Post New Thread
High pressure and Freeview by Brian Gaff
I noticed over the last few days, that vhf and uhf signals on my scanner are showing all the signs of tropo effects, ie well over the radio horizon reception as is often the case this time of year with temperature inversions common. However last night on the radio they put out a message from Freeview saying that the atmospherics had been causing lots of break up and badly pixelated TV. ...
November 5th 17 07:17 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
8 28
Terrible iPlayer response by Davey
Last night, I tried to watch Robot Wars on iPlayer using my Humax, but kept getting a 'Sorry, there is something wrong' message. Whatever I did, I could not make iPlayer work. I then tried get-iplayer on the PC, and it downloaded the programme, but at the speed of a lazy snail. I could almost count the bits being transferred. This morning, iPlayer is still useless. Like last night, it...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 5th 17 02:25 PM
by David[_14_] Go to last post
54 90
How many types of screens are there? by Brian Gaff
I was just wondering a person I know was asking me if I knew as almost every telly in the shops right now claims their screen is the best. Some use leds, some use lcds some use different methods of back lights some claim extra pixels of another colour to make pictures look more real and all sorts of other combinations. I suggested that get the one that looks the best for your budget. Check...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 4th 17 10:05 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
44 67
A better YouTube receiver by TonyGamble
We are now spending more time watching YouTube than BBC or ITV. I can feed it to my Panasonic plasma with either my Humax HDR 1105 or my Amazon Firestick. The former is hard wired to by broadband and the Firestick relies on the WiFi from my router. First problem is that neither support HDCP 2.0 and that is what I need to rent an HDTV from YouTube. Second is that both suffer from delays when...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 3rd 17 03:59 PM
by TonyGamble Go to last post
38 112
Copying files from Humax PVR by Bob[_12_]
The PVR is a Humax PVR Fox T2 and there are a number of programmes on it that I wish to keep for posterity. I tried to copy them to a Seagate USB drive but whilst it 'saw' the drive it would not write the files to it as the format was 'not compatible'. The drive is Seagate is NTFS format and readable/writable through Windows and Linux OSs so what format do I need, please, to copy files to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 3rd 17 11:11 AM
by Scoob72 Go to last post
37 114
Problems with iPlayer/Handbrake/Humax by Davey
I am having trouble producing a subtitled version of a BBC programme, which works on my Humax HDR Fox T2, with Customised Firmaware. I download a file from the BBC, with subtitles, with get-iplayer. I then have two files, one an .mp4, the other an .srt. Fine. I then use Handbrake, the accepted programme to convert files, and it produces a file .m4v. This should work when copied to the PVR. But...
November 2nd 17 01:17 AM
by Davey Go to last post
0 16
Spanish language channels (URGENT!) by Bill Wright[_3_]
Does anyone have any info about Spanish satellite TV? What Free to Air and Free to View channels are there (roughly)? I'm getting conflicting info from some suppliers. In the case of Free to View how do you deal with the encryption? Bill
November 1st 17 05:54 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
5 20
Central speaker, Dolby and HDMI by TonyGamble
I am using an HDMI splitter for my Firestick. With it I can send the video to my plasma panel and the audio to my surround sound av kit. I have a central speaker as a lot of dialogue goes there and it gets lost if one relies on the front left/right speakers. I have a NEET HDMI switcher and it produdes sound from that central speaker - as well as those at the sides and through the sub woofer. I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 1st 17 02:43 PM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
14 28
MSF radio clocks. by Ian Field
The least reliable MSF clock did what it was supposed to when the clocks went back - so reception conditions must be good ATM. Retuned the PVR - now have all the channels where they should be.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 1st 17 12:21 PM
by Davey Go to last post
73 74
Way OT - F1 and Valtteri Bottas by David[_14_]
Well, I have been watching F1 on a digital TV :-) There has been a load of excitement over the race for the F1 championship (resolved in Mexico). Lewis Hamilton again. Valtteri Bottas seems to have been completely ignored. He is 15 points behind Sebastian Vettel with 2 races to go. He gained 8 points in the last race.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 31st 17 03:44 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
11 30
Virgin Tivo - how many versions? by David[_14_]
Following on from streaming problems with iPlayer on our Samsung Tivo box, it occurred to me to look and see if there was a newer version of the hardware. Just in case the poor streaming was a hardware issue. http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/set-top-boxes-and-apps.html shows a TV V6 box powered by Tivo. "Say hello to the Virgin TV V6 box, powered by TiVo® – our smallest, smartest,...
