Post New Thread
Breaking News: George Michael dead by Davey
You would think that nothing else had happened over Christmas, except the Russian 'plane crash. Every BBC News bulletin has led with the news about George Michael. But if you did not follow him or his singing, to keep on hearing about it is boring. Elvis, yes, he was important. But George Michael? Enough is enough! -- Davey.
December 28th 16 10:35 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
9 245
breaking news, less than 50 percent watch tv by Brian-Gaff
Well that is live tv, they alall either record it or just wait for the boxed set, which of course has no box and is basically streamed so you never actually own anything at all. TV is mostly passive and really probably now has had its day. Brian -- From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active Remember, if you don't like where I post
December 28th 16 10:04 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
5 187
Middle aged rock stars and Christmas by Brian Gaff
Two more gone this Christmas by the looks of it. What can one say? Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 28th 16 09:33 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
34 450
Local low-power transmitters by Steve Thackery[_4_]
I've been having some fun perusing the very informative Wolfbane web site (http://www.wolfbane.com/) and a question comes to mind. I see that a lot of low power local transmitters transmit only three of the muxes. For instance, near me I have Ambergate, Bolehill, Belper, Derby plus others, and they only transmit muxes 1, 2 and B. Does that mean that people using those transmitters are missing...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 28th 16 09:30 AM
by Roderick Stewart[_3_] Go to last post
49 623
The Crown by Brian-Gaff
Talking of Net Flicks. Though I don't use it myself I feel I have to congratulate them on not only putting audio description on many of their programmes, but in making it easy to both see a list of those that have it and also enable users to download them with AD and watch them out of a data linked area as well. Fully marks. Now Amazon Prime what is your excuse and for that matter what...
December 27th 16 04:29 PM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
0 124
Retro tech - British Relay by Dan[_3_]
Not seen this posted on here before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltI09lTuGjk Some interesting stuff, use of twisted pair, a pay tv box (insert 2/- for a film) a look inside the TV repair workshop & lots of footage of the tech of the time. Them were the days.
December 27th 16 04:09 PM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
1 141
Christmas tv. by Brian Gaff
I'm underwhelmed from what I've heard there is nothing on any of the main channels that is in any way new, there are lots of Christmas versions of well known stuff, all probably made last July, and there is a Dr Who, Sherlock which I find total crap, and what else? All the so called well known celebrities and comedians do not make me laugh, and most of them I've never heard of. mrs Browns...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 27th 16 12:06 PM
by pamela Go to last post
38 395
Do LED bulbs interfere with DAB radio? by Jim Lesurf[_2_]
In article , Scott wrote: There was no problem when the transformer was running halogen bulbs. Can the interference be passed backwards through the transformer into the mains? Yes, that may happen. Can't say more due to lack of detailed information. As the lights nearest the radio cause the greatest problem and
December 27th 16 08:56 AM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
0 124
News hand wringing. by Brian Gaff
I'm not normally annoyed by news, but the recent tendency to spin the Syria problem into some kind of a crime is starting to annoy me now. War as what happens when two sides cannot agree to live together and compromise.War kills people regardless of who they are whether they are kind to their mothers etc. maybe we need to be reminded what war is or we will just sanitise things like the us...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 25th 16 08:12 PM
by Benderthe.evilrobot Go to last post
14 227
Free wifi in Hull. by Adrian Caspersz
On 21/12/16 10:07, Brian Gaff wrote: No that is dial up speed. Its a bit like these shared bt wifi with phone things you encounter around the place. One I can connect to here is really awful. What is the point of such things if they are so slow? Even 3G can beat it. Brian I was once working in a London hotel that had guests complaining of
December 21st 16 10:49 AM
by Adrian Caspersz Go to last post
0 117
Will the Beeb change to HTML5 ? by Phi
Microsoft says that Flash content won't even be loaded, "improving performance, battery life, and security." If you frequent a site that relies on the feature, don't worry, as you'll still be able to enable it on-demand. When visiting a page that requires it, you'll be given the option to either allow it once, or...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 18th 16 03:51 PM
by Jim Lesurf[_2_] Go to last post
25 298
OT - embarrassing admission by Geoff Pearson
I confess - I've been reading news groups on Windows LiveMail 2011 - not a proper news reader. I don't like to reply to posts because it doesn't insert the proper signs. But now I've confessed I feel better and may change my ways. I use news.individual.net as my news server. Which reader do chaps/chapesses use/recommend? Geoff
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 17th 16 11:42 AM
by David[_14_] Go to last post
53 538
Satellite PVR refused to record Penguin Post Office in HD by Ian Jackson[_6_]
This afternoon, I was having a cup of tea, and 'The Penguin Post Office' happened to be on BBC2 HD (watching it live through my Manhattan satellite PVR, type Plaza HDR-S). I finished my tea, and had to go - but as I also wanted to see the end, I pressed the record button. A few seconds later, a 'Record failed' message appeared. I tried several times to record - even erasing each time what...
December 16th 16 04:18 PM
by Ian Jackson[_6_] Go to last post
0 196
So what are they? by Brian Gaff
I've just heard an advert, one of those annoying ones that assumes everybody knows what its about? It was for a shop selling 'Android TVs' as they put it. Now to me Android is the operating system google wrote for smart phones. If indeed real tvs are now using it, does this mean that the voice on android is going to be usable in the tv menus, if so, then bring it on, but somehow I suspect...
December 16th 16 05:15 AM
by Brian-Gaff Go to last post
9 214
BBC late running by Scott[_2_]
Both BBC One and BBC Two were running two minutes late at 10 pm last night. How could this happen?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 15th 16 10:13 AM
by Martin[_2_] Go to last post
74 516
tomtom ONE by Brian Gaff
OK it depends on the processor architecture and how they access memory. Obviously there is a limit on older processors, say 16bit of address space. If they use say a 32 bit or 64 bit processor then larger lumps of memory are addressable at the sametime. Brian -- ----- - This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
December 14th 16 09:53 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
0 117
Old friends by Steve Thackery[_4_]
Colleagues, None of you will remember me, but several years ago I was a fan and occasional contributor to this august group. When I moved house it was one of many things in my life that I left behind, especially as my ISP stopped providing a usenet server. Having need to put some money an aerial installer's way I immediately thought of you folks, and after much messing about I've found a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 14th 16 12:41 AM
by Steve Thackery[_4_] Go to last post
17 308
Beware low sat dishes. by Brian Gaff
Just heard a story that sounds a bit, um unlikely to me on one of those local stations nobody listens to except by accident. Apparently during the summer a neighbour turned their extension flat roof into a playground for the kids complete with fence, paddling pool and trampoline ( are they trying to kill their children?). However the crux of the story was that next doors flat roof had the...
December 13th 16 07:57 AM
by Brian Gaff Go to last post
4 144
3D glasses for Sony TV? by Kenny
Sony branded TDG-BT500A are nearly 50 per single pair. Cheaper brands of TDG-BT500A can be bought on Amazon or Ebay at 27 for 2 pairs. Will there be much difference between them? Kenny Cargill
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 12th 16 10:47 AM
by Kenny Go to last post
10 185
should the BBC bus in audiences for HIGNFY? by Nightjar
On 06-Dec-16 8:43 AM, Richard wrote: "Nightjar" wrote in message ... On 06-Dec-16 2:07 AM, Bill Wright wrote: On 06/12/2016 00:45, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: Just watched HIGMNFY tonight. No wonder you are so annnoyed. Your party getting taken to the cleaners at every turn.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 12th 16 09:03 AM
by Rod Speed Go to last post
45 355