Post New Thread
TV socket charge up by Brian-Gaff
I was plugging the aerial back in the back of a reasonably modern telly last week and got a bit of a shock, well quite a big one actually off the socket and the plug. the plug goes straight to an aerial, no amps or anything so the whole thing has to be electrostatic I guess. I had assumed once crts went that none of this sort of charging would happen but it seems not. Brian -- From the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 4th 17 01:43 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
62 69
nocturnal signal problem by Tim+[_4_]
A local lady is having an odd problem with her TVs at night. Here are her two recent messages to a neighbourhood network group. 1) Hi everyone , If anyone has had similar problems with their tv can you advise how it was rectified. An expert has looked at our equipment which feeds 9 flats and the cause could be two different equipment faults one being very expensive. I have also heard that the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 3rd 17 09:06 PM
by Dave W Go to last post
14 35
crap tv generally by Brian Gaff
Here is the thing. We have all these channels but the actual number of programs worth watching is still about the same as when we only had four. The question is, who watches the endless repeats and more importantly the imported us junk like ancient aliens, and unsolved mysteries and Ghost encounters and Cake wars and and and. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 3rd 17 06:56 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
21 39
A couple of quick Qs about freesat... by Tim+[_4_]
My sister has moved into a rented house in the middle of nowhere with b*gger all terrestrial reception but it does have a dish with a double cable. I presume this means that she can use a freesat box or PVR with twin tuners? (I know nothing about sat). She may only be in this property for a few months so may not want to invest too much in a freesat pvr. Can anyone recommend a decent budget...
April 2nd 17 10:33 AM
by R. Mark Clayton[_2_] Go to last post
9 112
Hopeless at maths by Bill Wright[_3_]
I'm hopeless at maths, but I'm trying to get something across to an intelligent child. So, if the distance from here to London (250km) is represented by the thickness of a hair (0.2mm) how far is a light year? It doesn't have to be a hair; it could be anything familiar and small. It's 2.5 million light years to the Andromeda Galaxy; that's what we're discussing. Help!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 1st 17 11:43 AM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
30 58
Long gaps short range by Brian Gaff
I noticed the other night during coverage of the Westminster bridge silent vigil that there seemed to be almost as much delay in the interview with the reporter as you might expect if it was going on in the usa. I find it really annoyin when you get these delays, and the thing is we never used to have it, so what is going on here? is the delay in the digital processing or what? Brian -- ...
March 30th 17 05:42 PM
by Jeff Layman[_2_] Go to last post
6 23
Humax FVP-4000T Dimensions by Bill Ward[_2_]
Can someone tell me the dimensions of the Humax FVP-4000T Bill.
March 30th 17 11:17 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
9 20
Fly tipping by Brian Gaff
Bill if you crosspost many news servers won't let you reply to both groups any more. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff... Blind user, so no pictures please!
March 27th 17 02:04 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
8 24
Freeview Play and subscription channels by Bill Ward[_2_]
Can the Humax FVP-4000T get subscription channels like Racing UK and At The Races. Bill.
March 25th 17 09:53 PM
by Bill Ward[_2_] Go to last post
5 32
Smart talk replacement remote controls by Brian Gaff
Does anyone know if its possible to get these? I ask as I know in the past on here folk have suggested that people get a remote that can be taught what to do. Sadly for a blind person they get used to the buttons shapes and positions. These remotes are the weak link in this basic device since the bits of debris from the rubber buttons get into the wells for the contacts and stop them...
March 24th 17 07:55 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
3 21
ch4 plus 1 during news by Brian Gaff
Yesterday, a short time into the news, early evening the whole thing went orf. Well it was still getting a signal but it was blank and no sound. Most peculiar. It came back suddnly later in the news. I was not around to see if the non plus 1 had it as well. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
March 24th 17 06:28 AM
by Mark Carver[_2_] Go to last post
3 32
This content does not seem to be working by Phi
Halfway through Attenborough on the Great Barrie Reef on iPlayer through Browser, it just stops dead. Had near perfect streaming up to this point. I had to restart, but not from where I left off.
March 23rd 17 09:13 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
1 27
Freesat EPG and ch. 4 etc. by PeterC
All of the EPG is OK for 7 days except for Ch. 4, it's clones and some, I assume, associated channels. These are OK for 5 days only. Any idea why, please? It's a bit of a nuisance as I like to check what's on in a week's timeon each day. -- Peter. The gods will stay away whilst religions hold sway
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 23rd 17 07:57 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
14 39
TV system conversion by Bill Wright[_3_]
At the time when when I was a baby the only way was to point a camera at a screen. Results were unimpressive. By 1964 things had moved on and conversion was electronic. The equipment had 2,000 transistors and occupied two full height racks. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=5266568 I have just bought a gadget that converts TVI and AHD to HDMI, VGA, and CVBS. It handles 720p...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 22nd 17 12:36 PM
by NY Go to last post
40 77
serving the public by Bill Wright[_3_]
For many years I've used a particular butcher. I must have spent thousands in that shop. I believe in building up a relationship. Yesterday I asked for something I often buy: beef dripping (it makes fantastic roasties). "Don't keep it any more." "Why?" "Not many people wanted it." He shrugged and turned away. I was going to say, "Well I buy it," or something like that, but then I thought,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 21st 17 09:56 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
54 93
Weird channel anomaly by Pinnerite
My incoming aerial signal is amplified after it enters my loft. It feeds down through the first floor to the ground floor where it is fed into a socket on a TBS dual tuner card in a computer serving as an HTPC. This has an output socket from which a cable feeds a Samsung Smart TV sited above it.. Recently one of the channels on the TV said that CBS Drama had moved and to retune. We did,...
March 19th 17 03:13 PM
by pinnerite Go to last post
2 35
Redifuson switcher by Bill Wright[_3_]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwoke4pvkwpetll/redif%2001.jpg?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8qt9kajhcs5k0c/redif%2002.jpg?dl=0 Wasn't there some discussion here about the old cable TV systems? Here are two pictures of the switch that they used to mount on the windowsill. Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 18th 17 01:22 PM
by Graham.[_12_] Go to last post
13 48
get_iplayer cannot get metadata since 13th March (Monday afternoon) by Johnny B Good[_2_]
Hello group. I've not been able to update the index since Monday afternoon. Requesting the full TV listing (piped to a text file) reveals an index with less than 7000 entries, none later than about 2pm last Monday. If I try to force a list of *added* entries by looking for "channel patrol", it comes up empty. It looks like either something's screwed up my installation of get_iplayer...
March 17th 17 02:32 AM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
7 8
Please recommend a DTT PVR by fred[_3_]
My ageing mum has just moved house to no Sky (and box with record) - DTT only. Please recommend a PVR. I believe I saw one in Tesco at ~ 130. Simplicity of use (not masses of features) is paramount. Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 16th 17 08:02 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
23 57
Upgrade on Humax You view box by Dean Jackson
How are users finding the recent menu upgrade that is being introduced to Youview boxes? I much preferred the old menu list system. D.J.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 14th 17 08:28 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
17 69