Post New Thread
Help with TV please by Mr Pounder Esquire
A while ago we were given a Logic 22" LED TV. The guy who gave it to us said that it belong to his mother and it was not switching on. She bought a new one. I plugged it in and it worked fine. She did not want it back. The wife is not too good and has been watching this telly in bed. She goes to bed early :-( I watch very little telly. She insists that the power to the telly is turned off on...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 4th 16 12:33 AM
by Graham.[_12_] Go to last post
30 462
Static rain by Brian Gaff
A few days ago when we had that really very hot weather and a few half hearted attempts at rain. my scanning radio on mose vhf and uhf frequencies was producing ticking noises that got faster as the rain fell faster. I understand this is static rain but just what is discharging to what and if its that charged why do not we get lightening instead? I've often pondered this. Back in the old...
September 3rd 16 02:00 PM
by Bill Wright[_3_] Go to last post
9 212
Just got round to it by Bill Wright[_3_]
I've just spent some time renaming files. The file names can have more than eight characters now, can't they? Bill
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 3rd 16 07:21 AM
by Indy Jess John Go to last post
38 387
Hawes hidden by Bill Wright[_3_]
I watched the Country Bus programme tonight. It was very good. The bus went up Swaledale and then across Buttertubs to Hawes, and then further up Wensleydale. There was one mystery. All the way through Hawes the camera was on the driver, so apart from a few shop fronts whizzing past we didn't see Hawes at all. This seems very strange because the buildings around the market place are very...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 2nd 16 04:22 PM
by NY Go to last post
55 539
Are You Being Duped? by Graham.[_12_]
Why couldn't they have got authentic telephones? https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/DHs6L1 Mrs Slocome's is clearly a prop-man's mash-up. I thought Mr Granger's looked like something I had seen before, but the hookswitch would have to defy gravity. https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/DHs6L1
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 1st 16 12:53 PM
by Graham.[_12_] Go to last post
28 397
Interesting Read by Phi
http://www.techhive.com/article/3112868/home-tech/why-your-home-theater-pc-still-cant-stream-4k-ultra-hd-video.html
August 31st 16 11:15 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
1 171
Marginal TV reception by Vir Campestris
We're 25 miles or so from the transmitter (Sandy). Near us there are some that are almost at out height - and with trees on them. We've had some problems with signal dropout - and my wife suspects it's on windy days. So it's probably the trees messing with the signal... Is there anything we can do short of building a mast ourselves, or taking a chainsaw to an entire hilltop? Andy
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 30th 16 09:26 PM
by Paul Ratcliffe Go to last post
39 406
BBC Four HD on Freeview by Max Demian
Has anyone managed to tune into BBC Four HD on Freeview channel 106 since the Olympics? It's said to have 'moved' (I think back to COM7): my Sony TV, which usually updates itself, doesn't have a channel 106, but it does have CBeebies HD (which timeshares with BBC Four HD) on channel 124. I want to make sure it's really there before I attempt to retune my Humax Fox.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 27th 16 11:40 PM
by Davey Go to last post
41 751
The girl who says 'no' by Bill Wright[_3_]
Me: Have you got any four by four posts, but long ones, maybe three and a half metres? Girl in timber yard office (who has been needlessly obstructive on several previous occasions): No. Me: What's the longest you've got? Girl: We might have some ten foot. Not sure. Might only have eight foot. Me: Well can you cut me some longer ones? Girl: How can we make long ones from short ones? Me: I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 27th 16 07:30 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
103 649
DAB messing about again by Brian Gaff
What is it with stations on DAB they get a slot they last maybe a few months to a year, then suddenly vanish without any notice. Jack and Jack 2 seem to have done this. The former of these used to break the mould and play stuff from all sorts of artists, as they put it, we play what we want. Quit entertaining I found. Also of course more messing about on Freeview means that My 5 is now...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 27th 16 06:55 PM
by pamela Go to last post
39 443
Someone talk me out of this madness by Graham.[_12_]
I've saw a 1949 vintage Cossor model 916 in an antiq^H^H^H^H^HJunk shop window and I am thinking of buying it as a restoration project. I have already downloaded the circuit, and some ideas for a generating 405 line pictures. It appears that Kat Manton off http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum did some work on this about 10 years ago and achieved what many thought was impossible; a PC based...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 24th 16 07:48 PM
by Max Demian Go to last post
12 311
Digiguide by [email protected]
I had the same problem, I can't even find them on the Apple App Store as I tried to reload the App. Has anyone got an answer please?
