Post New Thread
Termites in the cable? by Brian Gaff
Yesterday I was outside idly musing on whether to get that loft aerial looked at or just buy the new one, when I heard this tiny ticking noise. Putting my ear against the coax I could plainly hear minute clicks. No I'm not suggesting that some unknown creature is devouring it from the inside, although it would most certainly explain the failure, but wondered what was causing it. there is no...
3 169
The worlds most affordable TV wall mount by Adrian Caspersz
Holds 10 kgs for a quid! Yes, just a quid. Hurry while we still have an economy that can produce, distribute and sell such marvels!!! Probably better suited for small PC monitor use - those that has 100x100 vesa holes. Maybe can use to support a Raspberry Pi on the back? Derision, screams and predictable wails here .. ...
June 18th 16 07:13 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
2 155
Signal reception finder by Bob[_12_]
We holiday around the Uk quite a bit and sometimes have problems finding the best TV signal to retune the TV to. Looking on Google gives a whole load of signal finders with prices a from a few to many pounds. Would someone (Bill maybe?) point me in the direction of a cheap but good signal finder that we could carry around with us to aid retuning. TIA
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 17th 16 12:20 PM
by Max Demian Go to last post
27 374
venerable TS21 by Bill Wright[_3_]
The customer had been drinking: that much was quite obvious. However he was the cheery sort of drunk. He welcomed us into his parlour and offered us a drink. "Don't be so silly Ernest! They have to climb up onto the roof!" "Oh yeah, sorry guys! After the roof bit then eh?" He smiled a red-faced glassy smile and then turned to the matter at hand. "t'bugger's fell down! Nearly fell off...
June 16th 16 08:31 PM
by Vir Campestris Go to last post
3 176
a thought about York by Bill Wright[_3_]
This afternoon I sat in my luxuriously appointed motorhome in the Tesco car park at York eating my lunch. I idly flicked through the TV channels having not bothered to raise or orientate the aerial. I was vaguely surprised to see perfect reception from Made in Leeds, the Leeds local channel. Only vaguely surprised because I know the Emley Moor transmission of that local mux sends a lot of...
June 16th 16 06:19 PM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
5 313
"Rabbit" video extender - 80s technology by jamie powell
Visiting a uni friend at her parents' house today, I was intrigued to find an 'old-skool' video extender device installed in her bedroom. Branded 'Rabbit' and dated 1985, the system consists of two silver boxes - a mains-powered one in the lounge with phono composite video and stereo audio inputs, and a second box in the bedroom with an RF-out socket (plus thin-wire loop-thru for an optional...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 16th 16 10:03 AM
by Max Demian Go to last post
29 686
Nothing else happened today by Bill Wright[_3_]
I've had BBC News on in the background for hours and it's all been about the death from old age of a foreign sportsman. The BBC makes me sick. They are going on and on about how he fought for civil rights, how he was a black icon, etc etc. No mention of the fact that he was a segregationist. https://youtu.be/S1Y693cSF7E Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 16th 16 02:39 AM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
23 320
Flies: the idle thoughts of an idle man by Bill Wright[_3_]
Whilst watching digital TV I became annoyed by the dumbing down, so I commenced watching the flies. They just fly around, don't they? But why do they do it? Why do they keep swerving onto a new course? It must be quite tiring. Why don't they just sit around? Maybe most of them are doing just that, but we don't see them. I have a can of fly spray and I like to pretend I'm a World War II...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 15th 16 04:36 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
12 270
Rear view camera oddity by Tim+[_4_]
In our motorhome, single colour orange road markings always appear as stripes of three colours, yellow on one side, orange in the middle and red on the other. If this just chromatic aberration in the lens or is there another reason.? Just curious. https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6wsdu4auy52f26/File%2010-06-2016%2C%2016%2043%2005.jpeg?dl=1 Tim
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 13th 16 08:38 PM
by NY Go to last post
28 353
Passive entertainment by Brian Gaff
Talking about being idle and looking for entertainment, a thing increasingly lacking in modern media, made me wonder why we do it? After all the bloke in his cave way back was probably far too busy making sure he was warm and safe to have time to do much else. OK you say who drew those cave paintings? Well he was just decorating like we do to make things look nice for when he hauled his...
