd 16 05:31 PM
by David[_13_] Go to last post
11 267