Post New Thread
The bells by Brian Gaff
When you hear the chimes of Westminster on the news at the start, I presume this is a recording is it. They would need some very good timings otherwise, which begs the question of the recent news that the clock mechanism is going to be serviced along with the clock faces and the rest of the building in stages. so when they take the mechanism out of service, do they have a set of speakers or...
May 11th 17 04:22 PM
by Chris Hogg Go to last post
9 36
I'm still annoyed about this, 45 years later by Scott[_2_]
On Tue, 2 May 2017 09:17:48 +0100, "Brian Gaff" wrote: A definite case of RTFM, the question is, what function did this lock serve? Was it to stop people taking pictures of the inside of their luggage? Brian Well, I'm still annoyed that my mother threw out all the boxes for my train set in 1965.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 11th 17 01:13 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
85 179
Older Samsung TV and kiosk mode by [email protected]
Readers may remember that I was trying to put a combined webpage and picture-in-picture on an older Samsung TV. I discovered that this TV, a C-series, was smart but not smart enough to allow control using the never web based Samsung 'remotes'. I tried controlling in via IR but this was unreliable. Well I've recently discovered that you can control these TVs using a computer serial connection...
0 31
get_iplayer 3.00 released by Pete Forman[_2_]
get_iplayer 3.00 for Windows and other systems was released yesterday. The main feature is: Restored functionality broken by the BBC Some features that were deprecated previously have now gone. Caching has been revised, you will need to rebuild. https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release300
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
38 39
OT ridiculous dog incident by Bill Wright[_3_]
I put Bella's dinner down on the floor and she came trotting in. Nose down and she started to munch, then suddenly backed of a bit, then a bit more, then she scrabbled across the kitchen in obvious alarm, the bowl following her as if by magic. She jumped onto my chair and sat there looking scared and peering at her dinner bowl, which was still on the floor. Afterwards Hil found a tiny but...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
18 57
Adverts click and collect etc by Brian Gaff
Have you noticed that many tv commercials now only give web addresses for info? Also when a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores they need to go on line and then they can pick it up from the store. this seems a strange route to go in on underwear and shoes as these are things people ooften need to see...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 7th 17 07:41 AM
by Ian Jackson[_7_] Go to last post
47 101
BBC Sports Site by PeterC
I have some feeds from the BBC - not the Sports site as such, but there are some articles in other feeds that cover sport. Every headline to the Sports site goes to the basic page, then clicking on any link has either no effect (just refreshes the page) or is 'false' (clicking on Athletics went to Top Gear - that's obscene!). Any idea what's going on? Also, is it possible to get a BBC feed that...
May 3rd 17 02:10 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
5 48
Youview box - can it be used without internet? by Mike Tomlinson[_2_]
Picked up a Huawei model DN360T Youview box new and unused, boxed with all the cables and remote, at a car boot for a quid. I had been hoping to use it as an ordinary Freeview box and to play media from a stick or disk plugged into the USB socket. It won't let me get past the initial setup, demanding a working internet connection before it'll do anything else. Can this...
May 2nd 17 06:45 PM
by Ian Field Go to last post
7 53
Aerial riggers I have known. Part One: Jimmy by Bill Wright[_3_]
Aerial riggers I have known Part One: Jimmy It was a long time ago in a strange land called Doncaster. Jimmy had a Beatles haircut and Rolf Harris glasses. His wife had a shop and she used to keep him, really, because his efforts to install aerials can’t have ever made much money. He spent most of his time going back to jobs and trying to get the customer a decent TV picture. He had some...