1 150
So you think you have a receiving problem? by Brian Gaff
I was reading something on line the other day from a number of residents who live near the town centre of a town near me. They have suddenly realised that the building height of a development nearby is right in line of sight to the Astra Satalite they all get Sky or freesat from. Ithink they are angling to get the developers to pay for them some alternate way to get the service. Thing is I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 10th 16 10:01 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
21 269
BBC Two opt-outs by Scott[_2_]
Does anyone know if the BBC still plans to make BBC Two a UK-wide service, ending the opt-outs for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland? I wonder where this will leave the 'factual programmes designed specifically for audiences in Scotland' as the 2014 service review puts it (ie programmes that do not attract a high enough audience to justify risking the BBC One market share).
June 10th 16 08:28 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
9 206
Whilst watching digital TV by Bill Wright[_3_]
Whilst watching digital TV I saw John Major say, “...one minute the leave campaign are saying immigrants are forcing wages down but they then say Turkish immigrants would flood here for those same low wages…” The BBC's Andrew Marr ignored the obvious fact that lower UK wages would still be higher than Turkish wages and let him get away with this ********. Bias! Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 9th 16 10:21 PM
by Ian Jackson[_2_] Go to last post
28 299
How the west was won by Bill Wright[_3_]
Superb 1962 film on BBC2 today. Interestingly it was occasionally possible to see the joins between the three Cinerama pictures. But mostly it wasn't. How did they do that? I don't know which restored version the BBC used, but the result was breathtaking. It makes a pleasant change from some films shown on TV, in which the technical quality has been dire. Some of the old monochrome British...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 9th 16 04:45 PM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
36 320
Young people and mirrors: the idle thoughts of an idle man by Bill Wright[_3_]
Do all phones show a mirror image when you look at yourself, but save the file as a not-a-mirror-image, like mine does? I was wondering if some phones don't, so people get used to seeing a not-a-mirror-image, it will confuse learner drivers... Our brains automatically allow for an image being mirrored. What if it isn't, but only sometimes? Bill
June 7th 16 09:55 PM
by Max Demian Go to last post
7 294
Comprehensively dumbed down speed test for consumers to beat up theirISP with by Adrian Caspersz
https://fast.com/ details: https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/now-available-globally-fast-com-a-new-tool-to-check-your-internet-speed -- Adrian C
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
June 4th 16 11:42 AM
by Peter Duncanson Go to last post
119 564
BBC Music day? by Brian Gaff
I did wonder what the point of this really was? after all bbc plays music every day, maybe they want to do more live music, but before they do that they need to invest in some sound engineers instead of pre-emptive limiters and crappy low bit rate feeds. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
June 4th 16 08:00 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
1 137
Roberts Stream 93i update by phil m
My Roberts 93i has just had a software update and now gets BBC podcasts - I'm listening to last week's Sound of the 60s podcast, though there only seems to be the latest show available at the moment. Phil
June 4th 16 07:03 AM
by Alan White[_3_] Go to last post
5 437
Scrambling mystery by Tim+[_4_]
We're currently touring Norway in our motorhome and watching the local terrestrial digital TV. Normally we get a small handful of unscrambled channels and a huge pile of scrambled ones that we can't watch. Oddly though, in one fjord, we found that we could watch all the scrambled channels (at least as defined in the EPG with an "S" after the channel number). How can this be? Just curious.
June 3rd 16 05:18 PM
by Chris Hogg Go to last post
9 175
Crackdown on tv pirate devices by Aloysius
'Police in Scotland say they are conducting the world's biggest 'pirate box' crackdown. Together with the Federation Against Copyright Theft, police are targeting sellers of Android-style set-top boxes and believe that thousands of pubs could be customers. In addition, three torrent sites have been closed...
June 2nd 16 04:30 PM
by Andrew Rowland[_2_] Go to last post
9 205
Post New Thread