August 23rd 16 03:52 PM
by NY Go to last post
2 165
Program times and reminders by Brian Gaff
It seems that the broadcasters renown pretty lax with their start times. I often put reminders on my box to allow me to switch even a new thing I want is about to start, but of late the thing has already started by the time I hear the reminder, or its the other way around of course. So you either miss both end of one and start of second or have time o kill or any variation of those. It...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 23rd 16 02:48 AM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
19 289
Olympics by Woody[_5_]
Does anyone know what the BBC is using for links back to the UK? When doing live interviews with reporters out there the delay seems very short so I would assume not satellite. Fibre? Also, can someone explain to me why they had to send local reporters (i.e. Tayna Arnold* from Look North Leeds)? *On CIN one year Harry Gration said 'and now over to Tanya in Sheffield..' and the subtitle came...
August 22nd 16 03:14 PM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
7 214
ITV playing games by Phi
Don't be alarmed if you can't get access to ITV channels from 9.30 am on Saturday, as they're going off air for a very good reason. For one hour, the broadcaster is turning off ALL of its seven channels in a bid to shift us from our sofas. Instead, they're hoping that we go and exercise to celebrate the Rio Olympics - and that's exactly the message that those who tune into the channels will...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 21st 16 09:51 PM
by Johnny B Good[_2_] Go to last post
26 325
ffmpeg and VLC versus 50fps by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
I've started experimenting with using the hvfhd method for fetching HD video from the iplayer. (Using gip.) This seems to work quickly and well except for one problem. The files I get are 1280x720 image size, as was the case for when I used older methods. But the video is now 50fps rather than 25fps. Some of the files play OK with VLC as normal. But others produce no sound output. ffmprobe...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 21st 16 12:35 PM
by Pete Forman[_2_] Go to last post
20 333
Convert set of PNG files to MPG, MP4 or AVI file by NY
A bit of a long shot... I have a Super 8 home movie which was converted to an AVI file. However every third frame is a merger of fields from two adjacent frames, so if the frames in the original film were numbered 1 2 3 4 5 etc then the video has 1, 2, 3+4, 4, 5, 6+7, 7, 8, 9+10, etc. I want to remove the combined frames from the AVI file. I've found some software (Prism, by NCH) which can...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 18th 16 08:36 PM
by Dave W Go to last post
15 259
Women's Gymnastics by Seymour Prat
I thought the BBC's presentation of the beam events were very poor.
August 17th 16 11:57 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
5 161
Amy comments, Bill - Romanian bus driver story by NY
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1596067/british-bus-driver-refused-job-and-told-firm-are-hiring-romanians-only/ Stand back and light blue touch paper. I think Bill may self-combust :-) I thought discrimination acts made it illegal to advertise for (or make apparent to applicants during the recruitment process) that you want someone from a specific ethnic background or of a specific gender. If...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 17th 16 10:00 AM
by NY Go to last post
14 276
TOT uploading pictures by Me
Can anyone help? I want to put up some pix on the web from my Box/Dropbox accounts which I can then link to. I've seen it done in this group but each time I try it gives access to the entire account, not just the pix. I'm obviousy doing something wrong but what? Baffled, Bristol.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 16th 16 06:48 PM
by Roger Mills[_2_] Go to last post
12 263