October 30th 17 11:14 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
6 34
OT Repair of Sony AV S800 Home Theater System by Davidm
I've got a Sony DAV S800 Home Theater System that has a problem and needs repairing. It's a CD/DVD player, FM tuner and 5 channel surround sound amp, and the front left speaker output has a temperature (I think) related problem, in that it doesn't start working until the unit has been switched on for 10 minutes or so, after which it's fine. I've tried swopping speaker connections on the back of...
October 28th 17 10:06 AM
by Davidm Go to last post
5 25
FM stereo tuners - Xpost (OTish) by David[_14_]
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner. Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the 1970s. If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g. iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView. So is there any real use for a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 27th 17 09:33 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
132 171
Digital/Analogue Connections by Jeff Gaines
My Panasonic DMR-EX85 is broken, half a dozen or so blown caps. Looking at replacements but many now have co-axial or optical digital audio outputs (one has HDMI audio only). I have a Cambridge Azur 650A amp which suits me fine but analogue input only. Are digital to analogue converters any good (10-20 on Amazon) or is it time for an amp change? If i have to update my amp am I likely to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 27th 17 11:24 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
52 91
Aerial Diplex Plate by Jeff Gaines
Not sure if I'm using the right terminology here so please bear with me! I live in a retirement development with 24 properties and a communal aerial. The aerial is wired to all the properties and carries Freeview, DAB and what looks like an old FM band3 (?) aerial. It has masthead amps and a distribution box and the cables run through our lofts to provide 4 outlets in each property. DAB is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 25th 17 07:28 PM
by Adrian Caspersz Go to last post
24 44
'Cracking' TS files by PeterC
Right, thanks to recent guidance I've flashed the Fosxsat HDR with the custome firmware and done some setting up. Transferring a 2.66GB HD file took about 8 minutes (would have been about 2 hours as a d/l!). Now, of course, I can't play it with anything and none of the software I have will recognise it to convert it to any other format. I thought I had some info on doing this but can't find it....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 25th 17 08:11 AM
by PeterC Go to last post
16 61
Timecode on programme-as-broadcast archive material by NY
This is probably a weird, obsessive question... I've noticed that if you see a programme from a tape archive (eg BBC's Windmill Road) with burnt-in timecode, the TC often begins at 10:00:00 rather than 00:00:00. An example is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf3zE0x_dkI Is there a reason why they chose to begin the TC at a "zero" of 10:00:00?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 24th 17 04:23 PM
by Graham.[_12_] Go to last post
29 81
iPlayer buffering - VM by David[_14_]
At the moment we are suffering from repeated buffering on iPlayer. This happens on our VM Tivo box, and also on the Humax FreeSat box. We should have enough bandwidth on the Internet connection; a reliable 160 Mb/sec+ is reported by various test tools. Although the Tivo seems to have its own Internet connection I can't see that it should be that much slower; anyway this is happening on the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 24th 17 01:54 PM
by Phi Go to last post
15 51
What is worse than not having Audio description? by Brian Gaff
A programme that says it has it in the guide, it flags it on the programmes as it runs but the AD track is totally silent. Pick did this a couple of nights ago. Stargate -1 or whatever said it had it. Maybe it used to have it, but not on the one they put out. I thought it unusual as none of the others in that series had it. Brian --
October 24th 17 09:13 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
5 40
Samsung's invisible "One Connect" box by Jeff Layman[_2_]
I was in John Lewis today, admiring the picture on a Samsung 75" QLED curved TV (QE75Q8CAMT - yours for just over 5 grand!). What interested me was just how thin it was - less than 15mm all round. It was completely smooth on the back, save for the stand fixing. There were only two leads, carefully exiting down from the stand support - a thin, flat cable (mains) and a 3 mm diameter cable....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 20th 17 01:18 PM
by Jeff Layman[_2_] Go to last post
14 57