May 1st 17 08:10 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
6 44
What news of the metadata? by Brian Gaff
My wbie I player app is still telling me 404 nott found or no data available. Have they put up any indication of what they are doing at the Beeb, they must surely realise that disabled users use this data? Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 30th 17 11:36 AM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
15 89
FS: Topfield TF5810 PVR by Mike Tomlinson[_2_]
I have a Topfield TF5810 for sale if anyone here is interested before it goes to ebay. Good working order, 1TB disk, HDMI out, latest Toppy.org.uk recommended firmware, MyStuff 6.2 installed, remote, RF loop-through lead, manual, original box. PSU recently re-capped. 40 quid + P&P at cost. Can deliver within 30 miles of CH45 The email address works.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 29th 17 11:48 PM
by Michael Chare[_5_] Go to last post
10 74
Audio description now harder to get at and complaints forms being stupidly complex by Brian Gaff
I managed to watch Horizon, but I'm assuming they have abandoned AD as nowhere on the page could I see any ref other than a ply link Also went to complaints and got the run around one question per page. After the third page and having to find the field on each I said a rude word and closed the browser. What was wrong with a list of departments a s subject field email address and a field...
April 29th 17 04:07 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 50
Can one still get aerial rotators? by Brian Gaff
Ones that don't cost an arm and a leg and have a knob on the controller so one can tell where its pointed? The old Stolle ones were perfectly adaquate with the bearing, but seem to be no longer made. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 29th 17 05:45 AM
by PLC Go to last post
26 82
Lower frequency usage by Brian Gaff
How is it that we do not use the lower frequencies we used to use for tv, for tv again? Even one multiplex is better than none. OK so the aerials are big, and perhaps propogation is a bit of an issue at times, but much of band 1 seems to be empty now. Perhaps use it for fm instead? I've yet to see any kind of enthusiasm for moving over to dab en masse by fm stations. Brian --
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 28th 17 11:20 PM
by tony sayer Go to last post
21 121
Vodafone scraps roaming charges, but not in UK. by charles[_2_]
In article , Martin wrote: On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:41:10 +0100, "Woody" wrote: "Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message ... Tweed wrote in :
April 28th 17 12:16 PM
by S Viemeister[_2_] Go to last post
5 43
freesat box unused input by Stephen[_7_]
Hello, I have a freesat box that has two inputs but there is only one cable going into the bedroom. Not wanting to climb ladders and fit new LNB and cable etc. just yet, what should do with the unused input? The manual says nothing. Do I leave it alone or should it be terminated? It is a Humax 1010S. I have one downstairs which has both inputs connected and it is fine. The one upstairs is not...
April 27th 17 12:33 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
9 55
Crock.Pot by Dave W
"Woody" wrote in message ... My Management (SWMBO) is thinking of buying a CrockPot slow cooker to use whilst our Aga is off during the summer and in the caravan whilst we are away. The unit is rated 1200W which with a 6A supply limit on many European sites is sailing a bit close to the wind. The device is rated as having...
April 27th 17 11:38 AM
by Dave W Go to last post
5 53
iPlayer metadata AWOL again! by Johnny B Good[_2_]
Earlier this afternoon (26th) I noticed a total absence of metadata when trying to update the tv listings. I made do with grabbing the pids from the Beeb's TV scheduling web pages to grab the media files with get_iplayer. The downloaded files are simply given names made up by GIP but for me, this is only a minor problem since I copy and paste the names from the off-air recordings that I make...
April 27th 17 07:07 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
2 68
Satellite & Terrestrial Calculators by Java Jive[_2_]
Some of you may have noticed that over recent months I've been making some gradual changes to my site. Although, many have been 'transparent' to the visitor, such as replacing common bits of coding by Server Side Includes, which merely make the site much easier to manage from my point of view, others, such as having fixed navigators at the top of each page, hopefully are better for the visitor...
April 26th 17 11:36 AM
by Java Jive[_2_] Go to last post
2 41
Any Topfield experts out there? by Eddie King[_2_]
Hi all, my trusty Topfield 7700 seems on its way out. The story is as follows: a few months ago, it forgot its stored channels, I did a re-scan and arranged the channels in the order I required. This seemed to work until yesterday, when I tried to record a programm and found that the Toppy wouldn't accept any remote control commands (apart from off) so I couldn't access the
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 24th 17 07:47 PM
by Mike Tomlinson[_2_] Go to last post
10 148